Accessible tours?

Vallesan

Oceania are now offering ‘accessible’ tours. Has anybody taken any of these tours?

Question for anybody who has been to Ephesus…..

Oceania offer an ‘accessible tour’ which allows you to “meander through the ruins”. Whilst the vehicle Oceania use seems to be accessible I would be really surprised if Ephesus would be suitable for anybody with walking difficulties? Comments please.

We all know that the ‘descriptions’ of tours, easy, etc. can be really misleading so I’d really like to hear from anybody who has actually taken a tour

Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Oceania are now offering ‘accessible’ tours. Has anybody taken any of these tours?

Question for anybody who has been to Ephesus…..

Oceania offer an ‘accessible tour’ which allows you to “meander through the ruins”. Whilst the vehicle Oceania use seems to be accessible I would be really surprised if Ephesus would be suitable for anybody with walking difficulties? Comments please.

We all know that the ‘descriptions’ of tours, easy, etc. can be really misleading so I’d really like to hear from anybody who has actually taken a tour

Thank you in advance.

We were there this past May and I would not say that the ruins are very accessible for people with moderate to severe walking difficulties and even more so if any light rain as would then be downright treacherous. Steps and uneven paths, etc.  We had two relatively ‘younger, well you know relative to typical Oceania cruisers’ people in our group fall while going through the ruins on a bright sunny day. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

We were there this past May and I would not say that the ruins are very accessible for people with moderate to severe walking difficulties and even more so if any light rain as would then be downright treacherous. Steps and uneven paths, etc.  We had two relatively ‘younger, well you know relative to typical Oceania cruisers’ people in our group fall while going through the ruins on a bright sunny day. 

Thank you you have confirmed my suspicions. Oceania say…

PLEASE NOTES: Tour includes step-free routes, shorter distances and no stairs. Accessible restrooms with wide doors for wheelchairs are present along the tour route. Vehicles are adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) 

I just think this is generalised advertising blurb. The tours are run by local agents and I really can’t imagine a ‘step free route’ in Ephesus. In fact we were in Kusadasi with another line last September and the evening tour was cancelled because it had been raining!

2 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Thank you you have confirmed my suspicions. Oceania say…

PLEASE NOTES: Tour includes step-free routes, shorter distances and no stairs. Accessible restrooms with wide doors for wheelchairs are present along the tour route. Vehicles are adapted with an access ramp (or lift where available) 

I just think this is generalised advertising blurb. The tours are run by local agents and I really can’t imagine a ‘step free route’ in Ephesus. In fact we were in Kusadasi with another line last September and the evening tour was cancelled because it had been raining!

I think what they may be referring to is there is a path that would take you by the theatre at the beginning which would take you to the main ruins area. So yes, you could see the ruins but not actually take the part of tour which actually goes into the ruins and theatre which is where the actual guide will be and telling you about what you are actually seeing. It really was a great tour overall. 

Just now, pinotlover said:

We were there last June from off the Vista. I would say that anyone expecting 2,000 year old ruins, in an earthquake zone, to be “ accessible “ has more than physical limitations! 🤔

I agree 100%!

If you read my response to the previous post you will see what Oceania are actually saying about their accessible tours. I actually think they are completely irresponsible. Some people will read the blurb and think that Ephesus is actually wheelchair/scooter friendly!

I think that maybe Oceania is providing ‘accessible’ trips because there is now a SM allowance so they have to provide something for the mobility challenged. Just providing an accessible vehicle does not automatically make a tour ‘friendly’!

13 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

I think what they may be referring to is there is a path that would take you by the theatre at the beginning which would take you to the main ruins area. So yes, you could see the ruins but not actually take the part of tour which actually goes into the ruins and theatre which is where the actual guide will be and telling you about what you are actually seeing. It really was a great tour overall. 

This is general description of the tour from ‘manage my booking’.

“Wander among the excavated ruins of Ephesus, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Visit the Great Theater where St. Paul preached and the Library of Celsus.

See a modest building nearby that is believed to be the last residence of the Virgin Mary.

