Showing up early or late for dining reservation

I think it depends on staffing, but being late-that would mess up the timing they planned to turn that table. Also if you're going to be late for a very good reason, call and explain I'm sure they would try to make it work-but if they can't-hope you understand and move on........

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:50 AM, ORV said:

Just to throw another idea in here. If you are sharing a table in the Specialties being late is rude and inconsiderate. I'm sure the OP is talking about dining by yourself. Just wanted to separate the two things. 

My OH and I booked in the Speciality restaurant and agreed to share a table. We arrived on time but we were not allowed to order our meal until the other couple arrived. After 15 minutes I complained to the M'd that we did not even know the other people they were not friends  and we were not prepared to wait for them. He agreed and took their settings away. To my knowledge, they never did show up. My point is to confirm what ORV has said - it's rude not to show up.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In Feb on Riveria, we were a few minutes late for a sharing table.  When we sat down I asked the husband how his day was.  He said it was good until he had to wait for us.  I looked at my watch and it was 6:33.  The doors opened at 6:30 and they had to check in and walk to the table at the rear of Toscana.  I figured the most they had to wait was 90 seconds.  

Later in the meal, we learned he was a retired mathematician, maybe a bit on the spectrum.  He told us of his terrible divorce and how he made sure that did not happen again by purchasing his current wife of 20 plus years from China.  He said he knew she was of “good stock” as he had worked on a project with her cousin, mind you, she was sitting right next to him during the entire conversation.  

We almost always meet wonderful people with sharing tables.  That time, it was an adventure……

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

In Feb on Riveria, we were a few minutes late for a sharing table.  When we sat down I asked the husband how his day was.  He said it was good until he had to wait for us.  I looked at my watch and it was 6:33.  The doors opened at 6:30 and they had to check in and walk to the table at the rear of Toscana.  I figured the most they had to wait was 90 seconds.  

Later in the meal, we learned he was a retired mathematician, maybe a bit on the spectrum.  He told us of his terrible divorce and how he made sure that did not happen again by purchasing his current wife of 20 plus years from China.  He said he knew she was of “good stock” as he had worked on a project with her cousin, mind you, she was sitting right next to him during the entire conversation.  

We almost always meet wonderful people with sharing tables.  That time, it was an adventure……

Speechless. I'm afraid I would have left the table at that point. Whew.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Vallesan said:

It is!

I recently saw a post that wrote "waiter/waitress." How about "server"? I've even gotten pretty good with "they/them." LOL

1 hour ago, clo said:

I recently saw a post that wrote "waiter/waitress." How about "server"? I've even gotten pretty good with "they/them." LOL

Do not get this retired English teacher started on "they/them." 😝

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

On 4/6/2024 at 5:55 PM, clo said:

I've said many times, if I'm on time I feel like I'm late.

Only time that isn't applicable is a 6:30 reservation, since the restaurants don't open until 6:30. We've found going around 6:40 or so makes the line shorter (not necessarily short).

4 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

Only time that isn't applicable is a 6:30 reservation, since the restaurants don't open until 6:30. We've found going around 6:40 or so makes the line shorter (not necessarily short).

I don't think being late for ANYTHING is okay 🙂

• Like 2

We are never “on time”.  We like to arrive 10-15 minutes before appointments or dinner reservations.  Showing up late shows a distinct lack of respect for the other persons time and is rude.  JMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ORV said:

DOH! and here I was thinking it meant Old Husband. 

I had no clue which is why I asked.  I find it tough to keep up with all the abbreviations used, and don't understand the point when there doesn't seem to be a character limit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only time we were ever late for a dining reservation on a cruise is when the tour we were on came back late.  In that instance, nearly all tours were late; when we showed up at the restaurant, we weren't sure they would accommodate us, but the restaurant was basically empty, so we were able to get a table.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, clo said:

I don't think being late for ANYTHING is okay 🙂

I agree with you. But arriving at the first reservation time means you are still being seated with everyone who has 6:30 reservations. Arriving at 6:45 or 6:50 would be actually late, but 6:40 is on time. Early is no advantage.

6 hours ago, miscstuff1 said:

The only time we were ever late for a dining reservation on a cruise is when the tour we were on came back late.  In that instance, nearly all tours were late; when we showed up at the restaurant, we weren't sure they would accommodate us, but the restaurant was basically empty, so we were able to get a table.

