Should i pre-pay water before the cruise?

I don't remember exactly how expensive is the water package on board, i would need to buy the 24x1L bottle (gonna share with my parents) and those show as 59.94 pre-cruise (with 63% off... supposedly...).

I know on board you don't have taxes added in (only service charge), so i'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it pre-cruise or i should get the same price on board (without taxes)?

Any recent cruiser could tell me what's the onboard price for the 24x1L

Thanks

• Like 1

Why buy water?  You can get free water from any of the bars, the buffet, the restaurants.  Water in your bathroom is pure enough drink.  Bring a refillable water bottle with you.

• Like 7

We we're on the Encore last month and it was $49.95 for six 1L bottles, so definitely prepay if you want to go that way. 

That being said we brought two 1L Nalgene bottles and filled up whenever we could. Our ritual was stopping at the Observation lounge for a night cap and filling up our bottles on the way back to our room (being on the 12th deck forward made this a quick walk). The tap water in the bathroom is totally fine, just a bit warm. You can always get the steward to empty your mini fridge and keep self-filled water bottles in there. 

• Thanks 1

Our experience with buying water onboard wasn't that great. We bought one of the packages onboard at one of the bars. Didn't get delivered for 2 days so I contacted guest relations and it finally got delivered and the hotel directors secretary made that happen. Also we bought it only  once and were charged 6 times for it. Did finally get it straightened out again  with the HD secretary help.

2 hours ago, Sim1979 said:

I don't remember exactly how expensive is the water package on board, i would need to buy the 24x1L bottle (gonna share with my parents) and those show as 59.94 pre-cruise (with 63% off... supposedly...).

I know on board you don't have taxes added in (only service charge), so i'm wondering if it's worth it to buy it pre-cruise or i should get the same price on board (without taxes)?

Any recent cruiser could tell me what's the onboard price for the 24x1L

Thanks

Maybe it's me but I never understood buying water on the cruise ship. You do realize the same water that comes out of the tap is used to cook your meals and make your drinks at the bar.

Save the $60 to spend on something else

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Maybe it's me but I never understood buying water on the cruise ship. You do realize the same water that comes out of the tap is used to cook your meals and make your drinks at the bar.

Save the $60 to spend on something else

And if you compare NSF standards for bottled water to maritime vessel water standards, the ship's water is probably just as clean, if not cleaner. My wife is picky about her water, and she was quite happy with the tap water on the ship.

• Like 1

We always used to prepurchase water as we are big water drinkers.   Last year, after the NCL free water scandal, we just started bringing Yetis for our water and had no problem or issues filling them up.    

Note:   There really was no water scandal, however, those that were led to believe they were getting free water (us included) would know what I mean.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

We went back and forth about this same question for our recent breakaway sailing.  We decided to prepay for 12- 1L boxes of water.  We did it to have cold water in the room.  We didn't need more than 12.  When we were on deck during the day it was easy to get water.  We did bring a couple of stainless water bottles to take with us when we got off in port.  

Did we have to? No.  

Was it worth it?  I thought so.  We drink a lot of water.  It was nice to have a cold box to drink at the end of the day or first thing in the morning.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but isnt bottle water included in the beverage package?  (asked by someone who hasnt been on NCL in 25 years).   I may have assumed incorrectly as it is with all the other cruises i have done with packages.  

Edited by disgirl

1 minute ago, disgirl said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but isnt bottle water included in the beverage package?  (asked by someone who hasnt been on NCL in 25 years).   I may have assumed incorrectly as it is with all the other cruises i have done with packages.  

Nope...unless you upgrade the Unlimited Beverage Package Or Open Bar or whatever to Premium Plus. 

1 hour ago, corley05 said:

We went back and forth about this same question for our recent breakaway sailing.  We decided to prepay for 12- 1L boxes of water.  We did it to have cold water in the room.  We didn't need more than 12.  When we were on deck during the day it was easy to get water.  We did bring a couple of stainless water bottles to take with us when we got off in port.  

Did we have to? No.  

Was it worth it?  I thought so.  We drink a lot of water.  It was nice to have a cold box to drink at the end of the day or first thing in the morning.  

You can ask your steward for a pitcher of ice water.  Much cheaper.

If you pre-order one of the water packages, you can just buy one package, correct?  It isn't required for both people in the room to each purchase one (like some of the other add-ons require)?

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

You can ask your steward for a pitcher of ice water.  Much cheaper.

I only saw my steward once.  He was nice but I couldn't get him to do anything for me.  I would call and call and call and no answer.  There was no way for me to get them to bring me water.  Now I got carafes of water all day in the vibe beach club.  

Sadly, the service in the regular rooms has decreased.  Its not bad, it's just not as good as it used to be.  

3 minutes ago, Winterstar9 said:

If you pre-order one of the water packages, you can just buy one package, correct?  It isn't required for both people in the room to each purchase one (like some of the other add-ons require)?

Correct, because it's not an unlimited water package (which would be subject to abuse like the bar package prior to FAS if only one person in the cabin got it but the other didn't).  You are buying a specific number of bottles.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, corley05 said:

I only saw my steward once.  He was nice but I couldn't get him to do anything for me.  I would call and call and call and no answer.  There was no way for me to get them to bring me water.  Now I got carafes of water all day in the vibe beach club.  

Sadly, the service in the regular rooms has decreased.  Its not bad, it's just not as good as it used to be.  

So, you don't need to buy water?

• Haha 1

I see people here telling OP to bring water bottles and fill from the buffet, bar or tap.  That wasn't his question.  His question was whether he should buy the water in advance or wait to buy once onboard, and if it makes a difference.

Some people don't like the idea of drinking tap water, they want to have their bottled/boxed water.  To each their own.  I'm fine with the water from the buffet but even though it's the same water, I can't bring myself to drink from the tap in my cabin.  No idea if my cabin steward is cleaning the cabinets/counters/toilet with a cleaning rag and then using the same rag to clean the sink spout.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Nope...unless you upgrade the Unlimited Beverage Package Or Open Bar or whatever to Premium Plus. 

Duly noted!  Thanks.  Princess and Celebrity which I have cruise with 16 times do include it so I just assumed everyone did.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, disgirl said:

It is included in the premium plus (along with sparkling water) ooops- sorry, too slow on the reply. Sorry to double post. 

Edited by DraesMiran
Question already answered.

2 hours ago, disgirl said:

No it isn’t and I find that ridiculous. If you have the drink package on Princess or Celebrity water IS included. NCL should take note and also include it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being diamond they give use 4 boxes of water. The water on the ship is the same filtered water bring my yeti up to buffet and fill to take off ship. Ask cabin steward for ice. Tap water just fine. Save money for something else

6 hours ago, blackwing said:

I see people here telling OP to bring water bottles and fill from the buffet, bar or tap.  That wasn't his question.  His question was whether he should buy the water in advance or wait to buy once onboard, and if it makes a difference.

Some people don't like the idea of drinking tap water, they want to have their bottled/boxed water.  To each their own.  I'm fine with the water from the buffet but even though it's the same water, I can't bring myself to drink from the tap in my cabin.  No idea if my cabin steward is cleaning the cabinets/counters/toilet with a cleaning rag and then using the same rag to clean the sink spout.

That's easy enough to solve....just turn the hot water on and rinse the spout off a few times...done! 

You can get free water cartons depending on your drinks package.  We had a premium dinks package and we used to get the cartons free