B2B Switching Cabins

zqvol

Posted (edited)

Can someone who has done a B2B and had to switch cabins explain the process to me.

Before anyone takes this off on the usual tangents, I know it would be better to be in the same cabin, and I know how that  B2B procedure works in the turn around port where I will be when you stay in the same cabin. 

TIA

Edited by zqvol

Posted (edited)

You'll receive a "back-to-back letter" onboard a day or two before the end of cruise one.  This will explain the process and timings, which can vary depending on the ship and port.

The letter will include some luggage tags, which show your new room number.  You pack up your luggage (other than things you need if you're going ashore on the turnaround day), attach the tags, and leave it in your room (do not put it out in the hall the night before!).

Your room attendant will know you're moving (although it doesn't hurt to remind them) and they will move your luggage to your new room, during the turnaround day.

You need to leave your room at the normal time in the morning (like 8am) and probably won't have access to your new room until everybody else does (like 1pm or later).

When you need to go and get the new key card depends on the ship.  Usually you have to go to guest services on the turnaround morning, some ships allow it earlier.  If you can get your new card earlier, it may only work to let you back on the ship, not into the new room (because the room was occupied on cruise 1).  In that case, you have to go to guest services again to get an updated card, after disembarkation of those other people who were in your new room.

Edited by Rob_H
  • Like 2

First, it's always good to inform your stateroom attendant that you will be continuing on your travels for the next leg of the cruise, but that you will be changing rooms.  Forewarned is forearmed.  I usually turn in a bag of laundry the day before turnaround day.  We tag it with our new stateroom number.  That clears out some space in our luggage, so we don't have to worry about cramming in everything else.  Your laundry will be returned to you in your new room, usually in a day or two. 

The morning of turnaround, we pack our bags and leave them inside our room, with luggage tags indicating our stateroom number for the second half of our B2B.  The stateroom attendant will see to it that the bags get delivered to the new room.  Depending upon which port will serve as your turnaround, you may be required to leave your room, you may have to leave the ship, or you may even have to leave and stay off the ship until a certain time later that day.  We usually take a tour to fill the hours, but sometimes we just sit in the cruise terminal and take advantage of their free internet connection. 

As you probably already know, once you return to board the ship, you bypass the check-in line and treat it just like any other intermediate port of call.  NCL usually will give you a tag to wear which indicates that you are a returning or continuing passenger.  I've never done a B2B where we were allowed to stay on board, but I have read that others have.  We have changed rooms on about four different B2Bs and have never had a problem.

• Like 2

We have done several B2B where we changed cabins.  Only once were we given luggage tags with the new number.  I print out the tags for the second cruise before I leave home and put them on the luggage which we leave in the cabin.  You do not have to pack the items hanging in the closet - they will be moved for you and hung in the new cabin.  I use a CPAP and have to request distilled water.  One gallon jug is enough for both cruises so I only order it for the first.  I use a marker to put the new cabin number on it and leave it on the desk to be moved. 

We have always been able to go to our new cabin immediately upon boarding.  The cabin steward knows there is a B2B guest and does that one first.