Drop off point in Kyoto

Salbags58

We are off in 4 weeks on our cruise around Japan and our first stop is Osaka where we are getting the transfer to Kyoto.  However there are no details as to time and drop off point.  We have booked our own tour guide so need to tell them what time and where.  Is there anyway we can find this out before we board the ship.

Thanks 

Traffic can be really heavy between Osaka and Kyoto. It would be at least an hour's drive to Central kyoto and if it is the same as our next cruise the Kyoto on your own excursion leaves at 8.45am.

So i doubt you should book a private tour before 10am and probably should arrive back at the pick up point by 3.30pm as the bus would have to leave by 3.45 pm to be back by 4.45pm which is 8 hours after it leaves.Most shuttles drop off and pick up at Kyoto station Such a s those from Osaka airports.

2 minutes ago, toseaornottosea said:

How about the high speed train from Osaka to Kyoto - about 15 minutes - and return?

I was thinking about that but you have to get from cruise terminal to a station and then I think you need to change onto a different high speed train to get to Kyoto.  But may relook at that thanks

Using Japan transit planner it takes 23 minutes from Shin Osaka station (the shinkansen stop in Osaka ) to the exit of Kyoto station. But takes 27 minutes from the closest local station to Shin Osaka. And the local station is 5-10 minutes walk from the ship so not much difference.

Quicker to take a taxi from the ship to Shin Osaka station but estimated it takes 22 minutes and costs 12000 - 16000 yen ($US80 - $US105 ). Ride services are all local taxis so very little saving in cost and basically no quicker.

Why don't you price your private tour from Osaka Port? The extra cost from there to Kyoto and back is probably less than using the taxi to Shin Osaka station.

Another option is the Silversea "included shuttle" from the port to central Kyoto.  They say it's only 1 hour but I'll bet it's more like 75 minutes.  Just don't miss the return shuttle unless the ship is overnight in Incheon.

7 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

Another option is the Silversea "included shuttle" from the port to central Kyoto.  They say it's only 1 hour but I'll bet it's more like 75 minutes.  Just don't miss the return shuttle unless the ship is overnight in Incheon.

That’s what @drron29just described in post #3.

10 hours ago, toseaornottosea said:

That's what we are taking.

Have phoned them and they don't have information as to drop off point so will just have to wait until we board.  

Might try the train back to ship for the experience

According to the tour description of the included shuttle "the coach will drop you off at City Hall" and goes on to say "after 6 hours of free time, reboard the coach at the drop-off point (City Hall) and return to the ship."