Another cell phone question.

I asked on a different cruising site, and most of the answers were missing the point.  So, let me start by saying... I don't need Data or Wifi.  I'm not going to be checking in on Facebook, email or anyplace else.  But I do have 2 questions.  I have Xfinity mobile.  There is no option to pay/subscribe to cellular at sea or any other cell service on the ship.  Will be on Carnival by the way.

My first question is: If I turn my phone on (leaving data *off*) for 15 minutes a day on the ship to see if there are any texts or voicemails waiting, what is cellular at sea likely going to charge me for 15 mins, no data?

Second.  Xfinity offers a fee to use my phone all I want at ports.  But it says I can skip paying that, and send/Rec texts cheap "al la carte", and make calls that way also.  Same question... With Data off, am I going to get stung if the phone is on in port?  Won't be making any calls, just would like to have it on in case something at home pops up. Would be Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

Thanks.  

Cellular at Sea is the service through the ship satellite and is very, very expensive.  In port you can go to a free WiFi area and get online that day though you indicated a fee for that - not your issue but we do pay $10/day we actually use it if outside US, Canada, and Mexico.

If your provider, Xfinity, does not have a working agreement with Cellular at Sea you may be unable to use that service.  Cellular at Sea is a private company and bills for its services through the Cell phone plans with which it has agreements.

We are Xfinity customers for our WiFi (and some other services) but would not dream of using their cell plan.  While their plans sound like a good deal, they are awful for those of us who do a lot of International travel and cruising.  It is a good example of "you get what you pay for."  We use T-Mobile, since with most plans it works (with no additional daily or monthly fees) in over 200 countries.  Most other cell companies like Verizon and ATT have extra fees for most International coverage.

Hank