Queen Anne Alternative Dining

Pear Carr

25 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I would suggest that Cunard 's IT has a system trigger switch linked to 'days from' cruise that will switch the additional options on and a further one for actual bookings and pricing.

Fortunately, as stated at # 17 I stated 'I'm certainly neither overwhelmed with the choice of options' and therefore aren't logging in daily hoping to grab a booking. 

Do you know what special things are arranged for your maiden voyage on the unnamed ship, if any?

I think that they entice pax to use the for fee restaurants to enhance revenue obviously, and then they save money by not using table cloths (see Carnival) and they reduce food costs in the included restaurants.  Very clever but I don’t fall for it!   I want table cloths!

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 2:08 AM, exlondoner said:

As far as I can see, the really major advantage of table cloths is they absorb a lot of noise, which bare wood does not. In a noisy restaurant this can make a huge difference, but may not matter in a smallish space with well behaved Cunard passengers. On the other hand, when I managed to knock over a nearly full bottle of Malbec in QG last summer, I imagine the staff would have been happier without table cloths to sort out.

That's hilarious, although I'm sure you didn't think so at the time.  I believe the reason Cunard has dispensed with table linen in high traffic restaurants (as opposed to main dining rooms where one's regular table is assigned) stems from the pandemic.  It is far more hygienic to cleanse tables with antibacterial and antiviral solutions and a cloth, than to launder the linen, even though high water temperature and laundry solutions could be used.  I must say, however, that it is delightful to be seated at our assigned QG table, bedecked and resplendent (the table, I mean😉)

1 hour ago, Minnie29 said:

Still wondering whether QA will have the option of a speciality dining package? 

It's not something that I can recall Cunard doing before.  There again for QE, QV and QM2 with a choice only 2 venues in the evening, and 1 at lunch, all with different prices, it wouldn't make sense or easy to do. QA I guess could change that, but at this stage I would not think it likely.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That's hilarious, although I'm sure you didn't think so at the time.  I believe the reason Cunard has dispensed with table linen in high traffic restaurants (as opposed to main dining rooms where one's regular table is assigned) stems from the pandemic.  It is far more hygienic to cleanse tables with antibacterial and antiviral solutions and a cloth, than to launder the linen, even though high water temperature and laundry solutions could be used.  I must say, however, that it is delightful to be seated at our assigned QG table, bedecked and resplendent (the table, I mean😉)

I was distraught at the time. 😀 But there were a couple of good points. None of it went over anybody, amazingly, and only about a glass actually came out before I grabbed it, but, believe me, a glass goes a long way. Anyway, I got my comeuppance, for the next day I tested positive for Covid and was confined, so I couldn’t knock another bottle over in the restaurant.

Edited by exlondoner

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I was distraught at the time. 😀 But there were a couple of good points. None of it went over anybody, amazingly, and only about a glass actually came out before I grabbed it, but, believe me, a glass goes a long way. Anyway, I got my comeuppance, for the next day I tested positive for Covid and was confined, so I couldn’t knock another bottle over in the restaurant.

Oh no!  A double tragedy.  Hope you didn’t suffer greatly, and made a rapid recovery. The latter tragedy aside, I am, as I read your post, imagining a Basil or Manuel moment😂😂

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Oh no!  A double tragedy.  Hope you didn’t suffer greatly, and made a rapid recovery. The latter tragedy aside, I am, as I read your post, imagining a Basil or Manuel moment😂😂

The waiters were wonderful and kind. And undoubtedly worthy of an additional gratuity. I was allowed out after six days, just in time to enjoy Liverpool. The bizarre thing is that my husband, who was allowed out, though not to eat in the restaurants, was tested every day, and never caught it, despite sharing a cabin with me. Strange disease.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:54 PM, blonde-cruiser said:

We are 88 days to go till our cruise on QA and see the same 'enquire on board' message under alternative dining. I can only imagine therefore that rather than there being a standardised window of opportunity to book one of these venues in advance, they are still working out the costs or troubleshooting the res system

Must be the same cruise... We are 86 days out and it's now Friday not Wednesday...

On 3/25/2024 at 5:00 PM, exlondoner said:

I had something that implied Aji Wa and Sir Sam’s were extra, but not the others. Sorry, can’t find it.

Aji Wa and Sir Samuels are the two I am offered with our Luxury Celebration Package (bought in black Friday deal and they upped the prices the day after...), so there is logic to what you suggest

• 2 weeks later...

Been able to book Aji Wa, Aranya, Sir Samuels (plus the lunch option) and Tramonto for 15th October sailing. There was also another option for Sushi Table at Aji Wa.

I did read it shouldn't be possible, but it's all gone through and showing in bookings and calendar.

We’ve either Aji Wa or Sir Samuel’s with a package I’ve booked (champagne, flowers, chocs, robes, photo). I assume we’ll know when and how on board. That’s enough I think as we have PG so food should be ok there. 

Husband is in the process of booking all 4 alternative dining venues.  Doing Sir Samuel's at lunch, I think.. wondering if the menu for lunch is different than dinner?? hadn't actually thought about it, but..  but as it was an option, while the others only do dinner, we decided to do that one for lunch. 

3 hours ago, Sungirlbgi said:

Husband is in the process of booking all 4 alternative dining venues.  Doing Sir Samuel's at lunch, I think.. wondering if the menu for lunch is different than dinner?? hadn't actually thought about it, but..  but as it was an option, while the others only do dinner, we decided to do that one for lunch. 

Must be different as not much more than half the price. 

I know that if we book one of the alternative dining places before we board that we have to pay for it, but if we wait until on board we can use our obc. So my question is (and probably can't really be answered!) are we risking losing our preferred date which will be DH's birthday (would take a different date if necessary) or should we simply pay up and guarantee a spot.

Just as an added thought:  We are thinking of purchasing the birthday celebration package and I am assuming that we can choose which restaurant we want?  DH prefers the Sir Samuel's menu above all the others.

8 hours ago, Sungirlbgi said:

Is your husband expecting the mdr food to be very bad? 😀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, babs135 said:

I know that if we book one of the alternative dining places before we board that we have to pay for it, but if we wait until on board we can use our obc. So my question is (and probably can't really be answered!) are we risking losing our preferred date which will be DH's birthday (would take a different date if necessary) or should we simply pay up and guarantee a spot.

Just as an added thought:  We are thinking of purchasing the birthday celebration package and I am assuming that we can choose which restaurant we want?  DH prefers the Sir Samuel's menu above all the others.

I'd pay up and guarantee a spot. Was looking last night and already on a couple of days in late June some times are sold out.

Your OBC will in large part go on the "hotel and dining charge

The package I bought (luxury celebration package) offers Sir Samuels or the sushi ones only (which to be fair seem the highest value); I don't know how you book a time/date with that package; am going to ring them sometime to find out

15 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Birthday package says Verandah...but of course QA hasn't got Verandah..

Celebration package says Verandah for QM2/QE/QV and Sir Samuels or Aji Wa for QA. So pretty sure it'd be the same for Birthday package

image.thumb.png.c107be52b546c2539d91dcc326800cad.png

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Is your husband expecting the mdr food to be very bad? 😀

no.. neither am I, he just wants to try the alternative dining locations.   and it's many times cheaper to do these than were we live.   even if the japanese restaurant is paid per piece  ...  just saying.

Edited by Sungirlbgi