Drink package & other questions-Port of Galveston

We will be on Regal Princess sailing out of Galvestion TX

I did go through posts in search of the correct answers, but would like more claification from people who have sailed out of this port.

If you have the drink package, you can not use it until the next day?

Do they credit that day when you get on the ship, because the drink package I purchased I see is priced for 7 days, not 6

If you are in a Suite or Elite, do you still get your bar set up on embarkment day?

Can you purchase drinks or a bottle of wine the first day on the ship? 

Thank you for your help.

Your drink package will "kick in" as soon as you get to International Waters, usually about 2.5 to 3 hours after setting sail.  At the very beginning of the cruise you'll have a limited selection of beer, wine and liquor to select from.  Also be aware that not all the bars will be open until you reach International Waters. 

You will be given a $25 credit to your onboard account to cover the cost of the drinks you've purchased.

Your Suite and/or Elite mini bar set up will be ready for you in your cabin on embarkation day.

I hope this helps.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, C & C Love to Cruise said:

I did go through posts in search of the correct answers, but would like more claification from people who have sailed out of this port.

Do they credit that day when you get on the ship, because the drink package I purchased I see is priced for 7 days, not 6

If you are in a Suite or Elite, do you still get your bar set up on embarkment day?

Thank you for your help.

Hi - I sailed on the Regal last month.  The package doesn't kick into effect until you reach international waters.  We left the dock around 3:15 and when I went to a bar at 5pm it was fine.  I did purchase a drink before the ship left port - they have a limited menu with local, approved spirits.  They charged my cabin for the drinks, but both of us received a "port cancellation" reimbursement of about $25 each in shipboard credit.  So we came out ahead!  And, yes, my suite did have the bar set up when I got to the room (had the steward switch out a few things).  Happy sailing...

1 minute ago, kstrittm said:

Hi - I sailed on the Regal last month.  The package doesn't kick into effect until you reach international waters.  We left the dock around 3:15 and when I went to a bar at 5pm it was fine.  I did purchase a drink before the ship left port - they have a limited menu with local, approved spirits.  They charged my cabin for the drinks, but both of us received a "port cancellation" reimbursement of about $25 each in shipboard credit.  So we came out ahead!  And, yes, my suite did have the bar set up when I got to the room (had the steward switch out a few things).  Happy sailing...

I just looked at my folio.  The refund was called a Government Port Tax and was for $22.70 each.  Odd, but I didn't complain.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kstrittm said:

I just looked at my folio.  The refund was called a Government Port Tax and was for $22.70 each.  Odd, but I didn't complain.

We sailed in January and got $25. We got some government port tax refunded too but for us it was because we missed Costa Maya and Roatan was changed to Belize.  

Screenshot 2024-03-18 8.04.06 PM.png

Edited by Paula_MacFan

17 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We sailed in January and got $25. We got some government port tax refunded too but for us it was because we missed Costa Maya and Roatan was changed to Belize.  

Screenshot 2024-03-18 8.04.06 PM.png

I did find that odd - none of our ports were canceled.  I just figured it was their way of giving the refund.  Don't know for sure...

9 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

I did find that odd - none of our ports were canceled.  I just figured it was their way of giving the refund.  Don't know for sure...

Some of the port charges when you booked had gone done by the time you sailed.  So they refund the difference which happens quite regularly.  

21 hours ago, C & C Love to Cruise said:

Thank you for your help.

Texas state liquor laws requires all alcohol served in Texas has to come from a Texas licensed distributor.  It further bars all discounts and "offers" such as 2 for 1 or doubles for the price of one which makes the package illegal in Texas which includes offshore waters up to 12 miles.  It is a PIA.

Further if you purchase any alcohol or cigarettes while on the cruise from any source, you must pay Texas excise tax when you debark in Galveston with the alcohol regardless of your final destination.  The state sits just outside the exit from the terminal to get their pound of flesh. In days passed one could simply hide it and just walk by.  We deboarded the Regal on Sunday and they had a notice in the pater to scan in a code that I presume collects the fee.  We gave up taking alcohol home years ago as it is just as inexpensive locally.