When tours have been late coming back, they definitely give some leeway for reservations. We have tried just walking in (it works many times) and have been told in the above situation that they aren't taking walk-ins since people will be coming in late and they don't know how many are coming.

On 4/7/2024 at 3:03 PM, Kay S said:

You and my husband.  We are never late for our reservation.

Mija, if you show up on time, you're entirely too early and may find your host still in the shower.  smh...

All kidding aside, we've shown up early and late and the staff has always been accommodating.  If early, we assure them we know we're early and have no problem with waiting for a table.  If we're late, we apologize and - once again - assure them that we have no problem with waiting for a table if one becomes available.  The 1st scenario has happened several times; the 2nd, only once.

5 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, sorry, not advantage. Good manners 🙂

No necessarily. Going from Horizons to our cabin, we often stroll across the outside walkway on deck 14 and down the aft stairs to our cabin. We are often amazed at the starving souls lined up by 6:15 at the Specialties. The purpose of being so early is what? A two top or sharing is predetermined. The doors open at 6:30. One can arrive at 6:40 and still stand in line. It’s like mini Boardamania . While we do always attempt to arrive at the specified time, it typically means standing in line, especially for the 6:30 dining time. While we have never been hungry, at any time, on an Oceania cruise, all those lining up so early must have different experiences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We are often amazed at the starving souls lined up by 6:15 at the Specialties. The purpose of being so early is what? A two top or sharing is predetermined. The doors open at 6:30. One can arrive at 6:40 and still stand in line. It’s like mini Boardamania . While we do always attempt to arrive at the specified time, it typically means standing in line, especially for the 6:30 dining time. While we have never been hungry, at any time, on an Oceania cruise, all those lining up so early must have different experiences.

For individuals with mobility problems who need to use an elevator, getting to the speciality restaurants before 6:30 is being polite to other cruisers.  With only 2 elevators aft, getting space on an elevator with a walker or scooter at prime meal time is an issue.  Perhaps people are waiting in line not because they are hungry, but because they are being thoughtful and don't want to inconvenience others.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

While we have never been hungry, at any time, on an Oceania cruise, all those lining up so early must have different experiences.

Actually, yes.  Some of us not only have a 2-top reserved at 6:30, but we want to sit in a particular out-of-the-mainstream location (e.g., all the way aft and around the corner on R ships).  We're not the only ones who prefer not to be in the middle of foot traffic, etc., so we like to be among the very first in the door.  

Also, happy hour ends at 6:00 so we're finished with our drinks by 6:15.  Not gonna go back to the room, so why not head over to the specialty and join the starving souls outside the door?  We've been sitting -- and we're gonna be sitting some more -- so standing up for a few minutes gets the blood flowing again and lets some of the alcohol process before ordering a nice bottle of wine.  Besides, some of those souls are kinda nice to talk to.  

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

Actually, yes.  Some of us not only have a 2-top reserved at 6:30, but we want to sit in a particular out-of-the-mainstream location (e.g., all the way aft and around the corner on R ships).  We're not the only ones who prefer not to be in the middle of foot traffic, etc., so we like to be among the very first in the door.  

Also, happy hour ends at 6:00 so we're finished with our drinks by 6:15.  Not gonna go back to the room, so why not head over to the specialty and join the starving souls outside the door?  We've been sitting -- and we're gonna be sitting some more -- so standing up for a few minutes gets the blood flowing again and lets some of the alcohol process before ordering a nice bottle of wine.  Besides, some of those souls are kinda nice to talk to.  

I can see your point, but, again, being there at 6:40 does not make you late in this instance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, DoulaAnn said:

I can see your point, but, again, being there at 6:40 does not make you late in this instance.

Bingo!! Kinda hard for people to claim you’re late at 6:40 when you still have to stand in line to get in. Being a part of a party of eight at a private home is one thing, while being two in a group of 50+ is another. I unfortunately witnessed Boardamania again on my last cruise. I’ll allow others to enjoy the pleasantries of lines.

I will add however that one should show up by 6:40, otherwise they’ll be in line behind those with 7:00 reservations that show up early!😂

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2