Post-cruise day in Seattle

Hello all. Our group of 4 disembarks in Seattle from our Alaska cruise at about 8am on 23 May. We fly out of SEA at 6.05pm that day to start the long trek back to Australia. So I reckon we have about 6 or 7 hours to kill. Does anyone know of a tour guide who could pick us up at the pier, tour us around for the day then drop us at SEA? Or should we just get an airport hotel that does a day rate and hang out there.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Does anyone know of a tour guide who could pick us up at the pier, tour us around for the day then drop us at SEA?

There are plenty of tour options that are mentioned on the boards but keep in mind that Seattle is pretty easy to do on your own. Consider their Port Valet service which will pick up your bags at the pier and deliver them to the airport. Its free and they check your bags through. Personally I would walk around Pike Place area and find someplace fun for some drinks and a meal before you head to the airport. 

https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

3 hours ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Or should we just get an airport hotel that does a day rate and hang out there.

You could but you'd give up a day you could be spending downtown. The area around Seatac is pretty bland. If you do spend the day at a hotel take a look at the Cedarbrook Lodge which sort of defies logic in terms of how nice and fitting its location an airport hotel can be. 

• Thanks 1

What is your itinerary for returning to Oz?  The participating airlines in the Port Valet program are Alaska, American, Delta, Horizon, JetBlue, Southwest, and United, but I'm not certain at all that you can check bags all the way to Australia.  Airlines are required to do a passport and visa check (called a "Timatic" check) for international departures from the US, even if the first flight is a connecting one to some US airport where the long flight would begin.  I'm not certain you could use Port Valet in that circumstance. 

Here's a tour that's similar to what you're looking for.  Post Cruise City Tour | Seattle Express

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 12:31 AM, Gardyloo said:

What is your itinerary for returning to Oz?  The participating airlines in the Port Valet program are Alaska, American, Delta, Horizon, JetBlue, Southwest, and United, but I'm not certain at all that you can check bags all the way to Australia.  Airlines are required to do a passport and visa check (called a "Timatic" check) for international departures from the US, even if the first flight is a connecting one to some US airport where the long flight would begin.  I'm not certain you could use Port Valet in that circumstance. 

Here's a tour that's similar to what you're looking for.  Post Cruise City Tour | Seattle Express

We start with Alaska Air for SEA to SFO then fly Qantas from SFO back to PER via SYD. It's a long haul but Aussies are used to that. 😁

36 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

We start with Alaska Air for SEA to SFO then fly Qantas from SFO back to PER via SYD. It's a long haul but Aussies are used to that. 😁

So the good news is you can participate with Alaska. I wasn't aware of any direct SEA to Sydney flights so thought that might be the case. 

• Thanks 1

If you have any interest in aviation, the Museum of Flight located between downtown Seattle and Seatac, is highly rated by all who visit it.

You could spend a few hours there, find a nearby restaurant or bar for late lunch and then get to the airport in plenty of time for your flight without having to stress.

• Like 1