Passage to India 1/16/2025 CANCELLED

soundcruiser

I’m also booked on the October 2024 itinerary from Athens to Mumbai.  Despite asking the question to Viking a few times, have not been given any direct answer as to whether we are going on the advertised itinerary/a different version of that/not going at all😮!  The problem is, if Viking do not communicate their intention with this cruise pretty soon, other 2024 options will be very limited indeed🙁!  More chance then that customers will look elsewhere to spend their money, so that’s a risky strategy for them!   I find it curious that, having cancelled this itinerary for 2025, why, given the circumstances, would they appear to be going with it this year???🤔

As other contributors have said, it would just be good to know so that alternative options can be considered…

• Like 2

Well said, FWT.  According to the UK website, the Marco Polo voyage is sold out for October 2024 and for both dates in 2025.  That seems less than credible.  It’s not easy to find that cruise now.  You have to put it into search as it isn’t listed in October departures which is strange.  This will be, if it happens, our 5th Viking cruise so we’ve been loyal customers for quite a few years now.  That loyalty is diminishing quickly the longer this goes on, however.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I asked and was told they’re working on it.  It’s not exactly easy to reroute a ship to a seldom-cruised part of the world when every other cruise line repositioning ships to Australia and Asia is doing the same thing. It’s a much longer route, ports that can take cruise ships are fewer and further apart and may only be able to handle one or maybe two ships a day.  I’m booked on in Mumbai October 24 and I’m not stressing about it, as I will be just as happy going either way.  It’s not likely to be cancelled since the ship has to go to Australia anyway.  Provisionally looking at safaris in South Africa and snorkeling on tropical islands in the Indian Ocean.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Thanks 1

We understand the logistics, Wolfie, but it’s simply not possible for the ship to sail to Mumbai from Athens on time for our cruise.  The Viking world cruises currently being rerouted went to Cochin instead of up to Mumbai and a look at their timetable makes it clear that logistically it’s not possible for the Venus to sail down the coast of Africa and up to Mumbai in time.  Good to hear they’re ’working on it’ though.

On 4/6/2024 at 5:20 PM, Seumas20 said:

We understand the logistics, Wolfie, but it’s simply not possible for the ship to sail to Mumbai from Athens on time for our cruise.  The Viking world cruises currently being rerouted went to Cochin instead of up to Mumbai and a look at their timetable makes it clear that logistically it’s not possible for the Venus to sail down the coast of Africa and up to Mumbai in time.  Good to hear they’re ’working on it’ though.

I very much doubt the cruise will go to Mumbai.  I assume it will follow the current route all the other cruise lines are taking around Africa to Madagascar or Mauritius and then to Australia either strait across the Indian Ocean or via Malaysia/Indonesia.  Both Sky and Neptune are currently in South Africa on this route.

Posted (edited)

Exactly!  Which means those of us on the Mumbai leg will have our cruise cancelled and should be told, unless they’re thinking of rerouting us to pick up the ship at Cochin, where the world cruises docked.  We have the 5 day pre tour booked so that adds another complication.  Also, where are those due to leave the ship in Mumbai disembarking?  It would still be a tall order logistically, even if your idea works.  At least a third of the passengers on the world cruises have left their ships because they don’t want to sail down the coast of Africa.  It’s not what people signed up for, even if there are those who would find it exciting!

Edited by Seumas20

19 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I very much doubt the cruise will go to Mumbai.  I assume it will follow the current route all the other cruise lines are taking around Africa to Madagascar or Mauritius and then to Australia either strait across the Indian Ocean or via Malaysia/Indonesia.  Both Sky and Neptune are currently in South Africa on this route.

Exactly!  Which means those of us on the Mumbai leg will have our cruise cancelled and should be told, unless they’re thinking of rerouting us to pick up the ship at Cochin, where the world cruises docked.  We have the 5 day pre tour booked so that adds another complication.  Also, where are those due to leave the ship in Mumbai disembarking?  It would still be a tall order logistically, even if your idea works.  At least a third of the passengers on the world cruises have left their ships because they don’t want to sail down the coast of Africa.  It’s not what people signed up for, even if there are those who would find it exciting!

As of today 15/4, Viking are still intending to operate this itinerary for the October, 2024 dates.

I find it quite bizarre that next year’s sailings for this itinerary are confirmed as cancelled and, yet this October is deemed ok to run🤔! Also, for those thinking about cancelling, (before the due date for the payment of the final balance), seems like this would cost you 25% of the full payment, according to their T&Cs….unless I’ve read that wrong?  Please correct if I’ve misread this information….

a bit of a dilemma then?

No, you’re not wrong.  We checked too.  It’s utterly mad to consider that this cruise will go ahead as currently planned.  I don’t know what they’re playing at but I wish they’d stop - soon!  It reminds us very much of their slow response to Covid when they were well behind the curve then too.  If it helps, when our cruise was cancelled by them due to Covid, after we’d paid the final balance, we were all offered 125% to carry forward.  It’s impossible to say if they’ll do that again.

As I mentioned previously, the longer they delay making a decision the fewer choices will be left, if you wish to take another Viking Cruise this year….booking 6 months ahead nowadays quite ‘short notice’ for a lot of holidays as many people are booking much farther ahead.  125% is an attractive offer, but only if you can find something which appeals!

