Farewell Princess - No Trust in Accommodating Dietary Needs

iankh

20 hours ago, HotRoot said:

And my comments on low salt - We are on a 33 night cruise.  On a shorter cruise, we just eat the salt and take water pills.  This would not work for 33 nights.  We did request "no added salt".  We order the night before.  But, their idea of no added salt is no cheese, sauce, mashed potatoes, spices of any kind.  Each meal we get a protein, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  Each meal looks and tastes the same.  We have crossed the Princess World Cruise off our list.  We could not eat like this for over 100 days.  Also, every fish dish has been over cooked.

We have done a 140 night cruise on another line.  We ate the same food as everybody else.  They just took the time to make the sauce, soups, mashed potatoes especially for us and the rest of the low salt group with NO ADDED SALT.

Good news is - we are losing weight!

I totally sympathise.

I used to need a low salt diet for a medical reason.  I used to mainly cruise with P&O, and on my first 'low salt' cruise with them, they did a brilliant job, and cooked everything to order without the salt.  I was thrilled, as I'd had a trying year with my illness and it made me feel 'normal' again.

However, on subsequent cruises with them, I had the same experience that you are having.  Very bland and plain food.  I found it very stressful, as I constantly had to keep explaining to them what I wanted, and occasionally they'd manage to do a nice curry for me, but the next night it was back to the plain fish or meat with steamed vegetables.

I was fortunate, as my illness improved, and the need for a low salt diet was no longer a necessity, but the whole experience had a negative impact on the cruises affected.

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I totally sympathise.

I used to need a low salt diet for a medical reason.  I used to mainly cruise with P&O, and on my first 'low salt' cruise with them, they did a brilliant job, and cooked everything to order without the salt.  I was thrilled, as I'd had a trying year with my illness and it made me feel 'normal' again.

However, on subsequent cruises with them, I had the same experience that you are having.  Very bland and plain food.  I found it very stressful, as I constantly had to keep explaining to them what I wanted, and occasionally they'd manage to do a nice curry for me, but the next night it was back to the plain fish or meat with steamed vegetables.

I was fortunate, as my illness improved, and the need for a low salt diet was no longer a necessity, but the whole experience had a negative impact on the cruises affected.

I suppose it’s possible to bring a shaker or two of salt-free seasoning mix onboard.  You shouldn’t have to, but it might make the difference between bland and tasty.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 4:59 PM, dickinson said:

May I ask why send an email and then at the MDR let them know about the allergies?  What is the purpose of the email?  Could one just let the MDR know on the first night?  I am asking because I will travel with someone who can not eat dairy.  Thanks.

1) It allows the cruise line to plan for how many people will be sailing with special dietary needs. 2) When I've added the info to my account (used to be email, now I used the web version of the app to add the info to my reservation), it is in the computer system and easier for the busy people in the dining room to look something up than try and enter all of the information into the system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/21/2024 at 10:15 AM, Dermotsgirl said:

What if your dietary requirement isn't there, such as low salt ?

The web version of the app has an "other" box that can be filled in.  That is where I put my citrus and rolled oats allergies because they are too abnormal to show up on anyone's lists.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:54 PM, alwalaska said:

The web version of the app has an "other" box that can be filled in.  That is where I put my citrus and rolled oats allergies because they are too abnormal to show up on anyone's lists.

I just happened upon this page on Princess.com Personalizer.  I’ve done it before but thought it was moved to the app.  

Login

Check in

Dietary Requests

…Distilled water

…Low salt

i don’t see a place to write specific allergies.

9 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just happened upon this page on Princess.com Personalizer.  I’ve done it before but thought it was moved to the app.  

Login

Check in

Dietary Requests

…Distilled water

…Low salt

i don’t see a place to write specific allergies.

I'm having a hard time with the website today.  I will try again and point you to where I added my allergies if I can find it again.  I can't even get to the dietary requests section today.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

I'm having a hard time with the website today.  I will try again and point you to where I added my allergies if I can find it again.  I can't even get to the dietary requests section today.

Don't get too stressed.  I don't need it, but it would be helpful to others.

• Thanks 1