Have question re walking path from Amsterdam central station to Movenpick Hotel

I'd like to just walk from the train station to Movenpick Hotel but I can't find how to access pedestrian path.  Can I cross directly from back of station?  Also, maps show a pedestrian ramp that leads to the Bumhuis adjacent to the hotel - can I access that instead of walking further down and around the back of the hotel?  I'm 80 y/o female traveling alone, will have 1 piece of roller luggage.  I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible - arrive at Schipol May2nd.  Thanks for any input.

Posted (edited)

I can confirm that the easiest way to access the pedestrian path is via an exit at the back of the station.  Toward the water.  You will then be on the path.  I have done the walk twice this way.  The walk is easy enough assuming you're able to walk that distance.  The surface is smooth enough for rolling luggage.

I see the pedestrian ramp you refer to going to the Bumhuis.  I really don't recall that being there when I was there a year and half ago.  But perhaps I just missed it.  I cannot confirm whether it allows for hotel access or not.  I use the other ramp that takes you down a little further and makes you U-turn back to the hotel.

Google Maps seems to show a gate between the Bumhuis and Movenpic after crossing the ramp.  It looks like you'd have to go inside the Bumhuis building and use an internal connection between the building, if that exists.  Someone else will need to confirm this.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks so much!  Is the path on same side as station?  Just wondering where to cross over.  I don't think I'll have any trouble with the walk unless it's raining  - then I'll take taxi from station.

To get to the PTA/Movenpick you will have to walk around the small water. The ramp to the Muziekgebouw also has a sign (re)directing cruise passengers and hotel guests.

The ramp is also a bit steep, if you have to go back it might be a bit tricky with rolling luggage.

Here's a older (but clear) Streetview image of the ramp and sign:

image.thumb.png.95cb2076fb3b8637e2b9a3cf0a0af4f7.png

9 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

To get to the PTA/Movenpick you will have to walk around the small water. The ramp to the Muziekgebouw also has a sign (re)directing cruise passengers and hotel guests.

The ramp is also a bit steep, if you have to go back it might be a bit tricky with rolling luggage.

Here's a older (but clear) Streetview image of the ramp and sign:

image.thumb.png.95cb2076fb3b8637e2b9a3cf0a0af4f7.png

Thank you so much, this is very helpful.  Glad to know there are signs!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flahagan said:

Thanks so much!  Is the path on same side as station?  Just wondering where to cross over.  I don't think I'll have any trouble with the walk unless it's raining  - then I'll take taxi from station.

Yep, you can cross to the path directly when exiting the Centraal Station on the IJ side (names after the IJ waterway, IJzijde), just be aware of bicycles! When facing the water, go right and you will eventually see the Movenpick logo in the far distance on the top of the hotel. Keep following the red bike path on the footpath on a safe distance from the bicycles, it goes a bit uphill across a bridge and you will pass the Muziekgebouw and ramp on your left, keep walking and make a u-turn after the water and head in the opposite direction to the Movenpick.

image.thumb.png.9770afbde3a263adcaaaadbb9192bcd2.png

1 minute ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Yep, you can cross to the path directly when exiting the Centraal Station on the IJ side (names after the IJ waterway, IJzijde), just be aware of bicycles! When facing the water, go right and you will eventually see the Movenpick logo in the far distance on the top of the hotel. Keep following the red bike path on the footpath on a safe distance from the bicycles, it goes a bit uphill across a bridge and you will pass the Muziekgebouw and ramp on your left, keep walking and make a u-turn after the water and head in the opposite direction to the Movenpick.

image.thumb.png.9770afbde3a263adcaaaadbb9192bcd2.png

Got it - can't thank you enough!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FreestyleNovice said:

My pleasure, enjoy your stay in The Netherlands! When is your cruise?

May 4th on HAL Rotterdam, out of the Rotterdam port.  I'm coming to Amsterdam early to see the tulips at Keukenhof Gardens, have booked a tour on May3rd.  The cruise is to the Norwegian fjords.  I know it's early and will be cold and wet, but I've always wanted to see them and I've also always wanted to go to the tulip festival so I'm doubly excited!  I'm a little sad that I no longer have friends that are capable of traveling (I'm a widow), but I'm in excellent health and I'm going to just travel alone as long as I'm fit!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, flahagan said:

May 4th on HAL Rotterdam, out of the Rotterdam port.  I'm coming to Amsterdam early to see the tulips at Keukenhof Gardens, have booked a tour on May3rd.  The cruise is to the Norwegian fjords.  I know it's early and will be cold and wet, but I've always wanted to see them and I've also always wanted to go to the tulip festival so I'm doubly excited!  I'm a little sad that I no longer have friends that are capable of traveling (I'm a widow), but I'm in excellent health and I'm going to just travel alone as long as I'm fit!

