Noordam’s Morimoto by the Sea

Posted (edited)

We will be cruising Alaska on Noordam in June.  I just checked to see if I could change a booking for dinner in the Pinnacle and discovered the addition of the Morimoto by Sea venue for dinner.  I absolutely do not recall in various visits to book seeing thing venue and don’t know how I could have missed it.  Anyway the only day it was available for reservations was on the day we are cruising College Fjords and there was a 7:30 time available.  We have not cruised Alaska before but noticed the time frame for College Fjords is 5Pm-8PM.  Would we miss viewing opportunity or something else if we reserved a dinner for 7:30 and any comments on the Morimoto restaurant?  

Edited by Gogirlvet

• Gogirlvet changed the title to Noordam’s Morimoto by the Sea
Posted (edited)

Many (but not all) of the tables in Noordam's Pinnacle Grill are next to large windows.  The view would be great.  On our New Zealand cruise, we booked the PG during our cruising of Milford Sound for this reason.  Unfortunately, I came down with COVID and we had to cancel the reservation.  (The Sound still looked great from our balcony.)

The Morimoto pop-up wasn't available on our most recent Noordam cruise so I can't comment on that.

Edited by sciencewonk

1 hour ago, sciencewonk said:

The Morimoto pop-up wasn't available on our most recent Noordam cruise so I can't comment on that.

I had not heard of pop-up restaurant venues.  But then we have not cruised since before COVID.  It’s kind of like a maiden voyage.  Haha. I mainly didn’t know if the viewing of Fjords should be from our balcony or on deck vs. in a restaurant.  The PG reservations is for another night.  Thanks for your replies.

We are sailing on Noordam for 2 weeks in May/June. Morimoto pop-up is held in the Pinnacle Grill twice on our cruise. For us it is on the Glacier Bay and then Juneau days. 

FYI I noticed yesterday that the Seafood Boil dinner has also become available to pre-book, held in the Lido on Skagway days.

I imagine that sunset is late on your June Alaska cruise.  I would not chance not having a view just to experience the Pinnacle or Morimoto.   We can always eat at nice venues but we cannot always experience amazing views.  There have been comments re Morimoto recently on this forum but I do not remember which thread.  On our 21 day Oosterdam cruise in January there was always a Morimoto entree offered in all restaurants.  Because of negative reviews we did not opt for this but it was not a pop up so the entire menu was not available.  Enjoy your cruise.  Cherie

Posted (edited)

A June sailing may not allow you to get that close to Harvard glacier, which is the biggest glacier located at the end of the College Fjord. That would be due to presence of ice and I think seal breeding. You probably would get to the closest view point possible before 730 PM so I say go for it with your reservation. Also, there is a 100% chance you will be dry inside the Pinnacle Grill but a much lower chance than that for outside viewing conditions. In August, the ship can get closer to the glacier to the point of photos not doing justice to how huge Harvard Glacier is to the naked eye. While not as large as Hubbard glacier, it just looks bigger because you are able to get closer to it.

Harvard Glacier Photo from August 2023

Edited by vicd1969
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

A June sailing may not allow you to get that close to Harvard glacier, which is the biggest glacier located at the end of the College Fjord. That would be due to presence of ice and I think seal breeding. You probably would get to the closest view point possible before 730 PM so I say go for it with your reservation. Also, there is a 100% chance you will be dry inside the Pinnacle Grill but a much lower chance than that for outside viewing conditions. In August, the ship can get closer to the glacier to the point of photos not doing justice to how huge Harvard Glacier is to the naked eye. While not as large as Hubbard glacier, it just looks bigger because you are able to get closer to it.

Harvard Glacier Photo from August 2023

Wow!  Incredible pictures.  Thanks for the clarity on timing of glacier viewing.  It’s a huge help.