Air credit and Deviation fees

gojocruise

Hello 

A quick question to all you regular Silversea cruisers 

I have booked my first ever Silversea cruise departing Barbados to Lisbon. We have booked D2D but I did ask if it is possible to deviate the flight to fly a few days earlier. Cruise agent said this is possible. Are there fees to deviate a flight?  Are they a fixed cost? 

I also see that people mention taking air credit and booking their own flights, again is this a fixed credit if you want to book your own flights?

I appreciate your feedback 🙂 thank you 

Jo 

When we asked to fly 2 days early, SS asked almost $1,000 USD extra per person for business class. We took air credit and booked our own flights. The amount is fixed, should be specified in your reservation or on SS website. 

• Thanks 1

Yes you can ask for a deviation to fly a few days earlier. Yes there will be a deviation fee. It used to be $150pp but it varies depending on the deals that Silversea has with the airlines.

You can also ask for D2D without flights. You get back a credit that I think varies by cruise. I checked back and got a credit for $1100pp on my most recent cruise and $1500pp on the cruise before. Plus, if you paid for business class you also get that back.

Keep in mind that when you don't take their flights, you lose the transfer from airport to ship or hotel (if a pre-cruise hotel is included). If you book your pre-cruise hotel through Silversea for the extra days, then the transfer is included and you usually are not charged a deviation fee for the flights.

• Thanks 1

Deviation fees are usually not the same for UK customers.

I have a slight warning about D2D. I believe that the included car to LHR is only free if the journey is within 58 miles of the airport. When my parents took their last SS cruise they were asked for an extra £200 when they arrived at Heathrow. This was more than their local driver usually charges them! Being in Royal Wootton Bassett, you are beyond that limit (I was previously a Clyffe Pypard resident!).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruisevirgin24 said:

Deviation fees are usually not the same for UK customers.

I have a slight warning about D2D. I believe that the included car to LHR is only free if the journey is within 58 miles of the airport. When my parents took their last SS cruise they were asked for an extra £200 when they arrived at Heathrow. This was more than their local driver usually charges them! Being in Royal Wootton Bassett, you are beyond that limit (I was previously a Clyffe Pypard resident!).

Thank you all and thanks for the heads up on the Blacklane transfer, I looked on their website and it is only 50 miles covered. I would certainly not want to pay an extra £200 for the 20 miles so think I'll properly ask for the non-use credit of $50 pp each way and arrange my own.  I have asked my travel agent what the deviation costs are and how much air credit is given if I wish to arrange my own flights. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Your travel agent should come back to you with the price for the air deviation fee. If you pick a different day, you will pay that fee PLUS any difference in airfare…if there is a difference.

Edited by FLRI
  • Thanks 1

We paid $50pp for a UK deviation. We requested specific flights ... KLM .... NCL AMS FCO on the day before the cruise. No problem. TA sorted it. Obviously lost all transfers etc. Wouldn't touch Blackstone. Too many comments about last minute cancellations and I suspect the 'base car' has a very restricted luggage allowance which they enforce and they then invite you to upgrade to a larger vehicle.

• Thanks 1

I always do the math to see what works out better. For our Med cruise last year (family of 4) we paid the deviation fee and an additional fee because we wanted certain flights and it was still $7,000 or so less than booking ourselves.  We paid Blacklane for an 5 extra miles and again it was still less than the credit offered and booking on our own. 

For our upcoming Iceland cruise we choose  P2P and did our own arrangements as SS D2D would have been significantly more. 

On 3/12/2024 at 8:04 AM, gojocruise said:

Hello 

A quick question to all you regular Silversea cruisers 

I have booked my first ever Silversea cruise departing Barbados to Lisbon. We have booked D2D but I did ask if it is possible to deviate the flight to fly a few days earlier. Cruise agent said this is possible. Are there fees to deviate a flight?  Are they a fixed cost?

In November 23, we flew into Lisbon 4 days pre-cruise (one day earlier than normally managed by SS), and only had to pay the $150 deviation fee.  Evidently they found seats (and the itinerary was absolutely perfect) that they could provide at their contract price.  It's the luck of the draw, but it worked well for us.

As for Blacklane, great service there as well, but the caveat about a last minute cancellation should be heeded.  No idea how often this really happens - you can't tell from message boards - but it wouldn't be the first time.