Supply and Demand for cabana pricing on Coco Cay

HI,

Looking for others experiences--have been monitoring the price of cabanas for a September cruise and have noticed prices have remained the same for the last few months while inventory also seems to have remained the same (the ribbons that say only XX spots left have not changed).  Is it your experience that the laws of supply and demand generally kick in as the sailing date gets closer-In other words if no others are rented, will prices typically drop or does RC keep prices up and hope to sell spots on board for each particular cruise?

4 minutes ago, chfenton said:

Is it your experience that the laws of supply and demand generally kick in as the sailing date gets closer-In other words if no others are rented, will prices typically drop or does RC keep prices up and hope to sell spots on board for each particular cruise?

In my recent experience, they haven't been dropping prices. Others have suggested that they'd rather sell 5 at $3000 than 10 at $1500 (just using round numbers to illustrate obviously) and so leaving some empty doesn't concern them. Another potential issue is if they dropped the the price, everyone who had already booked at the higher price could cancel and re-book if they were willing to risk it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

In my recent experience, they haven't been dropping prices. Others have suggested that they'd rather sell 5 at $3000 than 10 at $1500 (just using round numbers to illustrate obviously) and so leaving some empty doesn't concern them. Another potential issue is if they dropped the the price, everyone who had already booked at the higher price could cancel and re-book if they were willing to risk it.

From what I saw in Dec at Labadee with the cabanas I would have to agree.....sky high prices remained prior to the sailing and half remained  empty the day we were there. People were staring at the ones occupied laughing at how much those people paid while all the others remained empty.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

From what I saw in Dec at Labadee with the cabanas I would have to agree.....sky high prices remained prior to the sailing and half remained  empty the day we were there. People were staring at the ones occupied laughing at how much those people paid while all the others remained empty.

This was our experience in Sept '23 and Jan '24. There were maybe 3 over the water cabanas that were being used.

• Like 2

I have been tracking a few key cruises with mock bookings and there have been interior room counts that have not been changed since the beginning of December of 2023.

Similar to items in this thread, if they start cutting the cabin fares, it unleashes a discount on any cabin that has already been booked.

Better to leave 20% of the cabins empty than give money back on the 80% that have been sold at a premium.

Very logical business sense unless the unsold percentage starts increasing. There is a point of diminishing returns.

8 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I have been tracking a few key cruises with mock bookings and there have been interior room counts that have not been changed since the beginning of December of 2023.

Similar to items in this thread, if they start cutting the cabin fares, it unleashes a discount on any cabin that has already been booked.

Better to leave 20% of the cabins empty than give money back on the 80% that have been sold at a premium.

Very logical business sense unless the unsold percentage starts increasing. There is a point of diminishing returns.

What I have noticed trending more recently is a huge price difference between GTY cabins verse an assigned cabin, Following my current April Wonder sailing....with many cabins still available in both Neighborhood balcony and Oceanview balcony.....they are asking double the pricing for assigned in both categories compared to booking an assigned. I don't ever remember pre-covid a disconnect between pricing like that. I remember pre-covid booking most GTY cabins saving maybe a couple hundred bucks maybe compared to an assigned....not what I am seeing now like where an assigned is saving thousands.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

What I have noticed trending more recently is a huge price difference between GTY cabins verse an assigned cabin, Following my current April Wonder sailing....with many cabins still available in both Neighborhood balcony and Oceanview balcony.....they are asking double the pricing for assigned in both categories compared to booking a GTY. I don't ever remember pre-covid a disconnect between pricing like that. I remember pre-covid booking most GTY cabins saving maybe a couple hundred bucks maybe compared to an assigned....not what I am seeing now like where a GTY is saving thousands compared to the assigned.

Edited by bajathree