Gain an appreciation for the past through ruins in and around ancient Ephesus, including a column from the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. As you meander through the remains of this UNESCO World Heritage site, you will visit the Great Theater where St. Paul preached the Gospel. It can hold 25,000 spectators, so you can imagine the scene when the house was full. Other highlights include the Fountain of Trajan with its regal statue of the emperor and the Library of Celsus, a monument constructed as a mausoleum with a separate library for scrolls and codexes. Nearby, you will find the House of the Virgin. Believed to be the last residence of the Virgin Mary, the modest dwelling contains a bedroom, kitchen and an altar adorned with images of Mary. Although archaeologists date the building to the 6th century, the foundations may be from the 1st century, the time of Mary.”
Then it notes ‘step free etc’

Maybe I’m wrong because I’ve not toured Ephesus but does this sound feasible to you? Thanks.

Edited by Vallesan

11 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

See a modest building nearby that is believed to be the last residence of the Virgin Mary.

Gain an appreciation for the past through ruins in and around ancient Ephesus, including a column from the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. As you meander through the remains of this UNESCO World Heritage site, you will visit the Great Theater where St. Paul preached the Gospel. It can hold 25,000 spectators, so you can imagine the scene when the house was full. Other highlights include the Fountain of Trajan with its regal statue of the emperor and the Library of Celsus, a monument constructed as a mausoleum with a separate library for scrolls and codexes. Nearby, you will find the House of the Virgin. Believed to be the last residence of the Virgin Mary, the modest dwelling contains a bedroom, kitchen and an altar adorned with images of Mary. Although archaeologists date the building to the 6th century, the foundations may be from the 1st century, the time of Mary.”

Maybe I’m wrong because I’ve not toured Ephesus but does this sound feasible to you? Thanks.

You have to read it carefully, but (as someone who's been to Ephesus more than a handful of times), I think they would drop you off at the lower entrance, where the theatre is. From there I think it could be "step free" (I assume that means no stairs?) to the Theatre, which is near that lower exit, and then a short level walk to the Library of Celsus, which is the iconic showpiece of the site. 

I'm not sure about the Fountain of Trajan as I think you'd have to ascend at least part of a sloped path to see it...  Maybe you could see it from afar. 

What wouldn't be included would be the ascent (or descent, depending on direction traveled) up Curetes street or the Terrace Houses, which require many steps.

The "Temple of Artemis" remains are not actually AT the Ephesus site but a short drive away. To say they are remains is kind, as it is a single column of the temple which has been righted to show its location. Most of the rest of the stone has been carted away for use in later monasteries and mosques. You can easily see it from the vehicle or by getting out of the vehicle and standing on the shoulder of the road.

The "House of Virgin Mary" (built after the time of Mary, so go figure....) is also not AT the Ephesus site. I haven't been there -- no interest -- but according to this site, there is a wheelchair-accessible route.

Edited by cruisemom42

7 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

That is a good description of the tour but I personally do not think you would be able to actually tour into the ruins. See from a distance?  Yes.  Enter and scooter or push a wheelchair through the ruins? No. With regard to House of Virgin Mary, that is at a different site with a bus ride to get there after the ruins. Honestly I do not recall what the access to the house entailed. It was uphill but I do not recall if on even paved pathway or if included steps or not. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

You have to read it carefully, but (as someone who's been to Ephesus more than a handful of times), I think they would drop you off at the lower entrance, where the theatre is. From there I think it could be "step free" (I assume that means no stairs?) to the Theatre, which is near that lower exit, and then a short level walk to the Library of Celsus, which is the iconic showpiece of the site. 

I'm not sure about the Fountain of Trajan as I think you'd have to ascend at least part of a sloped path to see it...  Maybe you could see it from afar. 

What wouldn't be included would be the ascent (or descent, depending on direction traveled) up Curetes street or the Terrace Houses, which require many steps.

The "Temple of Artemis" remains are not actually AT the Ephesus site but a short drive away. To say they are remains is kind, as it is a single column of the temple which has been righted to show its location. Most of the rest of the stone has been carted away for use in later monasteries and mosques. You can easily see it from the vehicle or by getting out of the vehicle and standing on the shoulder of the road.

