GeoBlue and Chase Sapphire Preferred all I need for global travels?

I'm planning near full time global travels starting this summer for potentially a couple years.  Much cruising involved and staying in port towns for potentially a few weeks in between cruises around world then back in US every couple months or so for 2-3 weeks at a time, rinse repeat.  Will be maintaining primary medical insurance (early retired) in US. 

Will adding annual multitrip GeoBlue and using Chase Sapphire Preferred cover all travel/med insurance needs?  Anything else to consider?  Any additional travel insurance recommended?

2 hours ago, SoloFullTime said:

Will adding annual multitrip GeoBlue and using Chase Sapphire Preferred cover all travel/med insurance needs?  Anything else to consider?  Any additional travel insurance recommended?

Do you have family (particularly at-risk or infirm family members) to take into consideration? I was not sure that Chase Sapphire allowed for worsening of an existing condition of a loved one, so I added Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage from Holland America and indeed, that is the one we collected on. It wasn't any particular reason, but just my worry that something would go wrong while we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info (last two posts).  Will consider those depending on length of leg of trips and situation.  It seems between GeoBlue and Sapphire card I'll be reasonably covered for most situations and then will consider specialty coverage depending on any higher chances of near future unique situations.

Edited by SoloFullTime

On 3/31/2024 at 7:31 PM, SoloFullTime said:

I'm planning near full time global travels starting this summer for potentially a couple years.  Much cruising involved and staying in port towns for potentially a few weeks in between cruises around world then back in US every couple months or so for 2-3 weeks at a time, rinse repeat.  Will be maintaining primary medical insurance (early retired) in US. 

Hi SoloFullTime,

Chase, nor any of the other credit card plans cover anything related to pre-existing medical conditions of you, traveling companions or non-traveling family members that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip.

If you don't need the pre-existing medical conditions coverage, then using the GeoBlue Trekker plan is a good choice. We've sold a lot of GeoBlue Trekker plans in combination with credit card plans for this same situation.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback

13 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi SoloFullTime,

Chase, nor any of the other credit card plans cover anything related to pre-existing medical conditions of you, traveling companions or non-traveling family members that could worsen and, in turn, cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip.

If you don't need the pre-existing medical conditions coverage, then using the GeoBlue Trekker plan is a good choice. We've sold a lot of GeoBlue Trekker plans in combination with credit card plans for this same situation.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Thanks for the feedback.  I did realize credit cards aren't for medical, I was asking if between GeoBlue and Sapphire combined it would cover the range of most travel incidents to medical.

On GeoBlue Trekker, I"m seeing many sources and their site showing pre-existing is covered.  Did I misunderstand your comment or are there many restrictions?

45 minutes ago, SoloFullTime said:

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks for the feedback.  I did realize credit cards aren't for medical, I was asking if between GeoBlue and Sapphire combined it would cover the range of most travel incidents to medical.

On GeoBlue Trekker, I"m seeing many sources and their site showing pre-existing is covered.  Did I misunderstand your comment or are there many restrictions?

Hi SoloFullTime,

> On GeoBlue Trekker, I"m seeing many sources and their site showing pre-existing is covered. Did I misunderstand your comment or are there many restrictions?

The reason I said that about credit cards not covering pre-existing medical conditions is that there are far more trip cancellation and interruption claims due to a pre-existing medical condition that there are medical claims due to a pre-existing medical condition.

I wanted you to be aware of this because nearly everyone we talk with wants Geo Blue because it covers pre-existing medical conditions, yet they are surprised to hear that their credit card won't cover them if they have a trip cancellation or interruption claim due to the same pre-existing medical conditions.

I hope this makes better sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Planning on using the same combination of Chase Sapphire and GeoBlue Trekker,  when should we buy the GeoBlue Trekker policy?  We already have a deposit on the cruise and will buy airfare soon but the trip starts in Aug of this year. 

Also if your US medical insurance provider changes during the travel period does it affect the GeoBlue Trekker policy in anyway.  One of us may go from a private policy to Medicare during the time. 

Thanks to Steve and all the other great poster for being a great resource.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Planning on using the same combination of Chase Sapphire and GeoBlue Trekker,  when should we buy the GeoBlue Trekker policy?  We already have a deposit on the cruise and will buy airfare soon but the trip starts in Aug of this year. 

Also if your US medical insurance provider changes during the travel period does it affect the GeoBlue Trekker policy in anyway.  One of us may go from a private policy to Medicare during the time. 

Thanks to Steve and all the other great poster for being a great resource.

Hi happy cruzer,

Geo Blue only covers you outside the USA, so the time to get it is when you are closer to your departure date. You would make the effective date the day before you leave home.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Thanks 1