Soft serve ice cream

Sunshine42794

On the ships that I've been on, there was soft serve available to everyone most (but not all) afternoons (~ 2:00 or 3:00-5:00pm) somewhere on the ship. However, it was not self-serve. You had to stand in line for someone to serve you.

On Meraviglia, they had several soft serve flavors available in the pool area just before the entrance to the buffet.

On Seashore and Seascape, only Vanilla and Chocolate were available (I think one day they had strawberry instead of chocolate) at the dessert station in the very back of the buffet.  

It is worth mentioning again that the gelato is $4 for one scoop and $6 for two scoops. The third soft serve ice cream machine was not working out at the adult only Infinity Pool. The one outside of the Market Place buffet at the Jungle Pool gelato station works and opens at 1pm. One morning at the Long Island pool I saw the soft serve ice cream machines filled and ready to serve (7 am). I inquired. The cones of soft serve are $5, Pina Colada or Strawberry Daiquiri ...Or a blend of both called a "Miami Vice". All non alcoholic. The soft serve ice cream is included in the non-alcoholic and kid's beverage packages. Ice cream sundaes are complimentary for dessert every lunch and dinner in all the MDRs.

Soft Serve ice cream machine is moved out most every afternoon inside the Market Place buffet starboard side Bread Station for complimentary cones 3:30 to 4:30 (however since this one is on wheels it can be moved to the back of the Market Place buffet next to the bar instead).. 

When I was on the MSC Meraviglia in July, there was a permanent station for (free) soft serve at the main pool.  It was only open for a few hours in the afternoon.

It was not self-serve; they had cups and cones.  (Most of the time, anyway.  Sometimes they ran out of one or the other.)

On our trip, they only had two flavors available at a time.  I recall only vanilla and chocolate, but I didn't go every day.

They also had some sprinkles that you could add.  I'm not into sprinkles on my ice cream; I don't think it adds anything flavor-wise.  (If they had had chopped peanuts, on the other hand, I'd be all in on that.)

Whatever formula they used for the soft-serve was fantastic, in my opinion!  I've recently sailed on Carnival and their soft-serve is terrible.  MSC's was worlds better than Carnival's.  (My opinion only.)

AGAIN - this was FREE.  As was mentioned already, there are options to pay for frozen desserts elsewhere on the ship.

-Jim

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Sunshine42794 said:

This may sound like an odd question but I thought I read somewhere that you need to have at least the non alcoholic package to have soft serve ice cream is that true?

On Seascape it's included only with the Minor's package. And even then the staff wasn't always aware and tried to charge our kid for it.

We only managed to get soft serve about 3 times on our 7 day cruise in November on Seascape. All sorts of issues...

It was available for free for about an hour each day in the buffet - long lines..... Otherwise, it was not free. The good news about the soft serve is that it was delicious all three times.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I just got off the Divina and there was free soft serve available on either side of the pool deck in the afternoons. Chocolate, vanilla, or swirl. Only cones were available, no dishes.

20 hours ago, Notch8 said:

When I was on the MSC Meraviglia in July, there was a permanent station for (free) soft serve at the main pool.  It was only open for a few hours in the afternoon.

It was not self-serve; they had cups and cones.  (Most of the time, anyway.  Sometimes they ran out of one or the other.)

On our trip, they only had two flavors available at a time.  I recall only vanilla and chocolate, but I didn't go every day.

They also had some sprinkles that you could add.  I'm not into sprinkles on my ice cream; I don't think it adds anything flavor-wise.  (If they had had chopped peanuts, on the other hand, I'd be all in on that.)

Whatever formula they used for the soft-serve was fantastic, in my opinion!  I've recently sailed on Carnival and their soft-serve is terrible.  MSC's was worlds better than Carnival's.  (My opinion only.)

AGAIN - this was FREE.  As was mentioned already, there are options to pay for frozen desserts elsewhere on the ship.

-Jim

I concur!  The free soft serve was delicious😋