Northern Europe and Scandinavia in May

TMSA

Happy Saturday everyone. Is anyone able to tell me their experiences of Northern Europe and Scandinavia/the Baltic sea in May? I've seen a very affordable 2 week Britannia cruise (B411). We've done Ventura and Arvia (also Virtuosa) and I'm viewing Britannia as somewhere inbetween. I actually liked Ventura but it was my first cruise and I do prefer the facilities of the larger ships but I did like the size of Ventura. I actually really like the look of Britannia but I think the things which would make it enjoyable for my children (will be 4 and 1) are the outside pools/splash zone which I doubt will be a possibility for that time of year. I rarely get the elder one to the kids club so I'm not sure there is enough to keep them, and us, entertained inside for 2 weeks. 

It's our last year of not being bound by the Summer holidays. I have looked at Arvia and all child places have gone, although i could check at balance due time, but the itineraries don't interest me as we've been to those places already. I dont want to pay money just for the sake of having a cruise when it doesn't actually appeal to me. I love the itinerary of this Britannia cruise.

Please feel free to enlighten me of freak heat waves and joyous times at sea 😀

Thank you in advance

You must be reading my mind! I'm looking at the Aurora cruise a week or so later and was also going to ask for views on weather, ports etc.  Perhaps the nice Scandinavian experts could give both of us their views on general aspects.

Regarding Britannia she is my favourite P&O ship and although I have no experience with children personally on all my cruises on her thr children and families all sem to be very happy with the offering.  I assume you are referring to there being no internal pool as your worry in inclement weather.  Apart from this I'd say that Britannia would offer the same sort of facilities as Ventura.  I have sailed Arvia and would say apart from the indoor pool offering Britannia's are superior being considerably larger and less crowded.

• Like 1

Thank you. You've got me wondering what we did now with my son on Ventura to entertain him. He used the kids club a lot there but there were still covid restrictions so we had to stay with him. We actually spent a lot of time in the baby room on Arvia and he came in with us so that could be an option on Britannia. I do remember we drank a lot of tea in the buffet and he was happy lining his cars up on the ledge of the windows. 

Yes i was thinking of the inside pool but i suppose my daughter wouldn't be allowed to use it anyway as she is in nappies. We didn't really use the indoor one on Arvia anyway. My son went in once then cried as a film came on that scared him. I also don't really feel comfortable in my swim stuff whilst loads of people sit around me watching a movie 🙄 

It really does look a great cruise and 2 weeks on what is essentially one large city break with everything included is amazing. I'm sure we would enjoy it. I've even applied @Selbourne logic and its only £63pp per night not including the kids. That is an inside but I'm still terrified of the balconies with the kids! It was £81 for 2 adults in a balcony albeit the chealest grade.

Although we can travel whenever, my son's nursey is attached to a school so he does still have the holidays off. I priced up some summer holiday cruises, including Britannia but it's truly eye watering. Britannia's itineraries seem far superior though. Is that just due to the size of Arvia and the ports it can get to?

I hope you get your answers and thank you again x

31 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

You must be reading my mind! I'm looking at the Aurora cruise a week or so later and was also going to ask for views on weather, ports etc.  Perhaps the nice Scandinavian experts could give both of us their views on general aspects.

Regarding Britannia she is my favourite P&O ship and although I have no experience with children personally on all my cruises on her thr children and families all sem to be very happy with the offering.  I assume you are referring to there being no internal pool as your worry in inclement weather.  Apart from this I'd say that Britannia would offer the same sort of facilities as Ventura.  I have sailed Arvia and would say apart from the indoor pool offering Britannia's are superior being considerably larger and less crowded.

We have been to Scandinavia/Baltic many times in May. I don't know if we are just lucky but we have never had weather so bad I can remember it. If that makes sense. One year we had a heat wave! Mostly it is like a fine day at home. 

The North Sea can be very choppy, cold and windy  

All the pools should be open

Edited by happy v
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, happy v said:

We have been to Scandinavia/Baltic many times in May. I don't know if we are just lucky but we have never had weather so bad I can remember it. If that makes sense. One year we had a heat wave! Mostly it is like a fine day at home. 

The North Sea can be very choppy, cold and windy  

All the pools should be open

Can you book this cruise too please then we might get your luck ☺️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TMSA said:

Can you book this cruise too please then we might get your luck ☺️ 

I would love too. However we have family commitments in May and June this year.😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TMSA said:

Happy Saturday everyone. Is anyone able to tell me their experiences of Northern Europe and Scandinavia/the Baltic sea in May? I've seen a very affordable 2 week Britannia cruise (B411). We've done Ventura and Arvia (also Virtuosa) and I'm viewing Britannia as somewhere inbetween. I actually liked Ventura but it was my first cruise and I do prefer the facilities of the larger ships but I did like the size of Ventura. I actually really like the look of Britannia but I think the things which would make it enjoyable for my children (will be 4 and 1) are the outside pools/splash zone which I doubt will be a possibility for that time of year. I rarely get the elder one to the kids club so I'm not sure there is enough to keep them, and us, entertained inside for 2 weeks. 

It's our last year of not being bound by the Summer holidays. I have looked at Arvia and all child places have gone, although i could check at balance due time, but the itineraries don't interest me as we've been to those places already. I dont want to pay money just for the sake of having a cruise when it doesn't actually appeal to me. I love the itinerary of this Britannia cruise.

Please feel free to enlighten me of freak heat waves and joyous times at sea 😀

Thank you in advance

We did Britannia last May ,it was superb .Seeing so many cities in that part of the World would have cost so much more if not for cruising .

The weather was great so we were lucky .

We did notice a lot of young couples with under 5yr olds .

Less mobility scooters ,more buggies .

Can’t comment on play areas sorry .

Britannia would be the perfect ship for us if it had the C deck balconies of Azura and Ventura .

We will definitely do that cruise again .Enjoy whatever you choose 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1