Costco travel insurance- anyone used?

Costco has travel insurance for members- even if you haven't purchased your cruise through them.

Has anyone used them? Any experiences filing a claim?

Thanks!

1 minute ago, catspaw1 said:

BW their quotes were significantly less than most other providers.

We have not used them, so can't speak to their policies or service.

However, please do NOT make insurance decisions based upon cost alone.  Make SURE that you understand the Terms & Conditions of any policy you are considering, and what you are getting or giving up by selecting one of them.

It's easy to get a "less expensive" policy. 

But will it cover what you expected should you need it?

GC

• Like 2

Yes I already saw what they covered & they even included cancel for any reasons- I think it was 50% off.

If I have a problem with the carrier, you can bet I will go back to Costco. I have been a Costco member for over 30 years & I trust (& hope) they will do the right thing if there's a problem. I ahve had them intervene with vendors before.

i don't need medical as much. Yes I have medicare- it is always primary, but my secondary is Kaiser Permanente & they cover international medical emergencies. I want it for medical evac & trip cancellation.

What GeezerCouple said.

Costco in Canada use Manulife for travel insurance, and we have gone online with Costco and Manulife directly and not found any significant different in the cost.

It is all about the policy inclusions and exclusions.

What pre-existing conditions do you have including recommended tests or procedures for the future.  What is the stable period for any condition.  There is so much to consider outside of price for insurance and every company has different language and inclusions and exclusions.

As much as I appreciate the comment that you should only take a recommendation from someone that has filed a claim - or attempted to - this is only a valid statement if your cancel or medical reason is the exact same.  Everyone's need for insurance can be vastly different.

Coverage for Costco Travel Insurance is good and reasonably priced (though while I've paid for it on trips, I've not had to make a claim on it), but only people who book travel through CostcoTravel are eligible to purchase it. You need to attach your Costco Travel Booking Number to the policy.

-S

On 3/15/2024 at 11:11 AM, StooBush said:

Coverage for Costco Travel Insurance is good and reasonably priced (though while I've paid for it on trips, I've not had to make a claim on it), but only people who book travel through CostcoTravel are eligible to purchase it. You need to attach your Costco Travel Booking Number to the policy.

-S

Not true in Canada.  I can purchase travel insurance through Costco for any travel I do.  It does not have to be travel booked through Costco Travel.

stoo bush you are incorrect- you do NOT need to book your cruise with Costco to get the insurance. How do I know? I just booked two cruises through a TA & got the Costco travel insurance!

Costco had better medical evac & medical premiums coverage. If you book through Costco travel cost is 5% of trip; if not 6.5%. Our TA price was less than Costco as we got better OBC & choice of cabins. Also they have a 24/7 travel number while it's hard to get through to Costco travel. Hopefully we won't need it but we always take travel insurance for cruises & international travel.

• 1 month later...
On 3/16/2024 at 9:16 PM, catspaw1 said:

stoo bush you are incorrect- you do NOT need to book your cruise with Costco to get the insurance. How do I know? I just booked two cruises through a TA & got the Costco travel insurance!

Costco had better medical evac & medical premiums coverage. If you book through Costco travel cost is 5% of trip; if not 6.5%. Our TA price was less than Costco as we got better OBC & choice of cabins. Also they have a 24/7 travel number while it's hard to get through to Costco travel. Hopefully we won't need it but we always take travel insurance for cruises & international travel.

Curious how you were able to obtain this coverage without booking through Costco? The Application form requires a Costco travel booking number. 

I called them directly. I got insurance for 2 cruises from them. But you can't book directly online unless part of the travel was booked through Costco. No parts of our trip was booked through Costco, so I was able to get it only by calling them. Be prepared to have your Costco number available.  The insurance is through Zurich. There's a phone number on costco travel insurance to call them. Don't call on a Monday as I was on hold for close to an hour. They are closed weekends. Hope this helps. They were cheaper with better coverage than most of the other insurance quotes I got. Plus you have the costco fall back if anything goes wrong 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

I called them directly. I got insurance for 2 cruises from them. But you can't book directly online unless part of the travel was booked through Costco. No parts of our trip was booked through Costco, so I was able to get it only by calling them. Be prepared to have your Costco number available.  The insurance is through Zurich. There's a phone number on costco travel insurance to call them. Don't call on a Monday as I was on hold for close to an hour. They are closed weekends. Hope this helps. They were cheaper with better coverage than most of the other insurance quotes I got. Plus you have the costco fall back if anything goes wrong 

Thanks. I would be worried that since their website states that the travel insurance is Available exclusively for trips booked through Costco Travel that could potentially be used as a reason to deny a claim. 

I doubt that would be true as I have a policy. They charge 1.5% more for the policy if you don't have the travel booked with costco. So, since I paid more for nonCostco travel, I think your fears are unfounded. I think when word starts getting out about the costco insurance for non costco booked travel, a lot more people will start using it. I have confidence in Costco having been a member since the early 1990 that they will do the right thing- at least I hope!