Norwegian Sky April 10th Brazil Visa

David Res

As Canadians we now require a visa to enter Brazil from 10th April 2024.

We are cruising from Rio on April 10th and entering 3 other ports in Brazil before crossing the Atlantic. 

We are spending a couple of days in Rio before the cruise and actually enter Brazil on 8th April. 

on that basis we assumed that we did not require a visa as we will already be in Brazil prior to the 10th. We received a confusing email from NCL stating we need a visa for any cruise on or after the 10th or boarding will be denied..... 

We have talked to NCL who won't give out visa advice and can't comment on the email they sent. 

We spoke to visa central who "don't think" we need a visa... but they suggest we get one if we are concerned. 

We wondered if it's because we're deemed to be sailing in and out of International waters

Is any one else having the same complication? 

9 hours ago, David Res said:

We received a confusing email from NCL stating we need a visa for any cruise on or after the 10th or boarding will be denied..... 

Why would you be confused? Just get the Visa that NCL says you need to board. Whether it ends up being right or wrong, are you willing to take the risk?

we are doing exactly the same thing. getting to rio on the 8th. i vacillated between applying for the visa or not, since i figured i'd be in brazil before the deadline.

since there are a great number of sea days, i didnt want to chance not being able to enter the other brazilian ports if a visa was in fact required.

in the end, my wife and i bit the bullet, and sent in our applications this evening.

i figured if we couldnt get off at the other ports,  it would be a very, very long time before we reached cape verde, that and the fact my wife would probably kill me for making her stay onboard that long.

now all i have to do is get her to get the yellow fever shot.

any way, see you on board. im the one with the glass of champagne in one hand, and an ice cold heineken in the other

BON VOYAGE

• Like 2

@David Res Welcome to CC! 

Yes, it is strongly recommended to obtain the visa even though you'll be arriving in Brazil on the 8th April. I would not want to be denied boarding the Star (by the way it's Norwegian STAR, not Sky).

You require an eVisa and you can apply online:

[Official] Brazil Evisa | Tourist eVisa (vfsevisa.com)

ENJOY!

P.S. I agree with @complawyer

Edited by bluesea777

Good luck with getting the Visa we need one for April 20th and it’s been 6 weeks jumping through hoops. We finally used Visa HQ to help us, for a fee of course. And our visa applications have been sent for approval. So now we wait 7-10 days to see if they want another picture or another scan of our passports. It has been. As enough that we are considering canceling our cruise!

19 hours ago, David Res said:

We received a confusing email from NCL stating we need a visa for any cruise on or after the 10th or boarding will be denied..... 

I agree with Complawyer. Regardless of how you interpret the law and the very unique circumstances of your travels, it will all come down to the minimum wage port agent checking you in. If you don't have the documentation that is on their checklist (or even in their automated workflow to collect), you will have issues. And if those issues are not resolved by the time that check-in closes, you will be denied boarding. 

The cruise line will be risk adverse and will not risk the ship being denied entry to any port because their passengers do not have the requisite documentation to make that entry. 

Be safe. Get the Visa. 

Edited by BirdTravels