Your post is so full of positive energy and good spirit, it's heartwarming to read your post(s) and with your mindset I am sure you will have an unforgettable time! Hats off to you for that, and on a respectable age! Also note how other frequent posters liked your post too, so it's not just me who's touched by it! :classic_happy:

Norway can be chilly but with spring in the air and some warm and layered clothing you will be good to enjoy the shoulder season. The Keukenhof will be in it's last week of the 2024 season but the gardeners plant the bulbs in layers so there are flowers blooming at any time during the season.

On a side note: May 4th is a special day Remembrance of the Dead (in Dutch: Dodenherdenking) is held annually on May 4 in the Netherlands. It commemorates all civilians and members of the armed forces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who have died in wars or peacekeeping missions since the beginning of the Second World War, at 8pm two minutes of silence is observed throughout the Netherlands. Public transport is stopped as well as all other traffic. Nationwide flags will be half staff that day. On May 5th we celebrate our freedom with a national holiday. Your ship departure is 3pm so besides the flags you might notice no impact on your travels.

My email alias is in my signature, please reach out if I can assist you with anything before or during your stay in The Netherlands, I'll personally race you to the ship if you run late or something unforeseen might happen! :classic_smile:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Your post is so full of positive energy and good spirit, it's heartwarming to read your post(s) and with your mindset I am sure you will have an unforgettable time! Hats off to you for that, and on a respectable age! Also note how other frequent posters liked your post too, so it's not just me who's touched by it! :classic_happy:

Norway can be chilly but with spring in the air and some warm and layered clothing you will be good to enjoy the shoulder season. The Keukenhof will be in it's last week of the 2024 season but the gardeners plant the bulbs in layers so there are flowers blooming at any time during the season.

On a side note: May 4th is a special day Remembrance of the Dead (in Dutch: Dodenherdenking) is held annually on May 4 in the Netherlands. It commemorates all civilians and members of the armed forces of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who have died in wars or peacekeeping missions since the beginning of the Second World War, at 8pm two minutes of silence is observed throughout the Netherlands. Public transport is stopped as well as all other traffic. Nationwide flags will be half staff that day. On May 5th we celebrate our freedom with a national holiday. Your ship departure is 3pm so besides the flags you might notice no impact on your travels.

My email alias is in my signature, please reach out if I can assist you with anything before or during your stay in The Netherlands, I'll personally race you to the ship if you run late or something unforeseen might happen! :classic_smile:

Your kind words and generosity are so welcome and greatly appreciated.  Thank you for letting me know about the Remembrance Day.  I love that these heroes are never forgotten.  I'll be sure to post how my travels were - I love adventures and a little challenge, keeps me looking forward.  Thanks again, wish I could meet you sometime - I know you're a wonderful person!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:41 PM, flahagan said:

Ditto on the positive energy...... I wish you the best on your Norway cruise and hope you have a great time.

My two cents worth of advice on a Norway cruise is this... if you are traveling down any long Fjords (such as ports Flam or Geiranger) do a little homework ahead of time and figure out about what time in the morning your ship will be entering the Fjord.    It may be early like 4:30 am (it may be sunrise about this time) and the sail in could be several hours.   On our cruise I was the only person on the deck at 5 am for over an hour before others showed up - it was really beautiful.   Note that our ship told us nothing about fjord sail in schedules...   

Have fun....

IMG_0858 mod.jpg

19 hours ago, CCJack said:

Ditto on the positive energy...... I wish you the best on your Norway cruise and hope you have a great time.

My two cents worth of advice on a Norway cruise is this... if you are traveling down any long Fjords (such as ports Flam or Geiranger) do a little homework ahead of time and figure out about what time in the morning your ship will be entering the Fjord.    It may be early like 4:30 am (it may be sunrise about this time) and the sail in could be several hours.   On our cruise I was the only person on the deck at 5 am for over an hour before others showed up - it was really beautiful.   Note that our ship told us nothing about fjord sail in schedules...   

Have fun....

IMG_0858 mod.jpg

Thank you for the heads up and I definitely plan to be up for every sail-in!  Geiranger fjord looks particularly spectacular.