Showing up early or late for dining reservation

My experience has not been like others are saying here. I generally always try to get an early reservation, usually 6:30, we generally show up by 6:25 and are seated by 6:32 or so. I just don't see these long lines, or at best it's a 5 minute wait. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DoulaAnn said:

I can see your point, but, again, being there at 6:40 does not make you late in this instance.

It seems to me that if you have a reservation at 6:30 and you show up at 6:40 you are 10 minutes late.  I cannot wrap my head around how 10 minutes past any reservation time, for anything, is not late.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mb777 said:

It seems to me that if you have a reservation at 6:30 and you show up at 6:40 you are 10 minutes late.  I cannot wrap my head around how 10 minutes past any reservation time, for anything, is not late.

Purely a matter of schematics. ORV states he has rarely stood in line more than two minutes. Let me otherwise explain the math to you. Oceania typically does about 60 people , or 30 couples, at that 6:30 seating. In ORV’s case that would be 120 seconds for thirty couples or about 4 seconds each per couple. For most of us arriving timely, we aren’t processed in 4 seconds. It takes a bit for entering our room number and waiting for staff to seat the early arrivals and rotate back to pick up the next wave. The process is clean and efficient, but for those of us arriving promptly at 6:30, it’s not a two minute drill. Those arriving at 6:35 or 6:40 may well be seated nearly the same time as those of us arriving promptly. 

As a case in point for those starving souls sharing tables. Depending upon actual activity for the night, your table mates may well have arrived on time (6:30), but not seated for another 5-10 minutes. One’s decision to arrive early May or may not get tone faster service depending upon seatings for that evening.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:51 PM, pinotlover said:

Purely a matter of schematics. ORV states he has rarely stood in line more than two minutes. Let me otherwise explain the math to you. Oceania typically does about 60 people , or 30 couples, at that 6:30 seating. In ORV’s case that would be 120 seconds for thirty couples or about 4 seconds each per couple. For most of us arriving timely, we aren’t processed in 4 seconds. It takes a bit for entering our room number and waiting for staff to seat the early arrivals and rotate back to pick up the next wave. The process is clean and efficient, but for those of us arriving promptly at 6:30, it’s not a two minute drill. Those arriving at 6:35 or 6:40 may well be seated nearly the same time as those of us arriving promptly. 

As a case in point for those starving souls sharing tables. Depending upon actual activity for the night, your table mates may well have arrived on time (6:30), but not seated for another 5-10 minutes. One’s decision to arrive early May or may not get tone faster service depending upon seatings for that evening.

Thanks for the arithmetic lesson. however, I think you may be using fuzzy marh.

6:30 reservation plus :10 = 6:40 = late = rude, 100% of the time, no matter how you want to justify this behavior.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mb777 said:

Thanks for the arithmetic lesson. however, I think you may be using fuzzy marh.

6:30 reservation plus :10 = 6:40 = late = rude, 100% of the time, no matter how you want to justify this behavior.

I can understand your position fully. Do likewise find the people with 1:00 and later boarding times that show up at 11:00 , or before, as being equally rude?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mb777 said:

At the very least impolite. One's decision to be late is their own, right?

Guess this horse has been beaten to near death. As a former Army officer, “being at the appointed place of duty at the appointed time “ is firmly ingrained so we show up on time. However, it all suffers from “ Hurry Up and Wait”. People getting there at 6:40 to have a very short line versus those at 6:30 standing in a longer line aren’t really late. If everyone shows up at 6:30 or before, seating will not happen any quicker. It would just create a larger mob at 6:30. However, just like Boardamania, some enjoy lines as social time. 

On 4/19/2024 at 7:40 AM, pinotlover said:

I can understand your position fully. Do likewise find the people with 1:00 and later boarding times that show up at 11:00 , or before, as being equally rude?

Yes I do, exactly the same rudeness and reflects the "all about me" attitude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1