A heads up to anyone going on the Jewel...which originally was the Grandeur.

My friend & I are doing the 15 day cruise out of Boston on the Jewel.  This is a ship change from the Grandeur.  I called my TA to make a payment and she told me my balance and it was $100 more than was showing on my confirmation after the ship change.  She looked further at my reservation and saw that Royal Caribbean was charging me a $100 for the change...a change that they made and not me.  She checked my friend's account (we aren't sharing a cabin) and she was also charged the $100.  My TA (who also happens to be my daughter) called RCCL and they removed the charge.  A heads up to anyone on here that is on this sailing...check with your account because I'm assuming they charged everyone the $100 and some may not be aware of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

???  This happened months ago. Why is your TA telling you this now?  Back when we got it changed, it was free. Actually, we got a free change to a trans Atlantic instead before the jewel gets to Boston. 

edit- looks like this happened at the beginning of November ‘23. 

Edited by alfaeric

This happened to us, too. We were booked on a 3 day Allure cruise that was cancelled due to the ship going to a full ship charter. We had the 4 day following the cruise that was cancelled so when I got the email with my alternate options I called and booked the 3 day following our 4 day. At that point everything was fine. 

Several weeks later I saw a nice price drop on my rebooked 3 day Allure so I called and got the price drop. However, at that point there was a $200 change fee applied ($100 each). I had to remind them that it wasn’t us who wanted to change our sailing date but Royal who decided to allow the charter group to take over our sailing. After the rep went back and forth with her supervisor I was able to get the charges removed. They told me it was a glitch.

The good news is that the change fee charges did not reappear when I made additional and final payments. I most definitely checked to be sure!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, alfaeric said:

???  This happened months ago. Why is your TA telling you this now?  Back when we got it changed, it was free. Actually, we got a free change to a trans Atlantic instead before the jewel gets to Boston. 

edit- looks like this happened at the beginning of November ‘23. 

I knew about the change back in November but we didn't realize we got charged a change fee until I was making a payment.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

I knew about the change back in November but we didn't realize we got charged a change fee until I was making a payment.

Our receipt shows the change fee, as well as a change fee credit.  So there was a zero charge change.  

And we were able to cancel the second cruise for no penalty.

Edited by alfaeric

This happens when they simply remove the change fee. It works temporarily but whenever you make a change to the booking it gets added back.

The way to correctly fix it is to leave the change fee on there and apply a waiver for the same amount.  The you see the $100 charge and then the corresponding -$100 waiver.  That way the system will not reapply the fee.