I see that on the UK  web site, for this cruise 2025/26 dates there is still a lot of availability showing, which suggests they are still selling staterooms…which seems odd, if, as been commented, these cruises are now no longer running.  Who knows…?

If I hear anything further I’ll post an update here asap👍

I agree with what you say, FWT, and thanks for posting an update. It’s very helpful.  I heard that operators continue to sell rooms even when they know a cruise will be cancelled because they then have ‘captive’ passengers who are more likely to rebook with them.  It sounds plausible.  

On 3/22/2024 at 3:26 AM, CDNPolar said:

Just a quiet warning about the voucher offer.

Be careful before accepting the voucher for 110% as these are very tempting because it is essentially free money, but Viking want to keep your money with them.

The voucher restrictions are tight and unless the voucher rules have changed, the voucher must be used in its entirety on your next cruise.  You cannot divide it between two cruises of lessor cost.

Just curious - using simple numbers to illustrate the point, not representative of the specific cruise under discussion - if current cruise were $10,000 then 110% would mean a $11,000 voucher.  What if you rebook on a cruise that is $9,000? Will they refund the difference of $2,000? 

If not, then it would suggest you really need to find a cruise of greater value to get any real benefit from the 110% offer. 

1 hour ago, Steerpike58 said:

Just curious - using simple numbers to illustrate the point, not representative of the specific cruise under discussion - if current cruise were $10,000 then 110% would mean a $11,000 voucher.  What if you rebook on a cruise that is $9,000? Will they refund the difference of $2,000? 

If not, then it would suggest you really need to find a cruise of greater value to get any real benefit from the 110% offer. 

No, they will not refund the difference.  Viking vouchers have no cash value.  You also cannot divide the voucher over two cruises.

You either have to upgrade your cabin, buy all the optional tours, or spend the money on Spa services, or alcohol or on the gratuities.  (Can't remember for sure, but think voucher value can be spent on gratuities....)

This is where at the beginning of the pandemic some folks got caught with vouchers that we 125% and for some that was a very enticing offer until you had to spend it.  If you were rebooking the same cruise it would be hard to spend 25% more.

We will only take cash back refund regardless of the voucher offer.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

No, they will not refund the difference.  Viking vouchers have no cash value.  You also cannot divide the voucher over two cruises.

You either have to upgrade your cabin, buy all the optional tours, or spend the money on Spa services, or alcohol or on the gratuities.  (Can't remember for sure, but think voucher value can be spent on gratuities....)

This is where at the beginning of the pandemic some folks got caught with vouchers that we 125% and for some that was a very enticing offer until you had to spend it.  If you were rebooking the same cruise it would be hard to spend 25% more.

Ahhhh .... all the extras! - excursions, upgrades, cabin upgrades, etc. Yes, I can imagine taking advantage of those.   We were given the beverages package upgrade on our recent cruise, unasked. Ironically, I don't drink any more (and my partner manages about 1 glass of wine a night) so it was a bit of a waste!  

15 minutes ago, Steerpike58 said:

Ahhhh .... all the extras! - excursions, upgrades, cabin upgrades, etc. Yes, I can imagine taking advantage of those.   We were given the beverages package upgrade on our recent cruise, unasked. Ironically, I don't drink any more (and my partner manages about 1 glass of wine a night) so it was a bit of a waste!  

Well, it gives your Partner the full menu to browse and no worries, because you always get included wines with meals.  In essence this has cost Viking nothing to upgrade you.

On 4/15/2024 at 9:05 PM, fairweathertraveller said:

As I mentioned previously, the longer they delay making a decision the fewer choices will be left, if you wish to take another Viking Cruise this year….booking 6 months ahead nowadays quite ‘short notice’ for a lot of holidays as many people are booking much farther ahead.  125% is an attractive offer, but only if you can find something which appeals!

I see that on the UK  web site, for this cruise 2025/26 dates there is still a lot of availability showing, which suggests they are still selling staterooms…which seems odd, if, as been commented, these cruises are now no longer running.  Who knows…?

If I hear anything further I’ll post an update here asap👍

FYI - By chance, I have just seen a post on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - November trip Rome to Dubai through Red Sea cancelled for safety reasons.  Next leg is Dubai to Singapore but those people haven’t been notified yet if the ship will sail around Africa to meet them.

Posted (edited)
On 4/16/2024 at 2:29 AM, CDNPolar said:

You either have to upgrade your cabin, buy all the optional tours, or spend the money on Spa services, or alcohol or on the gratuities. 

I agree with you on taking cash rather than vouchers.

However - you might want to ask now about the voucher splitting issue.  We were able to split vouchers over $10,000 into two different cruises.  Specifically we had $12K and did $6k against one cruise and the remaining against a different cruise.  (pp so 2 x that for couple).   I was surprised, but we were told that if the voucher is more than $10K you could do this.

Perhaps that has changed now as that was 2 years ago.

And yes, there is no refund, but you can apply the remainder to pre-paid gratuities, excursions, etc...   Vouchers are all a bit different in rules so look closely.  Some you have to completely use before boarding.  We have an upcoming cruise where there's about $1.7K left to spend and that voucher's rules says it has to be spent before the cruise is completed (so good use it onboard as well).   Vouchers are not created equally.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1