Bus from South Queensferry to Edinburgh

7 minutes ago, Cruisetrekker said:

I know this has been posted many times but I googled it many times and can't find it. Could someone post the bus number and where to find it please ?

Following!  Would love this info as well!

Posted (edited)

It's the x99 Cruiselink (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/)

I hear that the stop in town is going to be moved slightly because of building works - to George Street, just above the "X" in "X99" on the map at the bottom of the page.

Last year the ticket price was £12 for a round-trip.  This ticket was a Network DAYticket for every city bus and the Edinburgh Tram (useful if you're going to The Royal Yacht Britannia).  This year's price hasn't been announced yet, but it should be soon.

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

It's the x99 Cruiselink (https://www.lothianbuses.com/cruiselink-x99/)

I hear that the stop in town is going to be moved slightly because of building works - to George Street, just above the "X" in "99 on the map at the bottom of the page.

Last year the ticket price was £12 for a round-trip.  This ticket also got you on every city bus and the Edinburgh Tram (useful if you're going to The Royal Yacht Britannia).  This year's price hasn't been announced yet, but it should be soon.

Is this the fastest way from South Queensbury into town?  We're a family of four, so tickets for this will add up quickly and other forms of transport may not be much more for us.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, liberty176 said:

Is this the fastest way from South Queensbury into town?  We're a family of four, so tickets for this will add up quickly and other forms of transport may not be much more for us.

If you want the fastest, that would probably be a taxi, but taxis in both directions will probably cost more than the 4 X round trip bus tickets although that I do not know, and you would need to check that  with local taxi companies ahead of time.

By far the slowest but cheapest would be the public bus operated by Lothian Buses, a flat fare I think of £2 pp each way so maybe £16 round trip, but it will take much much longer in each direction as there are frequent bus stops serving the public, unlike the X99.  You would see estimated timings on the LB website for the route. You could check the Lothian Buses website, for, I think, the #43 route,  or whichever it is, and for info on where in S Queensferry the stop would be, also the best stop for you in Edinburgh city centre. the X99 picks up and drops off next to the tender point at Hawes Pier.

It has never been inexpensive to travel as a family.  Some day you will find there are only two of you and you will be thinking "how cheap it is here", but of course it won't be, the difference will be that you will be paying for 2 instead of 4. Until then, unfortunately you need to accept the cost of travelling as a family of four.

UPDATE.

I just now thought to look at the "getting around" section of the cruiseforth website (S. Queensferry.)  they say nearest public bus stop is a 10 minute walk, and they also give taxi contact info.

https://www.cruiseforth.com/content/getting-around-south-queensferry/

Edited by edinburgher

11 hours ago, liberty176 said:

Just a reminder that it is South Queensferry (not Queensbury).

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, liberty176 said:

Four adults, or two adults and two children?

The X99 fare last year was £12 per adult and £6 for children.  Remember, that gets you a Network DAYticket which gives access to the X99, plus every city bus, plus the out of town buses like the 43 mentioned above, and the Edinburgh Tram.  This is particularly useful if you're thinking of visiting The Royal Yacht Britannia, but is also great to go a stop or two when tired, for example between the bottom of The Mound and the Royal Mile or the Museum!

If you're happy with the 10 minute walk to the 43, and the c.15 minute slower journey than the X99, and don't want to use any of the buses in the city, your cheapest option is a cityWEST DAYticket at £5.50 per adult, or a cityWEST DAYticket for a family (up to 2 adults and 3 children) for £13.50.  [edinburger is thinking of the £2 fare for the Lothian City buses.  These don't go to South Queensferry.  Instead, it's their sister company, Lothian Country (https://www.lothianbuses.com/our-services/lothian-country/)]

I think a taxi (which will have a capacity of either 5 or 6, depending on the vehicle model) will cost about £30 each way, perhaps a little more.  It can get you directly to where you want to go without any delay or walking at either end, but you'll be on a meter so subject to extra cost for any delays.  Last year, taxis were a bit of a 'feast or famine' at South Queensferry, so have a Plan B ready if this is your favoured option.

