Some thoughts from an old-timer: Now I see why first-timers are saying they're "terrified", "overwhelmed", "panic-stricken"

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

But, how do you know if you need a filter if you don't know anything about what you are reading?

Common sense? I mean reading that food isn't included on a cruise, I wouldn't just say "Oh, no, I didn't know that." I would assume the poster was confused.

I've learned a lot from these boards and I think lots of people can say the same.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We all must be diligent of what we read on any online platform today.

I have witnessed quite a few first time cruisers get some good information here on CC, but of course it is subjective to the person providing the guidance.

Your impression may be different than mine, and sometimes someone rushes to post an answer that may not be completely true....

But, how do you know if you need a filter if you don't know anything about what you are reading?

The answer to your last question is your opening sentence!

I agree about there being a lot of good info on these forums and should be careful to not downplay that.  

We think the OP's post is brilliant and touches on a subject we have not seen here on CC.  I started my world travel life back in 1967 (thanks to the USAF) and my first cruise was in the early 70s.  In those days, once you decided (with the help of a travel agent) which cruise, you just went along with program with few decisions (i.e. early or late seating).  

Now, after more than 50 years of extensive cruising and DIY world travel, most travel-related issues are pretty easy....for me!  But when we chat with other cruises (many of whom also have decades of travel under their belt) I realize that we are not the norm for most Americans.  For us, renting a car in Europe and just driving (we recently drove through Slovenia, Austria, and Italy...after a cruise) is not any more difficult than renting a car near home.  But others tell me they are reluctant to do anything on their own, worry about language barriers, have no clue about driving rules in other countries, etc.

On cruises there are now many dining options (some ships have more than a dozen restaurants), multiple entertainment venues, etc.  As a long time CC contributor (from the first days of CC) I am biased and think this site is one of the best places to get the info necessary to deal with cruise lines and even some DIY travel.  I do think younger folks are truly blessed to have so many options, but also realize (partially because of the OP's post) that the travel/cruise world can be intimidating to many folks.  I also think that the mass market cruise lines have made a science out of using these self-doubts as a lever to get folks to spend money where there is little/no need.  Such is life in the 21st century.

Hank

• Like 1

I should mention that most of the misinformation I read is on "another site" rather than CC....but it is very popular, and followed by millions rather than thousands.  I always said I would never take part in that site, but I got sucked in by becoming aware of some truly bad information, and took on the role of teacher/advisor.  Now I can't stop.

The big problem with internet website forums with topics such as cruising is that not every contributor is genuine.  People post information which they know is not true disingenuously and others have heard what a friend of a friend said about a specific aspect of cruising.  Others have heard things which were true many years ago but no longer happen.

Regards John

17 hours ago, john watson said:

The big problem with internet website forums with topics such as cruising is that not every contributor is genuine.  People post information which they know is not true disingenuously and others have heard what a friend of a friend said about a specific aspect of cruising.  Others have heard things which were true many years ago but no longer happen.

Regards John

It is kind of sad to think someone needs to intentionally mislead.  I'm sure many folks, myself included, have unintentionally provided bad info.  Especially with those hearsay type things that seem to take on a life of their own.   

46 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It is kind of sad to think someone needs to intentionally mislead.  I'm sure many folks, myself included, have unintentionally provided bad info.  Especially with those hearsay type things that seem to take on a life of their own.   

I see a lot of those hearsay things.

And then there are those who reply to "I'm so excited; I just booked a cruise on XYZ" by saying "That was stupid; that's the worst ship in the fleet!"  Some people are just mean.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

There is no shame in posting things you genuinely believe to be accurate, correct and still applies today. Whenever you glean information on Cruise Critic you should always realise it is the posters opinion. Anyone should exercise common sense in assessing whether it is true and the only overall authority in most cases is the actual cruise line.

Regards John

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

And then there are those who reply to "I'm so excited; I just booked a cruise on XYZ" by saying "That was stupid; that's the worst ship in the fleet!"  Some people are just mean.

Yes, there is entirely too much of that.  

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

When reading this type of post a sensible person will ask themselves; What experience has the respondent had in respect of that cruise line.  I am thinking, to be the worst ship in the fleet one would have needed to sail on every XYZ line vessel to come to this conclusion.  Why has the guy persevered with all the ships on such a line? In addition any assessment of a ship is subjective and how has one assessed this particular ship.  It might be that breakfast in the MDR finishes at 9 am thus ruining one guys cruise but irrelevant to 99% of all other cruisers.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Just a friendly reminder to all reading the boards...

Please remember, since Cruise Critic does not review messages before they are posted and cannot read through the thousands of messages posted each day, we depend on all our fellow Cruise Critic members for help.

As stated in the Guidelines"We encourage you to utilize the reporting system built into the board system; you'll find a Report a Post icon located in the upper right hand corner of the posting. Use it! We will review the report and take appropriate action."

If you see any posts or threads on any Cruise Critic message board forums that are off topic, on the wrong forum, violate the Guidelines or contain blatant incorrect information, then just click the ellipsis (the three dots next to the post number) for options. A list will appear. Click Report so the Report post screen will open. If it is a whole thread that needs to be reported, click the ellipsis on the first post in the thread for the Report post screen to open.

You will see a list for Why do you want to report this? If your reason is one of the reasons listed, click the radio button next to the reason. If it is not listed, just type your message about the problem post or thread into the Report post text box where it says, "Optionally enter a message with your report." When done with your message, click Submit Report. Your part is done at that point. Please do not quote or reply to the reported post or thread. Your quote or reply post as well as any other posts or quotes concerning the reported post will be removed from sight along with the reported post.

User Reported Content list of reports is generated for review to all Hosts and Administrators. The reports will automatically show the important information they MUST have such as the forum name, thread title or specific post in addition to your message.

The Hosts or Administrators will review your Report post report when they can. I say "when they can" because all e-mails and Report post reports to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. With almost two million members and some sending e-mails and reports 24/7 from all over the world, please be patient for any action. Also, please remember the Hosts are non-paid volunteers that work the boards when their real life permits. Most paid Administrators work regular weekday business hours and do have holiday, vacation and sick days.

I hope this information will be helpful if anyone feels a post or thread needs to be brought to our attention. 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, john watson said:

There is no shame in posting things you genuinely believe to be accurate, correct and still applies today. Whenever you glean information on Cruise Critic you should always realise it is the posters opinion. Anyone should exercise common sense in assessing whether it is true and the only overall authority in most cases is the actual cruise line.

Regards John

I am certainly more careful now because I have in the past posted something that I "believed" to be true, but then was corrected by others.  

Now when I do post I will often add, if appropriate, "this is my opinion" or "in my opinion" because your personal opinion is not always the same as fact.

Although I never intended to post something that was not true, I am grateful to those on CC that have more experience and are also skilled at politely correcting you with the correct information.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, john watson said:

When reading this type of post a sensible person will ask themselves; What experience has the respondent had in respect of that cruise line.  I am thinking, to be the worst ship in the fleet one would have needed to sail on every XYZ line vessel to come to this conclusion.  Why has the guy persevered with all the ships on such a line? In addition any assessment of a ship is subjective and how has one assessed this particular ship.  It might be that breakfast in the MDR finishes at 9 am thus ruining one guys cruise but irrelevant to 99% of all other cruisers.

Regards John

I think some posters also jump on the bandwagon.  One person says ship XYZ is terrible.  All of the sudden, many people are saying avoid ship XYZ. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think some posters also jump on the bandwagon.  One person says ship XYZ is terrible.  All of the sudden, many people are saying avoid ship XYZ. 

Yes, "bandwagons" are a thing for sure!

• Like 1