Shore Things on Greek Island Glow

We are first time Virgin Voyages cruisers (only 2nd cruise ever). It was always my understanding that booking excursions/shore things through the cruise line helps ensure that they won't leave you behind if there is a problem with the excursion getting back. (Is this true?) However, I've seen some negative feedback on Virgin's shore-things. Are there shore-things (for Greek Island Glow) that you would or wouldn't recommend? If booking excursions separate from the cruiseline, how do you figure out transportation to get to the excursion?

Specifically - we were going to do Ferry Ride & Tour of Divine Delos, but couldn't tell from the description if this is actually a guided tour or if they just get you to the island and back?

Loaded questions…

First, yes, if you book a shore excursion through the cruise line, they are not suppose to leave you behind. I’ve seen them wait for sponsored excursions. 
Recommended with GIG- We did the home cooking demo in Mykonos. I would highly recommend it. The hostess was entertaining, knowledgeable and made fantastic food. I didn’t think I liked Greek food, but the whole meal (and the wine) was fantastic. I’ve made her tzatziki several times and someday, I’ll make her Souvlaki. I’ll attach photos below. 
Booking separately depends on the provider. Some pick up at the port. Some require a taxi or bus. Just make sure you get the arrival time correct on the information form. 
I’m sorry I can’t help with Delos. We didn’t do that one. 

IMG_6384.jpeg

IMG_6386.jpeg

IMG_6387.jpeg

IMG_6393.jpeg

IMG_6408.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5508.jpeg

• Like 4

Also highly recommend the lunch with the locals at her home.  It was so much fun and the food was delicious.  If you decide to go to Delos on a private non Virgin excursion, do it on the first day.  The ship won't be leaving without you unless you camp out on Delos and stay too long on the second day!   

• Like 2

For delos specifically, I think the fact that you can do it on the morning of the 2nd day through the cruise is a huge gain. I booked it specifically for that because it's more awkward to do your own thing with the more limited time that morning. Even if they just drop us off it still seems worth it compared to trying to fit it into the 1st day. 

• Like 1

They will hold the ship or get you to the next port if you book with the cruise line. Was on a Royal Caribbean excursion that was 45mins late and they held the ship. Mayan ruins tour out of Cozumel. 

We did Scenic Santorini & Oia on Your Own. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Big advantage is your tender goes to the ferry port, you get a bus to Oia, and then bused back to Fira. Really recommend the earlier tour, lots of people showed up and we were glad to be leaving. Tour guide was awesome, lots of info about the island.

In Bodrum we did Turkish Cultures in the Contemporary World. It was a pretty decent tour. Very long bus ride, no way was it 40mins to Etrim. The rug sales pitch was not too bad, but we had a few people interested in buying so we just enjoyed our coffee and snacks.

We dyi’ed Rhodes and Mykonos. Unless I’m traveling a very long distance from the port I’m fine with a 3rd party tour. Any well reviewed tour group is going to be aware of the importance of getting you back to port in time. I also will never book a tour, ship or 3rd party, that doesn’t give me a couple of hours of padding before the all aboard.

• Like 1

I've not done a greek cruise yet (heading out on the first of the season this May!), but I usually pick the cruise line's excursions if I'm going to do one at all, for the reason you mentioned, the guarantee back to the ship. Additionally, in ports where the ship is tendered if you are on a ship-sponsored excursion you will get tender priority to get off without having to worry about booking an early tender. 

I think some of the recent bad buzz about Virgin's excursions is coming out of the new Caribbean ports. I expect there will be some adjusting there and things will sort out. They've already had a season in Greece, so I figure those should be more reliably decent. I booked that Delos tour, and the fact that the word "tour" is used in the title, implies to me that there is some sort of guided activity on the island. Could be wrong, I guess I'll find out! I've taken excursions through Virgin on nearly every sailing I've done, Caribbean and Europe, and only 1 was kinda meh. But even that, wasn't Virgin's fault. Every other cruise line in port that day had the same tour running. It was just the way it was if you wanted to see that particular attraction. 

So I guess what I'm saying is, if it looks like something you want to do, give it a try!

• Like 1

Rhodes has quite a bit to see in the town without needing an excursion. We didn’t do any tours or excursions at any of the Greek ports and found something to see everywhere.

