Someone explain this to me.

It is one of my silly Hobbies (or not- so - silly Hobbies) to price out vacations over and over again. Eventually I book them and we are leaving on a cruise in two weeks. However I see the following with Royal Caribbean all the time. Why are they booking every other room? I see this on almost every floor of several ships. It makes it very challenging to get connecting rooms. See picture for an example.

Screenshot_20240224_200208_Chrome.jpg

12 minutes ago, TheLargeFamily said:

It is one of my silly Hobbies (or not- so - silly Hobbies) to price out vacations over and over again. Eventually I book them and we are leaving on a cruise in two weeks. However I see the following with Royal Caribbean all the time. Why are they booking every other room? I see this on almost every floor of several ships. It makes it very challenging to get connecting rooms. See picture for an example.

Screenshot_20240224_200208_Chrome.jpg

The D1 cabins sleep four, the cabin that they are connected to only sleep two or three.  They aren't booking every other cabin, they are just showing you cabins that sleep four.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

The D1 cabins sleep four, the cabin that they are connected to only sleep two or three.  They aren't booking every other cabin, they are just showing you cabins that sleep four.

Ahhhh thank you! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheLargeFamily said:

Do you know why they don't often put rooms that sleep four people Side by side? It's very hard to get connecting rooms to accommodate eight people

I have no idea. Others have complained before too. It would make sense to have some available. 

9 hours ago, TheLargeFamily said:

Do you know why they don't often put rooms that sleep four people Side by side? It's very hard to get connecting rooms to accommodate eight people

Cabins are assigned to a muster station.  Muster stations are assigned to specific lifeboats.  Every soul on board requires a seat in a lifeboat.

This design criteria impacts their ability to make cabins that can sleep large numbers and where they can be located within muster zones.  It would be wasteful to make every cabin capable of sleeping four, or five, or six, but limiting bookings to satisfy the lifeboat criteria as different sized families book cabins.  So they fix cabin capacity to maximize potential guests versus lifeboat seats distributing guests around the ship in what can result in an imperfect solution as it relates to large groups.

The current outcome has been arrived at over decades of ship building with a lot of data behind the typical sized groups that book cabins.  The need to accommodate a party of eight split between two adjoining cabins of the same cabin type must not be a design criteria they feel is a requirement that will be in demand often enough, or the few such possible cabins that can accommodate this have been booked and you don’t see them available, or perhaps the request has been more popular for interior cabins since large family groups might seek to save money. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheLargeFamily said:

It is how the cabins are constructed so that the bathrooms are side by side to save on the plumbing. The layout of the bed and sofa then alternates and only one of those configurations will have the ability to sleep 4. It's the same for all of Quantum and Oasis class ships, you won't find 2 cabins that sleep 4 that connect or are side by side

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1