Solis Experience on Quest

Ceepot

Names maybe even photos (not sure) are on the tablets used by the Restaurant and Solis staff, they link your suite number to the table so they have the data on allergies and other preferences.

Thanks for the review.  Ever since the Covid restart, we noticed that SB had hired quite a few new staff (on our various cruises), some of whom had yet to adjust to the SB way of doing things.  When asked about SB, we used to say that the staff/crew does not have the word "no" in their vocabulary.  Unfortunately, for the OP, this did not seem to be the case with the server they first encountered in Solis.  Tis a real shame and we sure hope that the management team quickly imposes some attitude changes where necessary.  

While we have seldom had any complaints on our SB cruises, if a server told DW that she could not order two starters (in place of a starter and main) I think the issue would quickly get elevated to the restaurant manager.  That is just not acceptable on SB (or other lines).  On SB we expect to hear, "no problem" or "we will do our best."  

I will add that we have also been cruising on other lines (in the past two years) including Explora Journeys, Oceania, HAL and Princess.  Every line seems to be having some "issues" with new hires.  One senior manager on O told us that, one result of the Covid shutdown, has been that too many experienced staff/crew moved on to other careers.  We also found it interesting that the new Explora Journeys line (a higher end luxury product) hired about 80% of staff (for their first ship) that had never worked on any cruise line.  It was explained that the new line sought very experienced staff from top hotels,restuarants, and resorts generally located in the middle east (often from Dubai).  The reason was they wanted staff that understood how to deliver quality and thought that more important than previous cruise ship experience.  To some degree they have suceeded, but there are also some rough edges that we think was due to the inexperience of staff working on ships.

Hank

• Like 1

Seabourn did - if no longer? - have a policy of employing staff, particularly for the restaurants,  bar staff  and suite attendants, of finding young people who already had experience in top class hotels,  bars and restaurants.  Certainly I have met quite a few over the years, and they were usually excellent after just a short amount of training.

Lincslady,

When are you taking your next Seabourn cruise?

From reading your posts it would appear you have not sailed for a long time. Meanwhile the nature of the industry has changed dramatically.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

Who knows, Markham.  It is certainly a few years since my last one  - probably 2019, but I am pretty au fait with the present staffing problems on most lines, and have indeed posted about it, and what I see as the various reasons.  Which others have agreed with, and  is why I put the bit in brackets in my post.  It is a shame that so many posts nowadays do not make you feel as if you want to cruise again, sadly.  Not just on Seabourn.  But given the chance I would try again, of course, either on Seabourn or Saga with the incentive  of not having to fly.

• Like 1

So we now have tried Solis, and had a lovely dinner about a week ago on thw Quest.  Started with interesting and fun cocktails from a special Solis menu and then went to the special salad that was prepared at the table.  The salad was delicious;  the table side preparation was nice, but lost on us as we generally don't go for that table side drama.   Then bouillabaisse which was very very good.  Stuck with the offered wines and did not get any pressured upsale for the wine list.  Service was good, no issues. So on the whole, we welcome the change from Thomas Keller.  We are on board for a long time so we will return.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2