Should i pre-pay water before the cruise?

Thanks all for your input... don't want to start a war or something  😜

5 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

An interesting thread title.  I mean, isn't "before the cruise" the only time you can "pre-pay" water?

And yes i will "pre-pay" "before" the cruise  😜

5 hours ago, Asawi said:

I just thought I'd chime in on the "refillable water bottle" subject: I do not own any expensive refillable water bottle. I use empty soda/water bottles and on cruises also the carton my gold status gives me. They are all "refillable". And should I not want to take them back from a tour I can just discard them. I can also keep a couple of them in the fridge, should I want to.

Do you stick it right under the spout?  Because you're not supposed to.  The buffet staff often tells people they need to get water with a glass and fill their bottle from the glass.  Seems more difficult to fill a narrow neck disposable bottle with a glass.  And you can't get ice into them.

While I carried around a Hydroflask because I could put hot tea into it, my kids used their ubiquitous $5 green Gatorade squeeze bottles that many kids who play high school sports have.  Refillable bottles don't need to be expensive.

3 hours ago, DCwom said:

We usually get some water bottles for excursions, and yes we also have reusable water bottles, but sometime you want to just travel light. We're on the POA in May with ports everyday, so we can probably buy water in the ports from time to time, does anyone know if they give you grief for returning with multiple water bottles from off-ship?

You're not supposed to be allowed to bring back any outside food or water onto the ship.  I saw security make a guy throw out an entire uneaten wrapped sandwich that it seems like he had just bought.  That said, we filled our water bottles on the ship, took them off ship, and boarded back with them and the crew didn't say anything.  I was prepared to empty the water but they didn't make us do so.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Do you stick it right under the spout?  

I certainly do not! Why would you think that?

I do as you should: I fill a glass and transfer the water to the bottle. Or I refill it in my bathroom. 

I'm not American so I'm not addicted to ice. 😁

Edited by Asawi
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Asawi said:

I just thought I'd chime in on the "refillable water bottle" subject: I do not own any expensive refillable water bottle. I use empty soda/water bottles and on cruises also the carton my gold status gives me. They are all "refillable". And should I not want to take them back from a tour I can just discard them. 

We are gold, tell me about the carton of water you get with gold status please. 

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

While enforcement may vary, NCL prohibits bring water on board.

I like “the good ole days” when you could tape a luggage tag on to a case of water and bring it on board! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Caligirl33 said:

You get 1 carton of water per Gold member in room, but those are smaller one (500ml) instead of the one you buy on the ship (1L)

Just now, Caligirl33 said:

I like “the good ole days” when you could tape a luggage tag on to a case of water and bring it on board! 

I've never  understood the fascination with bottled water.  Water is water.  The ships water is the same as that in the plastic bottles.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Caligirl33 said:

One half liter carton should be left in your room for gold and above. (Maybe it's two for sapphire?). I think it's per person, but since I'm solo I don't know.

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've never  understood the fascination with bottled water.  Water is water.  The ships water is the same as that in the plastic bottles.

At home I don’t drink bottled water. I have a “Simple Modern” brand insulated and refillable tumbler. And I will be bringing it for drinking water on the ship. But I am not going to bring it off the ship. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asawi said:

One half liter carton should be left in your room for gold and above. (Maybe it's two for sapphire?). I think it's per person, but since I'm solo I don't know.

Per person per day or 1 for the entire cruise?

50 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My bottled water comes from the pristine springs of a regional mountainous snow-capped wonderland graced by Mother Nature’s loving hand, and it’s bottled by magical forest dwelling pixies and then delivered to my local market by unicorns through the rainbow filled countryside. Or at least it says say on the label. 😉 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

My bottled water comes from the pristine springs of a regional mountainous snow-capped wonderland graced by Mother Nature’s loving hand, and it’s bottled by magical forest dwelling pixies and then delivered to my local market by unicorns through the rainbow filled countryside. Or at least it says say on the label. 😉 

🤣

I always get a kick out of those who do not want 'recycled' water.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:49 PM, disgirl said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but isnt bottle water included in the beverage package?  (asked by someone who hasnt been on NCL in 25 years).   I may have assumed incorrectly as it is with all the other cruises i have done with packages.  

Nope.  And you know what is really crazy?  Having the FAS beverage package I would be charged extra for San Pelligrino sparkling water while Prosecco (Italian champagne), my other go- to drink would be free.  Hello, NCL, Pelligrino is WAY less expensive than Prosecco.  The bean counters seem to have missed that one.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Asawi said:

I certainly do not! Why would you think that?

I do as you should: I fill a glass and transfer the water to the bottle. Or I refill it in my bathroom. 

I'm not American so I'm not addicted to ice. 😁

Because I've seen others who are trying to refill disposable plastic bottles do just that.  The opening is so narrow and some think it's easier to just stick the bottle under the spout.  It's good that you don't do that, and I guess it makes sense if you don't use ice that you wouldn't have to worry about trying to fit ice cubes through the narrow opening.

• Like 1

We pre-purchase the water package because we can pay it in CAD and it will be in our cabin when we arrive.

If purchased on the ship it must be paid in USD.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It depends on the water itself. Most bottled water is just filtered (usually reverse osmosis) and that is basically identical to what you would get on a ship, not counting for any contaminants present in the pipes or faucet. However some water with higher PH, dissolved solids, distilled, etc does have a different taste and a unique breakdown and is measurably different.

That said, the stuff you buy in the bottles (which aren’t even bottles) is essentially identical to what you would get out of the ship’s faucet. It might be fractionally better as it comes directly after purification.

Yes! While we've been on about 10 cruises. On our 15 day Emerald Princess Panama Canal earlier this year we ordered the bottled water package in advance for the first time. It was cheap at about only $7.00 for about 10 bottles, and glad we got it. It was delivered to our cabin the day after embarkation. Of course  we had a good  refrigerator  in our cabin to keep it cool and took some with us on some excursions. We could also get free ice on request from our steward. 

• Like 2

You asked, so here's why I pre-pay for water:

I am admittedly horrible about remembering to drink water. Misery ensues, especially when hot weather, sparkling wine, margaritas, and gin & tonics enter the chat. Yes, I can fill at the tap or the buffet (ignoring the signs that explicitly say not to) and I can and do bring my hydroflask for that purpose. BUT...when I pre-pay water, I "assign" myself a certain number to drink every day. I throw them in my bag when going ashore and save a trip to the buffet or the table as you walk off the ship to get one. I drink half a cold one from the fridge when I get up, and the other half before I go to bed (I can't stand room temp water).  Again this is just me, and how I choose to travel, and it works for me because being dehydrated and hungover on a ship is the worst thing ever. Having the cartons ready to go in my stateroom when I arrive is just my insurance policy. At home I drink 64oz of water a day. On a 7 day cruise I drink 24 liters of water and it's $50 well spent, at least to me. Your mileage may vary. To each their own. Cheers

• Like 4