Hilton hotels in Barcelona

I currently have reservations for the Hampton Inn. This is for only one night before a cruise. We actually have a day and a half to see some sites, but proximity to the airport and cruise terminal is just as important.

We fly in early morning and will want to immediately drop luggage off at hotel.  I know that the Hampton's location isn't great for sightseeing, but apparently public transportation is nearby. It's less than 10 km to the airport.

Is there another Hilton property that would be better situated for us? Two of them (very expensive) are closer to the Gothic Center, but further from the cruise terminal, I think?  I'd really prefer a Hilton property because I have points.

7 minutes ago, mlmdaisy said:

I currently have reservations for the Hampton Inn. This is for only one night before a cruise. We actually have a day and a half to see some sites, but proximity to the airport and cruise terminal is just as important.

We fly in early morning and will want to immediately drop luggage off at hotel.  I know that the Hampton's location isn't great for sightseeing, but apparently public transportation is nearby. It's less than 10 km to the airport.

Is there another Hilton property that would be better situated for us? Two of them (very expensive) are closer to the Gothic Center, but further from the cruise terminal, I think?  I'd really prefer a Hilton property because I have points.

How about the Alexandra Barcelona Hotel?

2 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

I saw it, but it's very expensive.  Is it closer to the airport or cruise terminal?

It's much closer to the cruise terminal than anything near the airport; basically in the city centre.  I guess you'll need to decide on the balance of convenience (time and access) and price.

It's more important for us to be closer to the airport than anywhere else.  We will be anxious to drop our luggage off.  I'm unclear, which of these Hilton properties is closer to the airport?

1 hour ago, mlmdaisy said:

It's more important for us to be closer to the airport than anywhere else.  We will be anxious to drop our luggage off.  I'm unclear, which of these Hilton properties is closer to the airport?

The one you have booked.

6 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

If your anxiety is only for dropping of your luggage to start sightseeing, you can spend an extra 15 minutes in the taxi and drop off your luggage at a centrally located hotel. From the airport hotel you would still have to take a taxi and ride the extra 15 minutes to get to the sights.  And then taxi back to the airport hotel instead of just walking back to the in-town hotel.  

Staying in town means that you will be able to walk in and out of the hotel as you please. This would be most useful the day you arrive.  Barcelona (and all of Spain) stay up late.  Dinnertime is from 9 pm on.  Tapas time starts much earlier.  The town is lively and there is much going on in the evenings.  If you are staying in town, you can walk into your hotel for a little rest and then go out for tapas.  If you stay near the airport, you would probably go back early and crash.  

Same next day. Taxi back and forth to go sightseeing.  Then taxi to the pier.  You would be missing out on sightseeing time and wasting money for transportation by staying out of town.

Think about it. One taxi to the hotel and one taxi to the pier if you stay in town.

I will think about it.  I'm embarrassed to say that when we visit countries where everyone stays up late we are usually unable to join in.  I do see the merit of being in the middle of things, but especially after our international flights, it's unlikely that we can stay up late.

We are spending a few days in Granada after the cruise, and by then our internal clocks will have shifted.  I'll still look into the finances of one of the Hiltons with a better location.  Thank you.

7 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

I'll still look into the finances of one of the Hiltons with a better location.

Why do you have to stay in a Hilton?  If you are not using points, you can stay at lots of better located  hotels for a more reasonable price.  US chains generally do not have the best locations in most European cities, unless you look at their flagship prestige properties.  

It's just for one night and we have a limited budget. (Nothing is more reasonable than zero USD.) We are staying at a "genuine" hotel for two nights in Granada.  Our time there is more of a priority for this trip.  If everyone agrees that the Alexandra is a good option, I can probably make that work.  I do appreciate the input.

It's just for one night and we have a limited budget. (Nothing is more reasonable than zero USD.) We are staying at a "genuine" hotel for two nights in Granada.  Our time there is more of a priority for this trip.  If everyone agrees that the Alexandra is a good option, I can probably make that work.  I do appreciate the input.

1 hour ago, mlmdaisy said:

I didn't even know about Alexandra in Granada.  I have two nights reserved at Palacio de Santa Ines.

I wasn't familiar with the name. I will look it up. 

19 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

I didn't even know about Alexandra in Granada.  I have two nights reserved at Palacio de Santa Ines.

I checked out the Alexandra.  It is indeed a Hilton and within steps of the Passeig de Gracia where two of Gaudi's masterpieces are: Casa Batllo and Casa Mila (La Pedrera).  It is located on the Carrer de Mallorca, a cross street between Passeig de Gracia and Rambla de Catalunya. There are lots of good and reasonably priced restaurants in the area, especially along the Rambla de Catalunya.  

It looks very nice and the location is excellent. You will get a lot more sightseeing done in that area just by walking out the door. This would be important in the morning before you go to the port because you can go out for more sightseeing without worrying about check out or going back and forth to the Hampton Inn.  The Hampton is really out of the way.

The Alexandra would be great if you can get it with points.  If you are using points+cash, you could look at one of the many non-Hilton hotels in that same area.  There are many reasonably priced 2 and 3-star hotels around it. You might get it for less cash and save the points.   

Good luck. Here is the map of that area with all the hotels marked up: 

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Hotels/@41.3900169,2.1664427,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m4!2m3!5m2!5m1!1s2024-05-13?hl=en&entry=ttu

Thank you.  This is looking good.  This is a separate topic, but connecting this area from the airport and to the port, are we best off with taxis or is Uber a good option?

That is a useful thread and I thank you.  I have scrolled quite a bit, though and see no reference to using a credit card.  Can someone please confirm that I can pay for a taxi with a cc?  I'd like to figure out how many euros to get.

11 hours ago, mlmdaisy said:

That is a useful thread and I thank you.  I have scrolled quite a bit, though and see no reference to using a credit card.  Can someone please confirm that I can pay for a taxi with a cc?  I'd like to figure out how many euros to get.

Yes, all taxis have a cc terminal. Ask before you get in because some might tell you it is out of order when you are ready to pay. This is rare.