Selling Girl Scout Cookies

Posted (edited)

Maybe because I was a Girl Scout many, many years ago, I don't mind the cookie hustle. Having to ask random people walking in and out of a pharmacy or grocery store made me a person who knows that she does not want to sell anything ever. That and having to stand in the middle of the street to collect money for cheerleading helped me from never getting sucked into any MLM.

All things considered, I'd prefer a GS cookie seller next to me than another kind of dealer. Or maybe not, I'd actually spend money on the cookies and would probably be a lot more customers.

Edited by JessC510

2 minutes ago, JessC510 said:

Maybe because I was a Girl Scout many, many years ago, I don't mind the cookie hustle. Having to ask random people walking in and out of a pharmacy or grocery store made me a person who knows that she does not want to sell anything ever. That and having to stand in the middle of the street to collect money for cheerleading helped me from never getting sucked into any MLM.

All things considered, I'd prefer a GS cookie seller next to me than another kind of dealer. Or maybe not, I'd actually spend money on the cookies and would probably be a lot more customers.

Agreed. I can’t believe years ago they would ring your door bell and ask you if you wanted to buy cookies. Seems like doing that today would be a real gamble. Although I have to say in our town schools still collect at intersections for funding for sports and also emergency/ first responders. That’s why I always keep small bills in my car just in case

7 minutes ago, expectthebest said:

Agreed. I can’t believe years ago they would ring your door bell and ask you if you wanted to buy cookies. Seems like doing that today would be a real gamble. Although I have to say in our town schools still collect at intersections for funding for sports and also emergency/ first responders. That’s why I always keep small bills in my car just in case

Can you imagine going door to door today with phone in hand with the latest sex offender address/map list?

14 hours ago, PATRLR said:

So if I just hand the young ladies $6 as a donation, does that all stay with the local troop?

Yes it should stay right with the troop.   A few years back when cookies were $4 we used to make quite a bit of extra money.  Customers would hand you a $5 and say keep the dollar or a $10 for two boxes and keep the change.  One year we kept all those extra cash tips aside and used it the following year to purchase an entire Thanksgiving meal for a family in need and at Christmas we sponsored two children from different families with gifts. One of the girls only asked for a Christmas tree because she had lived in a shelter her whole life and never had one.  A tiny fake tree with ornaments and gifts were waiting for her on Christmas morning.   When cookies prices increased to $5 it was a big loss of money to the troop to do these types of things.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

Can you imagine going door to door today with phone in hand with the latest sex offender address/map list?

Even back in 1989 - 2001, parents were warned to not let their daughters go door to door without an adult.

And even in those "dark" ages, the names and addresses of registered sex offenders were publicized in the community and known.

My neighborhood Girl Scout just sends me her link to order online and I can choose to have them sent directly to me or she will bring them by. Print cards to hand out at roll call. By the way I brought a sleeve of thin mints onboard LOL

• Like 1