The "House of Virgin Mary" (built after the time of Mary, so go figure....) is also not AT the Ephesus site. I haven't been there -- no interest -- but according to this site, there is a wheelchair-accessible route.

Thank you a really good  description of the tour.

There was a decent pathway UP to the Virgin Mary House. A wheelchair could never enter the House and anyone with mobility issues would struggle to get through. It would mostly be the uphill climb to view the building from the outside.

• Like 1

We took a tour of Ephesus a few years ago.  I do have mobility issues and use a cane.  But we started at the top and made it all the way through to the library and amphitheater.  I know the only reason I was able to do it was because we were on a semi-private tour with another couple.  We didn't book the tour but found out about it here on a roll call.  Her husband also had mobility issues and she was looking for someone who wanted to take the tour but do it slow.  It worked out fine.  I can't say it wasn't difficult at times but I'm so glad that we did it as it was beautiful.  The only way it did work is our tour guide led us at a very show pace and knew all the rocks where we could sit for a few minutes while she explained things.  We saw the ships tours with the guide holding a sign in the air passing us all the time but the end we made it too.  I could easily understand why those who are much more mobile wouldn't want me on a tour slowing them down.  Sometimes you have to pay a little more to get what can meet your needs.  We've had very good luck with private or semi-private tours on our past couple of cruises.  Yes, they cost more but I've been able to go place like Ephesus that I never thought I'd be able to visit.

We also visited the Virgin Mary house.  It was a beautiful peaceful place and I found it much easier to navigate but I also agree that it would be difficult for a wheelchair.  Also, the ride to the house is beautiful.

I wish I could tell you the name of our tour guide and the company but since I didn't book the tour I don't know.  But I'm sure there are others who are willing to fit people's needs.

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

There was a decent pathway UP to the Virgin Mary House. A wheelchair could never enter the House and anyone with mobility issues would struggle to get through. It would mostly be the uphill climb to view the building from the outside.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, iowananny said:

We took a tour of Ephesus a few years ago.  I do have mobility issues and use a cane.  But we started at the top and made it all the way through to the library and amphitheater.  I know the only reason I was able to do it was because we were on a semi-private tour with another couple.  We didn't book the tour but found out about it here on a roll call.  Her husband also had mobility issues and she was looking for someone who wanted to take the tour but do it slow.  It worked out fine.  I can't say it wasn't difficult at times but I'm so glad that we did it as it was beautiful.  The only way it did work is our tour guide led us at a very show pace and knew all the rocks where we could sit for a few minutes while she explained things.  We saw the ships tours with the guide holding a sign in the air passing us all the time but the end we made it too.  I could easily understand why those who are much more mobile wouldn't want me on a tour slowing them down.  Sometimes you have to pay a little more to get what can meet your needs.  We've had very good luck with private or semi-private tours on our past couple of cruises.  Yes, they cost more but I've been able to go place like Ephesus that I never thought I'd be able to visit.

We also visited the Virgin Mary house.  It was a beautiful peaceful place and I found it much easier to navigate but I also agree that it would be difficult for a wheelchair.  Also, the ride to the house is beautiful.

I wish I could tell you the name of our tour guide and the company but since I didn't book the tour I don't know.  But I'm sure there are others who are willing to fit people's needs.

Thank you. This tour would just be for 5 people plus another five in another vehicle. So it could work?

Many thanks for all your input. Much appreciated.

Check out some videos and other graphic depictions of the sites. We did both--Ephesus & the house in the hills--off Riviera in 11/2023.

For Ephesus, we came from the top and walked down. Didn't see any scooters or walkers. No way you'd be able to get around inside the ruins. As someone said, if you come in from the bottom you could see the theatre and get to the Library of Celsus. Then it goes uphill.

For the house, there is a wheelchair-accessible ramp that would get you up to the house, but it is tiny and crowded. Don't think a wheelchair can get inside. Takes all of 1 minute to see the house inside. This is tied to a strange 19th century claim. Color me completely unimpressed with the claim. (And only the Turkish government puts a police station next to such a site, on top of a "mountain" where tourists go. They don't like it if you take pictures of them or go near them or their compound.)

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 6:20 AM, cruisemom42 said:

Great information. I wish they'd put it somewhere where all could see it.