Please help me understand....

nzrainbow

Hoping someone with a better "Math" mind than mine can help with this query....

I am cruising 4 Back to Backs for a total of 49 nights. I'm on a Standard fare as I dont drink alcohol so the packages are not good value for me. Each section of my cruise has its own booking # and the bookings are linked. The first 3 legs totalling 23 nights are billed in AUD. The final leg of 26 nights is billed in USD.  My booking was made in USD. My OBC is credited to my folio in either AUD or USD depending on which currency the ship was billing in for that section of the overall cruise. USD OBC was credited for AUD cruise sections at a DollarforDollar rate. I.e USD $100 became $100 AUD (not taking into consideration the current exchange rate) I have AUD/USD $500 OBC for the first 23 night section of the cruise and USD $550 OBC for the second 26 night section.

My question lies with the billing for internet. I purchased an entire cruise internet package for 1 device as soon as I got onboard as I wished to use my OBC for this. 

My status gives a 50% discount on internet price. I understand the current price for internet access is $24.99 USD per day. A 50 % discount should see me paying $12.50 USD per day for the 26 days I'm billed in USD and approx $19.10 AUD per day for the 23 days I'm billed in AUD.

So my math says 26 days × $12.50 USD = $325 USD

and  23 days x $19. 10 AUD = $439.30 AUD.

I was billed a total of  $936 AUD when I purchased the package at the start of the cruise.

My understanding is that if the first 23 days was billed in AUD at $439.30 and taken out of my AUD OBC of $500 I'd have $60.70 AUD OBC remaining. Then the remaining 26 days billed in USD at $325 taken from my $550 USD OBC I'd have $175 USD OBC remaining. 

In my mind it appears I've actually been charged a total $19.20 per day whether my folio is in AUD or USD since $936 divided by 49 is $19.10 per day.

Thanks for your assistance:)

50 minutes ago, dickinson said:

I would check with guest services.

They seemed even more confused than me lol so weren't a great deal of help.... at least I tried!

For the 23 day segment using AUD...

(Wi-Fi price per day) x (number of days) = total cost

(total cost) x (50% for Elite discount)  = total cost with Elite discount

(total cost with Elite discount) - (AU$500 OBC) = excess OBC in AU$

AU$38.20  x  23  =  AU $878.60

AU$878.60  x  0.5  = AU$439.30

AU$439.30  -  AU$500  =  -  AU$60.70

For the 26 day segment using USD...

(Wi-Fi price per day)  x  (number of days)  =  total cost

(total cost)  x  (50% for Elite discount)  =  total cost with Elite discount

(total cost with Elite discount)  -  (US$550 OBC)  =  excess OBC in US$

US$25.00  x  26  =  US$650.00

US$650.00  x  0.5  =  US$325.00

US$325.00  -  US$550.00  =  -  US$225.00

Is the the point you're trying to get across?

I would also make positive that your folio is being closed and zeroed out at the end of each segment.  It could be that you will keep accruing charges for the entire cruise and being presented one final bill at the end.  If this is the case, then the segments in AU$ will be converted using an arbitrary exchange rate into US$, since that's the final currency of your last segment.

4 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

I would also make positive that your folio is being closed and zeroed out at the end of each segment.  It could be that you will keep accruing charges for the entire cruise and being presented one final bill at the end.  If this is the case, then the segments in AU$ will be converted using an arbitrary exchange rate into US$, since that's the final currency of your last segment.

No, my Folio rolls over each segment and my OBC for the following segment is then added.  The internet bill for the entire cruise was charged in full at commencement of the cruise in AUD. In total for the Cruise I have OBC of $1050 made up of $500 AUD and $550 USD.

$1050 less the $936 internet charge leaves $114 OBC remaining.  But if the internet was charged separately for the 2 sections (One in AUD and one in USD)  I'd be left with $235.70.... I.e $60.70 plus $175 = $235.70

Sorry I'm unable to explain any better and I'm really struggling to get my head around the apparent difference 😞

Posted (edited)

I am unable to follow the math.  But, this is just a suggestion.  Ask for a refund for the following three bookings.  Pay for the one you are currently on.  Then at the start of each new booking, "buy" the package for that amount of time.

It seems to me that since you started in Australia, you will be charged in AU$.  

Or wait for Dr. Math to chime in.  (lol/inside joke)

Edited by cr8tiv1

11 minutes ago, nzrainbow said:

No, my Folio rolls over each segment and my OBC for the following segment is then added. 

If that's the case and you were charged for 49 day of Wi-Fi in AUD, then...

AU$936 in Wi-Fi  -  AU$500 OBC  =  AU$436 outstanding on your folio.

When you start your segment with US$ as currency, the AU$436 will be converted using an arbitrary exchange rate set by Princess into US$.

Only after the AU$436 due for Wi-Fi has been converted into US$ will the US$550 be applied, and only then will you know how much extra US$ OBC you have. 

This is assuming that you don't have any other charges.

2 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

If that's the case and you were charged for 49 day of Wi-Fi in AUD, then...

AU$936 in Wi-Fi  -  AU$500 OBC  =  AU$436 outstanding on your folio.

When you start your segment with US$ as currency, the AU$436 will be converted using an arbitrary exchange rate set by Princess into US$.

Only after the AU$436 due for Wi-Fi has been converted into US$ will the US$550 be applied, and only then will you know how much extra US$ OBC you have. 

This is assuming that you don't have any other charges.

Oh Thank you so much! That makes it so much clearer.... my assumption was that seeing my original USD OBC offering was credited to my Folio in AUD at a DollarforDollar amount for the first segment the same would apply for the outstanding folio amount at the end of that segment and this would be rolled over into a DollarforDollar USD amount thus leaving me out of pocket! 🙂 I'm sure my inability to explain this all clearly hindered Guest Services ability to explain what would really happen.... the result being a shrug of the shoulders and the answer that "its just the way things are done...." 🙂

I've done plenty of Back2Backs before but this is the first time my Folio has rolled over like this and the first time I've purchased internet for the entire voyage rather than occasional days here and there. Once again thank you for your explanation 🙂

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am unable to follow the math.  But, this is just a suggestion.  Ask for a refund for the following three bookings.  Pay for the one you are currently on.  Then at the start of each new booking, "buy" the package for that amount of time.

It seems to me that since you started in Australia, you will be charged in AU$.  

Or wait for Dr. Math to chime in.  (lol/inside joke)

I tried that option initially but as my 4 seperate segments are being classed as ONE voyage that didn't work for the whole voyage internet pricing and I would have been charged at the more expensive daily rate! 

And yes, I was charged in AUD as I embarked in Australia, only the final segment is in USD as that ends in the USA 🙂

• Like 1