Edited by fruitmachine

Ok, thank you.  Thanks for correcting to South Queensferry, an odd auto-correct!

Ok, sounds like the special x99 bus is the way to go, especially since we actually have an overnight stop, so two days to go back/forth to town.  

We are in fact 2 adults and 2 kids, which as @edinburgherpointed out, is just more expensive all around.  In doing research in various places, I've discovered that there are some cases where even 2 adults + 2 kids on a shuttle or similar is only a few pounds/euros less than a cab, which is why I wanted to check.

So excited to go back (and take my kids).  I spent a summer in college doing historical research in Edinburgh and haven't been back since!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

f you're happy with the 10 minute walk to the 43, and the c.15 minute slower journey than the X99, and don't want to use any of the buses in the city, your cheapest option is a cityWEST DAYticket at £5.50 per adult, or a cityWEST DAYticket for a family (up to 2 adults and 3 children) for £13.50.  [edinburger is thinking of the £2 fare for the Lothian City buses.  These don't go to South Queensferry.  Instead, it's their sister company, Lothian Country (https://www.lothianbuses.com/our-services/lothian-country/)]

Thanks for clarifying fruitmachine.  I bow to your superior knowledge.😀

19 hours ago, liberty176 said:

So  excited to go back (and take my kids).  I spent a summer in college doing historical research in Edinburgh and haven't been back since!

A trip down memory lane then, how lovely for you  as it will add an extran dimension to your visit.😁

Will you be able to visit the actual location where you did your research? Or the area where you lived?

• Like 1

Yes @edinburgher, definitely planning on walking past both buildings (has a new name, but the National Archives building is on Princes St, very convenient to the Royal Mile and nearby sights).  

I made it to quite a number of different towns and sites, but am really excited to go to the Orkneys, Shetlands, etc. on this cruise!

17 hours ago, liberty176 said:

es @edinburgher, definitely planning on walking past both buildings (has a new name, but the National Archives building is on Princes St, very convenient to the Royal Mile and nearby sights).  

Wishing you an enjoyable walk down memory lane reliving your youth.

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:16 AM, liberty176 said:

We took the train from Dalmeny to Edinburgh, station was about 10 minutes walk from the pier, then about 20 minutes by train.

1 hour ago, travellingnana said:

Approximately how long does it take the X99 bus to get to Edinburgh?  Trying to determine what time to get entry tickets to the castle.

About 30 minutes, plus a 10-15 minute walk from the bus stop to the castle.  If you just miss a bus, then you might have to wait up to 20 minutes before the next one leaves South Queensferry, so worth adding that in.

When I checked with the staff at the castle last year, they said that you could get in a maximum of 10 minutes before your half-hour time slot, and normally for at least 30 minutes after, longer if you had a good excuse!

3 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

@fruitmachine Thank you so much for your response. One more question…do we have to queue for a bus ticket or can we just tap a credit card (a U.S. card if that matters) to pay?

You can pay with a contactless card on the bus, though please respect the queueing directions as there is a mix of people wanting just the X99, and those buying HoHo tickets together with X99 tickets.

• Thanks 1

Some interesting information here!

From what I can see with the bus routes, there is no bus which goes from the port of Queensferry directly to Edinburgh castle. 

We have mobility issues and find it difficult to walk uphill, although walking on flat surfaces is OK.

Is there any form of transport which goes from the port to the castle, or do we have to catch a taxi?

10 minutes ago, kazganymede said:

Is there any form of transport which goes from the port to the castle, or do we have to catch a taxi?

Sorry, no buses or trams go to the castle so only a taxi would take you close to but not onto the castle esplanade. You could take the bus for its full run  and take a taxi from the x99 terminus in the city centre.

• Like 1