How long til boarding?

Hobar

Posted (edited)

We have priority boarding so if we arrive at check-in time at 11:30 AM, how long til we board?  (One in our party will have wheelchair assistance, if that makes a diff, and it’s San Diego port which will also have a Disney boat boarding.)

Edited by Hobar
Clarification, more info

Wheelchair assistance does make a big difference in boarding. In every port where I have used wheelchair assistance (many, many all over the world---but not in San Diego), there is no such thing as 'priority'. It's first come, first served to being boarded. 
Boarding for wheelchair passengers can't begin before 11:30, as the pushers are at lunch until then, even if able-bodied are allowed before that. 

In some ports I have been told I could have one person come with me. In others, I have been able to bring everyone in my group along when I boarded. 
For the remainder of the party, it will depend on how many checked in before you did, and when actual boarding starts (or started). 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hobar said:

We have priority boarding so if we arrive at check-in time at 11:30 AM, how long til we board?  (One in our party will have wheelchair assistance, if that makes a diff, and it’s San Diego port which will also have a Disney boat boarding.)

As I've talked about before, I also boarded in San Diego and needed wheelchair assistance and I paid no attention to my listed boarding time.  For me the key was going up to the podium with the big red umbrella and telling them I needed assistance.  I got pretty much whisked right through and was one of the first people on board.  This was this past January.

Have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The Disney ship has nothing to do with it.  The pushers will be from the HAL ship. It will depend on the number of requests and the number of available staff.

Last January it was port employee 'pushers' who whisked me through HAL check-in, and then they deposited me in a holding area until the ship was cleared for boarding, at which time HAL pushers got us on board.

• Thanks 1

No matter what time you check in, nobody boards until the ship is ready which is dependent on clearing and turn around of prior cruise. With priority you will be placed in the priority waiting area (if they have one) and probably board by 12:00. This is all based on the port having staff and caring whether you have priority boarding. Some priority folks have been snubbed by SD port staff. Did you already contact HAL for wheelchair assistance? 

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

As I've talked about before, I also boarded in San Diego and needed wheelchair assistance and I paid no attention to my listed boarding time.  For me the key was going up to the podium with the big red umbrella and telling them I needed assistance.  I got pretty much whisked right through and was one of the first people on board.  This was this past January.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks, @toofarfromthe sea.  I do remember you saying that, but wonder if that it universal or you just got lucky.  Looking forward to our cruise.  We have priority boarding, and will get to port by 11:30 so hopefully will board quickly as I don’t want my mom to have to wait.

44 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Did you already contact HAL for wheelchair assistance? 

Yes and received confirmation and instructions.