Sled Dog Tours

MistyRo76

We just booked our first Alaskan cruise and my daughter is dying to see some sled dogs! She'll be almost 11 when we cruise. Our cruise goes to Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Which of these locations would be best to do a sled dog tour? And are there any private tour operators that are recommended for this type of tour? 

Thanks! 

Just keep in mind that unless you fly out to a glacier, any sled dog tours will be done on a wheeled sled. If you're in Skagway, if you take a tour into the Yukon that stops at Caribou Crossing in Carcross, they have sled dogs and puppies there.

• Like 1

As posted above, the sled used on dirt trails looks like the frame of a Volkswagen.

Temsco is used by the cruise lines for dogsledding in the snow in Skagway.  Tour operators act as "middle-men" for them.  The helicopter flight and being pulled through the snow is a thrill of a lifetime ($$$$).  There is also a chance to pet/scratch some of the friendlier sled dogs as well as a chance to play with new puppies.

image.jpeg.87b8de563ca32f3e69acb1cc36ea6246.jpeg

image.jpeg.bfbdd38b6894e557e523c1f010aa14db.jpeg

image.jpeg.a5130b5eb28613b4de0fec143cae4bcd.jpeg

image.jpeg.30ef559fa250ca6c02b2c5f3bfbf1fb0.jpeg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are taking one of these Helicopter/Glacier/Dog Sledding excursions when we stop in Juneau on our cruise in June.  This has to be what my wife an I are most looking forward to on our cruise to Alaska.  It is expensive, but may be our only time cruising to Alaska and do not want to have any regrets about what we should have done.  Like most say, once in a lifetime experience.  We did book through Princess and feel we got a pretty reasonable deal with one of their specials. 

1 hour ago, Cruise-a-Hallic said:

We are taking one of these Helicopter/Glacier/Dog Sledding excursions when we stop in Juneau on our cruise in June.  This has to be what my wife an I are most looking forward to on our cruise to Alaska.  It is expensive, but may be our only time cruising to Alaska and do not want to have any regrets about what we should have done.  Like most say, once in a lifetime experience.  We did book through Princess and feel we got a pretty reasonable deal with one of their specials. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic. 

This will be truly an amazing event for you.  My photos are from Skagway but your experience in Juneau will be similar.  Don't be surprised when you see that all of the dogs do not look like the ones in the movies.  Very few blue-eyed huskies and dogs of different sizes.  Big dogs are in the back for pulling and the smaller dogs in the front for steering.

If possible, use a polarizing filter on your camera as the snow is very bright and to reduce the glare through the helicopter windows.

Seating on the helicopter is assigned by weight to balance the craft, so hope for an outside seat to get photos in flight.

Enjoy your first cruise to Alaska.  Many return for more.

When we were in Skagway a couple of years ago, we rented a car and made a stop at the Tutshi Sled Dog Tour along the Klondike Highway. We got to play with dogs, get a talk from the owner/Iditarod driver, and then go on a "sled ride" with the dogs. I would definitely recommend it.

Posted (edited)

There are basically two options for sled dogs - one involves the fairly expensive helicopter tours that allow you to do the dog sled ride on actual snow. It sounds cool, but for many the price is prohibitive.

Other options would be in Juneau and Skagway. Outside Juneau you can do a tour to Dog Sled Summer Camp and get a good look at how they raise, care for, and train the dogs as well as a sled ride on dirt.

In Skagway, you have the option mentioned by gvgseg which I have heard great things about, and you can find a similar option at Caribou Crossing where you can hold the puppies and do a sled ride on dirt. Here is a link with information:

https://www.wildadventureyukon.ca/

Edited by karatemom2