Antarctica Avian Flu

wyocruiser

A deadly strain of bird flu has been found on mainland Antarctica for the first time, according to scientists, raising concerns over the risk of mass mortality of the continent’s huge colonies of penguins and other animals found nowhere else on Earth.

Researchers on Feb. 24 confirmed the presence of the H5 subtype of avian influenza in two dead seabirds, called skuas, near an Argentine base and scientific research station located on the Antarctic Peninsula, according to the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC).

“This discovery demonstrates for the first time that the highly pathogenic avian influenza virus has reached Antarctica, despite the distance and natural barriers that separate it from other continents,” officials said Sunday.

This is truly devastating for all wildlife in Antarctica.  It will be interesting how IAATO and the cruise lines adapt to this next season.  I’m now more grateful that I went a year ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wind is currently there and the Cloud just left—landings as usual.  We were there on the Wind in December.  Most of the fatalities at that time had been in the seal population, with a few dead birds but at the time it was suspected that it was avian flu, but not confirmed.  In January tissue samples were analyzed and it confirmed it was indeed bird flu.  Again it still seems to manifest itself more so in the seal population vs penguin pop.  I think the current ships there are the last to visit this season, we shall see.  The authorities in Gryviken were very thorough in examining our outerwear before we could go ashore.  The bird flu cannot be stopped, as it has migrated this far south and is usually transmitted via migrating birds, so there is no way to stop it.

35 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

The bird flu cannot be stopped, as it has migrated this far south and is usually transmitted via migrating birds, so there is no way to stop it.

Exactly.  It was found in dead skuas, which had obviously flown there and not come as cruise ship passengers.  Now that the cat is out of the bag [to mix metaphors], cruise pax aren't likely to do more damage.

35 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Exactly.  It was found in dead skuas, which had obviously flown there and not come as cruise ship passengers.  Now that the cat is out of the bag [to mix metaphors], cruise pax aren't likely to do more damage.

However, ships are taking excessive care that there is no transmission from site to site, island to island.  I think @bohaiboyis slightly incorrect t about landings as usual.  We did some landings in Dec/Jan, but some areas were off limits.  There were a few more zodiac cruises instead, which were still great for viewing birds and seals on beaches, ice floes and in the water.  The current expedition on Cloud are having a whale of a time!

1 minute ago, Port Power said:

However, ships are taking excessive care that there is no transmission from site to site, island to island.  

That was my point.  Until the virus had spread to Antarctica, 'excess of caution' measures had justification.  But now it's too late, so ships should go back to the prior procedures.

45 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was my point.  Until the virus had spread to Antarctica, 'excess of caution' measures had justification.  But now it's too late, so ships should go back to the prior procedures.

I think extra care still needs to taken.  The virus isn’t necessarily everywhere.  Also, the scout zodiac will assess situation ashore.  They won’t take passengers if there are a lot of bodies lying about.  That is a quote  expedition leader on a Silver Wind.  We were told that nature will resolve the influenza situation after about two year in the normal life cycle.

Scientists are now warning that the Bird flu may well evolve to infect humans. bird flu in humans usually has a high mortality.

They suspect that there is mammal to mammal transmission though not proven. But at one Elephant seal colony on Argentina's Atlantic coast 17,400 pups died last season. Too many to be all infected by birds.

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/bird-flu-strain-raises-alarm-virus-kills-south-american-wildlife-2024-03-13/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Daily-Briefing&utm_term=031324&user_email=42c279be87db2e6b362e5c5af53114ca6a8bab3e0d36948cf7872b29529df7e9