• Like 1

We did the Delos tour through Virgin and wouldn't do it again, even not through a cruise line. We thought for sure the ferry was going sink because one was out of service so they jammed everyone in one boat. Once arriving on the island it was absolute chaos. After finding our guide we walked for what felt like forever through a wild crowd of people, especially very large groups that just trampled everyone else. Our guide was incredibly monotone and boring, no energy whatsoever and there was absolutely zero shade. 

We have done many excursions through Virgin and a lot of have been great, we just didn't think Delos was great at all. 

Has anyone done the Mandarin Oriental beach club day in Bodrum ? Was thinking of going to the hotel for a spa day so interested to hear if anyone did the shore thing excursion there. 

I did, I absolutely loved it. Beautiful property, grounds were so lush, pools stunning with a view, beach was lovely, towels, chairs, bathrooms etc all top notch, staff was eager to please. I did go in early October so the season was over and the hotel was pretty dead so I can’t speak to what it would be like with a full house but my favorite day of my Greek cruise even if I can’t say I took in any real Turkish culture

38 minutes ago, Lauren-esq said:

I did, I absolutely loved it. Beautiful property, grounds were so lush, pools stunning with a view, beach was lovely, towels, chairs, bathrooms etc all top notch, staff was eager to please. I did go in early October so the season was over and the hotel was pretty dead so I can’t speak to what it would be like with a full house but my favorite day of my Greek cruise even if I can’t say I took in any real Turkish culture

Thank you. Do you recall what time you got to the hotel, as we hope to book some massages also. 

41 minutes ago, AndyUK said:

Thank you. Do you recall what time you got to the hotel, as we hope to book some massages also. 

I think maybe around 10? It was about a 25-30 minute drive from the port. I think we stayed until 3? Nothing was mentioned about spa offerings but again this was the last week or so of the season (it was not available for booking until I got onboard I guess because they realized how good the weather still was) and the property was somewhat of a ghost town that day. 

11 hours ago, Lauren-esq said:

I think maybe around 10? It was about a 25-30 minute drive from the port. I think we stayed until 3? Nothing was mentioned about spa offerings but again this was the last week or so of the season (it was not available for booking until I got onboard I guess because they realized how good the weather still was) and the property was somewhat of a ghost town that day. 

Thank you! Very helpful!! 

I went on this cruise last year and this is what we did:-

Athens - we went to the Acropolis.  When you arrive at the entrance stick to the right hand side and walk to the front.   There were private guides there who take you on a tour which was so interesting.  Well worth the money.  Possibly £100 a couple.  Loved Athens well worth going a day beforehand.

Santorini - if there are more than a couple of ships in I would stay on the ship.  You get tendered in and then you have to catch a cable car up to the town.  Absolute nightmare often more than a two hour wait in the heat.  The alternative ways of getting up to the town are on the back of a mule or to walk the steps which are endless.  I went up on a mule in a group and the poor people walking up were being squashed against the wall and looked terrified.  We walked down and the shallow steps are very slippery as they have a marble edge. My legs were like jelly when we got down. When you do get to the town it is absolutely heaving.  Such a shame as I have heard it is a beautiful island.

Rhodes - loved it here and just a short walk from the ship - beautiful ancient walled town with a wonderful castle. Just nice to stroll around and then the best place is a bar called the Socrates Garden which is a wonderful oasis right off of the Main Street perfect for getting out of the sun. We stayed there playing Rummikub and drinking for a few hours.  

Bodrum we just mooched about and bought a moody handbag etc.

Mykonos - we went to Super Paradise Beach Club for the day which was fabulous. Very chilled and relaxing in lovely surroundings.  We got off the boat and walked to the right, up a slight hill and there were a load of taxis.  Had lunch in the neighbouring beach club and then got a lift back with some ladies who were on a different cruise.  You can book the club in advance but when we arrived early we were the first there so had the entire bay to ourselves. www.super-paradise.com.  Don't. confused it with Paradise Beach Club which is where you go for raving etc.    Mykonos is lovely to just wander around with lots of photo opportunities.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

IMG_7180.thumb.jpeg.1b2183b4250a604d2b8578eeb7b76d31.jpegIMG_7180.thumb.jpeg.1b2183b4250a604d2b8578eeb7b76d31.jpeg

IMG_7127.jpeg