100% non-refundable cruise fare?

Hello,

I'd like to know how is it possible to know if a fare is 100% non-refundable before booking?

I would like to book in advance a QM2 crossing for the end of 2024 but I want to be sure I will be allowed a refund in case I need to cancel.
Is it clearly written online if a fare is 100% non-refundable before booking? I would not like to book a fare and find out later that is not refundable.

Thank you 

EuropeanAmericanTraveler

Depending on what promotions Cunard has going on for a particular cruise, there may be 2 or even 3 different prices for the same category cabin. Often the lowest price is non-refundable. I've always seen it clearly stated when a promotion is non-refundable but my modus operandi is to ask Cunard for a quote and a 3-day courtesy hold. The quote will clearly state the refund policy. You can do this directly with Cunard or through a TA. That way you have the policy in writing from Cunard, no confusion, no misunderstanding.

Jack

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies. I will be careful before booking.  For exemple, for one cruise, I have 3 options: "Our Lowest Fare" then "Treat yourself, on us" and the most expensive "Cunard Fare". Only the last one has "Standard terms and conditions" that apply, wich allows refunds. Nothing is mentionned for the other 2.

26 minutes ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Thank you for your replies. I will be careful before booking.  For exemple, for one cruise, I have 3 options: "Our Lowest Fare" then "Treat yourself, on us" and the most expensive "Cunard Fare". Only the last one has "Standard terms and conditions" that apply, wich allows refunds. Nothing is mentionned for the other 2.

"Our Lowest Fare" has a non-refundable deposit. It's stated as such when you view the fares near the start of the booking process.

Our Lowest Fare.

$1,678Per stateroom/suite

• Guaranteed stateroom.*
  • Reduced non-refundable deposit.^
  • Excludes our current limited time offer and Cunard Fare benefits.

"Treat yourself, on us" doesn't specifically say one way or the other which normally means the deposit is refundable until the final payment date (120 days before departure for US bookings on cruises of 30 nights or less). But do confirm with Cunard just to make sure if you'd like to book that fare.

59 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

"Our Lowest Fare" has a non-refundable deposit. It's stated as such when you view the fares near the start of the booking process.

Our Lowest Fare.

$1,678Per stateroom/suite

• Guaranteed stateroom.*
  • Reduced non-refundable deposit.^
  • Excludes our current limited time offer and Cunard Fare benefits.

"Treat yourself, on us" doesn't specifically say one way or the other which normally means the deposit is refundable until the final payment date (120 days before departure for US bookings on cruises of 30 nights or less). But do confirm with Cunard just to make sure if you'd like to book that fare.

Thank you for the infirmation. But I was referring in my question to the total price of the cruise being refundable or not, not the deposit.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Thank you for the infirmation. But I was referring in my question to the total price of the cruise being refundable or not, not the deposit.

You would normally only pay a deposit until the final payment date (120 days before departure for US bookings on cruises of 30 nights or less). Once that final payment date is reached, the standard cancellation penalties kick in as outlined in the Cunard Passage Contract regardless of which fare you have booked.

Now if you are asking what happens if you choose to pay the entire cruise fare at the time of booking (or at some point well before the final payment date) and then cancel before the final payment date, then I'm not positive how that works. I believe you would still only have the deposit amount at risk if you booked a fare with a non-refundable deposit and would get your entire fare back otherwise, but don't take my word on that.

Edited by bluemarble

12 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

You would normally only pay a deposit until the final payment date (120 days before departure for US bookings on cruises of 30 nights or less). Once that final payment date is reached, the standard cancellation penalties kick in as outlined in the Cunard Passage Contract regardless of which fare you have booked.

Now if you are asking what happens if you choose to pay the entire cruise fare at the time of booking (or at some point well before the final payment date) and then cancel before the final payment date, then I'm not positive how that works. I believe you would still only have the deposit amount at risk if you booked a fare with a non-refundable deposit and would get your entire fare back otherwise, but don't take my word on that.

My understanding is that certain fares are 100% non refundable, no matter the time when you cancel after payment. This is what is written under Cunard's cancellation policy:

If You have purchased a specially priced promotion that is 100% non-refundable from the point of payment, You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit whatsoever of Your Cruise or Cruisetour fare if You cancel Your booking.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

My understanding is that certain fares are 100% non refundable, no matter the time when you cancel after payment. This is what is written under Cunard's cancellation policy:

If You have purchased a specially priced promotion that is 100% non-refundable from the point of payment, You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit whatsoever of Your Cruise or Cruisetour fare if You cancel Your booking.

That's correct. I booked one such promotion a few years ago offered well after the final payment date which the cruise booking site I use indicated was a "fully non-refundable fare". I'm not aware any of the fares typically offered on the Cunard US website prior to final payment date are like that. And their "Sailing Soon Savings" fares currently offered on sailings departing in the next few months indicate the standard terms and conditions apply.

That said, you are quite correct to make certain you understand the cancellation terms that apply to whichever fare you are considering. You would hope the Cunard website would make it clear when a fare is non-refundable. But when the Cunard website doesn't specifically state that, it is best to confirm those details with Cunard (or your travel agent if you use one).

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bluemarble said:

You would hope the Cunard website would make it clear when a fare is non-refundable. But when the Cunard website doesn't specifically state that, it is best to confirm those details with Cunard (or your travel agent if you use one).

Yes, I regret it is not clearly stated on the Cunard website when a fare is non-refundable or not. As I wrote earlier in this thread, for a cruise of interest, I was proposed 3 fare options and for only one of them it was mentioned "Standard terms and conditions apply". I assume only this fare is refundable according to the terms of Cunard cancellation policy and not the other 2 options.

3 hours ago, EuropeanAmericanTraveler said:

Yes, I regret it is not clearly stated on the Cunard website when a fare is non-refundable or not. As I wrote earlier in this thread, for a cruise of interest, I was proposed 3 fare options and for only one of them it was mentioned "Standard terms and conditions apply". I assume only this fare is refundable according to the terms of Cunard cancellation policy and not the other 2 options.

My assumption is different. From past experience with similar offers in the US, all three of the proposed fares "Our Lowest Fare", "Treat Yourself, on us" and "Cunard Fare" ought to have the standard cancellation schedule once the final payment date has been reached. "Our Lowest Fare" differs in that the deposit is non-refundable. But I'm afraid the only way you will know for certain is to call Cunard or speak with a travel agent. It is unfortunate the terms and conditions for each of the fares don't spell that out clearly.

32 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

My assumption is different. From past experience with similar offers in the US, all three of the proposed fares "Our Lowest Fare", "Treat Yourself, on us" and "Cunard Fare" ought to have the standard cancellation schedule once the final payment date has been reached. "Our Lowest Fare" differs in that the deposit is non-refundable. But I'm afraid the only way you will know for certain is to call Cunard or speak with a travel agent. It is unfortunate the terms and conditions for each of the fares don't spell that out clearly.

You might be right if this from your own experience but this not clear at all on their website... I wish things would be written more clearly. I feel like the only way to know for sure, besides contacting someone at Cunard, is to cross fingers and book a fare and only after, have access to the details on the Booking confirmation page they send...