Uber from sju to port

cheryl8503

Does anyone know if Uber is only allowed to pick up outside terminal A at the airport. We're flying Delta and we land in terminal B and my advance booking for Uber won't let me schedule a pickup outside terminal B. Is it that far of a walk? Does terminal B have it's own baggage claim and then we would have to make it to terminal A?

I was in SJU last month.  The signage is nonexistent about Uber in the airport.  I don't remember which terminal I was in, but Uber is only allowed to pick up in one place.  My flight was on American.  After collecting my luggage, I exited and turned right for the long walk, maybe 10 minutes, to the pickup spot for Uber in the other terminal.  The drivers don't speak English, so make sure they know where the Virgin port is.  Even though I clearly communicated through Google Translate where to go, he went to the wrong port, then tried to charge me for the extra driving.  I disputed it with Uber and got that extra charge reversed.

Flew in on Southwest and walked at least 15 minutes to get to the one place they pick up. Signage was abysmal and took forever for the driver to arrive despite the "5 minutes" advertised in the app. If I had to do it again I would have taken a cab. 

• Like 1

Do the taxis take AmEx? We will be going to the Carib Hilton. Anyone know the approximate fare? Any chance the driver might speak English?

56 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Do the taxis take AmEx? We will be going to the Carib Hilton. Anyone know the approximate fare? Any chance the driver might speak English?

I don't recall any taxis in San Juan taking credit cards, but that could have changed.

School students in Puerto Rico have been required to take courses in English as second language since the late 1940's so almost everyone can speak sufficient English to communicate with English speaking tourists. Many younger Puerto Ricans have spent a substantial time living in the 50 states and can speak English just as well as you or I.

Assuming the taxi fares haven't been changed recently, you can find them here:

https://aeropuertosju.com//wp-content/uploads/2022/04/Taxis-Tarifario.pdf

Fare from the airport to the Caribe Hilton should be $21 plus luggage charges of $1 per bag and the$3 airport fee. Tip is additional. 

The taxi dispatcher will give you the sheet of paper with your cost indicated.

Thank you. I assume the luggage fee is per bag including carry on bags. It looks like the Carib Hilton must be in the Old San Juan zone. We’re thinking of going to dinner at Sofia’s that evening. How can we tell what the fare would be from the Hilton to Sofia’s?

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Thank you. I assume the luggage fee is per bag including carry on bags. It looks like the Carib Hilton must be in the Old San Juan zone. We’re thinking of going to dinner at Sofia’s that evening. How can we tell what the fare would be from the Hilton to Sofia’s?

The Caribe Hilton is located in Puerta deTierra just outside of Old San Juan. Sofia's is in the heart of Old San Juan about 2 miles from your hotel. I believe the fare will be based on the meter rather than a flat rate.

We haven't flown in to SJU since the pandemic, but prior to that, taxis at the airport were plentiful and you paid a flat fee based on what zone you were traveling to.  There were posted signs directing you to the taxi stands.  The staff at the taxi stand told us what our fare was upfront, before we even got into the taxi.  (We always paid cash, so I don't know if they accept credit cards or not.)