Holland America not allowing AARP benefit to be combined with TA perks????

3 hours ago, margretha said:

Spoke with "agent" at HAL. Learned we have the AARP OBC on one cruise and will get the military OBC on the other because you can't get the AARP and Military both on the same cruise. Hey, free money so don't want to look a gift ship in the hold but that seems at odds with others have written. So no complaints here but glad to have gotten the reservation info from this thread and gotten the $$.

margretha

I have the AARP, shareholders benefit, educator, and military credit all applied to my cruise. All of these are linked to me, not my travel companion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RRFan said:

Here is my experience.  We are stock owners (have been for years).  We already had two cruises booked with HAL for 2024 when I read about the AARP and Educator benefits in March.  I submitted both requests but did not expect to get them on our April cruise since it was already booked.  We were notified that the AARP and Educator status was verified, but never got any confirmation on credit being applied.  When we boarded the ship and checked our statement on the Navigator app, we had $300 OBC that we weren't expecting (we were expecting the owner's benefit and this was in addition).  So Yeah!! and yes it was combined with our owner's benefit, the TA benefit from the booking and both husband and I got the AARP (we have two numbers) plus I got the educator benefit.  

While onboard, we booked an August cruise and I was asking the future cruise person about the AARP and Educator benefits and told her we got them on the current cruise.  She said to tell our TA (we were transferring the booking to our local TA) and the TA would be able to get them applied.  My TA says he will look at that this week.  I got the feeling this was something new to him but he hated to admit he was going to have to figure it out.  So hoping for the best and will follow up with HAL if he tells me he can't do it.  Such a surprising benefit amount (all 3 cruises were two weeks in length BTW).  

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your post. So you and your spouse are on the same reservation and able to receive AARP OBC for each AARP membership (so OBC x 2)?

LAX

1 hour ago, LAX said:

So you and your spouse are on the same reservation and able to receive AARP OBC for each AARP membership (so OBC x 2)?

The offer is perfectly clear that the benefit is per stateroom. (As I think you know!) I suspect there was some other OBC in the mix, as HAL does not make it clear where OBC is coming from on pax documentation.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/cruise-deals/community-appreciation-cruise-offers/aarp-member-benefit-offer

• Like 3

11 hours ago, margretha said:

Spoke with "agent" at HAL. Learned we have the AARP OBC on one cruise and will get the military OBC on the other because you can't get the AARP and Military both on the same cruise.

This is incorrect information, unless it just changed.  I have both AARP and Veteran OBC on all my booked cruises.  I didn't have to do anything special to get them, other than remind my PCC that I should get both.  I'd call again and ask.

• Like 2

I booked a cruise onboard April 28th.  The cruise was assigned to my big box TA.  The Cruise Consultant advised that the AARP OBC could not be automatically applied but would need to be requested by the TA.  Called the TA May 7th to have them “get” the cruise which took a few minutes.  However, it took him about 30 minutes on the phone with HAL to get the $200 AARP OBC.  Time well spent for OBC and TA cash card.

• Like 1

We have both AARP and Educator on our next cruise; just AARP applies to me, and Educator applies to my wife. At least, that is how our PCC told us it worked out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have (1) Holland Early Booking and (2) Holland Future Cruise Deposit and (3) AARP and (4) Healthcare and (5) TA OBC all on a single booking right now. Plan to add (6) Shareholder OBC before we cruise. I did get things lined up BEFORE booking, but I do hear it sometimes works after too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

I have (1) Holland Early Booking and (2) Holland Future Cruise Deposit and (3) AARP and (4) Healthcare and (5) TA OBC all on a single booking right now. Plan to add (6) Shareholder OBC before we cruise. I did get things lined up BEFORE booking, but I do hear it sometimes works after too.

Do you see that on your app, on the web or where?  I never see it but it’s there when we get onboard. I do see our future cruise deposits, but nothing else. Thanks!  

1 hour ago, RRFan said:

Do you see that on your app, on the web or where?  I never see it but it’s there when we get onboard. I do see our future cruise deposits, but nothing else. Thanks!  

The total amount of OBC is shown in your Booking Confirmation. If you are using a travel agent/agency, they get that document and may or may not pass it along to you. You could ask for it?

I do not know how transparent the breakdown of where the OBC came from is for TAs as I do not use one. I can get the breakdown from my PCC. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RRFan said:

Same as @crystalspin I just had my TA run an updated booking confirmation for me and they produced a new one with the updated total I expected for OBC (but had not told them) - honestly my TA has no idea what extra stuff I have going on, they just see it when it refreshes. What I get from my TA does not break down the individual OBC but just has one overall OBC total from Holland and one over OBC total from the TA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I booked two cruises back to back through a TA for August. I called HAL reservations today to follow up on the AARP benefit and the Educator/teacher benefit.

The agent said I already had an AARP benefit for a July cruise and I needed to reapply for the benefit for the August cruises. If I make dummy bookings for the cruises it shows I qualify for the benefit. Thoughts?

For the teacher benefit she said it can only be applied to one cruise so it's been applied to the first but not the second. I get the impression she's saying it can only be used once. It doesn't say that on HAL's information page. Anyone have experience with this?