Oosterdam, 10th Floor, Port Side, What is the room in front of cabin #10002?

Hello;

I am looking on the Oosterdam deck plans.

On Deck #10, there is a room without a door, forward of cabin #10002.

In the diagram it shows a wheelchair and some short lines that look like it could describe stairs/steps.

Question:  What is that room forward of cabin #10002?

How often often used?

Is there a library wall of book that would be on the wall adjoining to cabin #10002?

If you have, it would be nice to see a picture of that room forward that is sharing a common wall with cabin #10002,  

Also, considering cabin #'s 10002 and 10004, can you tell me if the bed is closer to the verandah windows or is the sofa closer to the verandah windows?

Happy sailing to everybody.

Many Thanks,

Ruth.

4 minutes ago, Imnotyou3 said:

In the diagram it shows a wheelchair and some short lines that look like it could describe stairs/steps.

It is a stairwell to the Retreat above. I do not know what the handicap symbol represents. Maybe a special elevator just big enough for a wheelchair? it's not a very big space!

All of the Verandahs on the Observation Deck have the sofa near the balcony. For 10002 the head of the bed and the back of the sofa are to your left as you come in the room and for 10004, to your right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Imnotyou3 said:

Also, considering cabin #'s 10002 and 10004, can you tell me if the bed is closer to the verandah windows or is the sofa closer to the verandah windows?

FWIW, all of the Verandahs on the Observation Deck are Quads, with a pull out sofa and a drop down bunk. My PCC told me with HAL's newly instituted policy of filling all rooms to capacity, that if I booked one for the two of us, and a "family" wanted it, I could be bumped from the cabin! And at that time the selection of rooms rated as doubles (on other decks) might be picked over. I blinked and booked on the Navigation Deck, forward.

To crystalspin;

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

That is exactly what I needed to hear. 

Thank you for describing the rooms, of which orientation the bed and sofa is.

I can put up with a lot, but I dislike a sofa closer to the entrance door and the bed next to the glass verandah doors.

Thank you for confirming to me that both rooms #10002 and 10004 and in fact, that all cabins on the 10th floor, have the bed closer to the entrance door and the sofa closer to the verandah.

That is very good to know.

Again crystalspin, thank you for your very detailed and useful information.   

Happy sailing to you.

Sincerely,

Ruth 

2 hours ago, Imnotyou3 said:

I googled and found a CC thread about Retreat access (it happens to be about the sister ship Zuiderdam), which is here:

Retreat elevator on Zuiderdam - Holland America Line - Cruise Critic Community

And indeed, the wheelchair sign does show a small elevator!

Hello crystalspin;

WOW, you are dedicated and fantastic!

Thank you for finding that thread that explains what that little room is forward of cabin #10002 and for the one post where they uploaded 3 pictures to show what that little room is, of a small elevator and stairs.

You are a real sleuth and very knowledgeable about how to get around on C.C.

Crystalspin, consider yourself to have your back patted for your dedicated work and information that you provided to me.

VERY MUCH appreciated.

This afternoon I joined cruisedeckplans.com so I will be posting pictures from my previous cruises and from future cruises on this website.

Best wishes and High Seas to you.

Sincerely,

Ruth    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Imnotyou3 said:

This afternoon I joined cruisedeckplans.com

Excellent! If you bring up the Zuiderdam deckplans, deck 10, you can click the little twinkling camera on the stairs forward of 10002; that is how I was originally able to tell you what it was, and why I searched for "Zuiderdam Retreat Stairs". 

I have a personal history in science. databases, and technical writing. Or as I like to say: "I solve problems." 

• Like 1

Those are the stairs. I am on Oosterdam and walked by them this morning getting coffee from the crow's nest. I've never seen a passenger exiting the stairs but the crew seems to use them fairly often, I've at least twice had to dodge a crew member exiting with momentum. There is as I recall, an elevator limited to three people there but I don't think it's where the handicap symbol is, but close to the elevator lobby.

This is the stairwell I saw this morning on the Oosterdam between the small highway where rooms 10002 and 10004 are and the Crows Nest entrance are on the right hand side if you are facing forward. 

area on 10th floor.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Ready2go11;

Thank you VERY much for taking this picture for me and posting it here, on C.C.

At least the steps are covered with a carpet which helps to absorb the sound of feet walking on the steps.

A picture speaks a thousand words and this picture does for me.

Again, Thank You Very Much for taking this picture and posting it. 

Yikes, but not surprising on the term that you described the area in front of 10002 and 10004 as being a "...small highway...".

Oh well, but thank you for the warning. 

On a prior cruise to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam we stayed on the most aft room in the short hallway from the Observation/Crowsnest.

As yet, that position is our absolute most favorite location for a cabin, but it would only be sheer luck to be able to get that position room again.

We like being on the same floor as the Observation/Crowsnest, so I guess the cost of convenience for my husband to get a well made Americano coffee early in the morning, will be that we have to live along a "small highway".       

In the future we will have to book *even further* in advance to be on the same floor as the Observation/Crowsnest floor, but further after of the elevators.

Happy sailing the high Atlantic seas to you, Ready2go11.

Sincerely,

Ruth

17 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Those are the stairs. I am on Oosterdam and walked by them this morning getting coffee from the crow's nest. I've never seen a passenger exiting the stairs but the crew seems to use them fairly often, I've at least twice had to dodge a crew member exiting with momentum. There is as I recall, an elevator limited to three people there but I don't think it's where the handicap symbol is, but close to the elevator lobby.

Since COVID, the crew outdoor area is above the Crows Nest. Those stairs give access to both The Retreat in one direction and the crew smoking area in the other. That’s why you so often see crew on them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Imnotyou3 said:

Yikes, but not surprising on the term that you described the area in front of 10002 and 10004 as being a "...small highway...".

Oh well, but thank you for the warning. 

just to clarify, “highway” was a typo for hallway but perhaps Siri knew better than me!  Although inset into the hallway where the cabins are in that area, Room10002 can be seen from the path everyone takes from one side of the Crows Nest to the stairs and elevator. Good news is no one hangs out there, they just pass through and that bar/coffee shop closes at 10pm so traffic will abate fairly early. 

enjoy your cruise and proximity to coffee!

• Haha 1