New to Regent - any tips?

Thank you all so much for all the great tips and advice. It's been invaluable.

We have now taken the plunge and booked! - on Voyager in December primarily for the itinerary and especially because it ends in Dubai where our eldest son lives!  We've gone for the cheapest cabin because, on balance, what we would gain by paying a little more isn't really worth it to us. In order to get anything we would really value would mean paying significantly more and we would rather spend that kind of money on more holidays!

So now I'm rapidly booking excursions as some are already waitlisted or just say that they're full without the opportunity to waitlist. Does that mean that there ISN'T a waitlist for those? 

If we opt for a paid excursion because the included excursion we'd like isn't available at this stage, can we cancel if it DOES become available? Or is it best just to wait and see?

1 hour ago, Mocamps said:

So now I'm rapidly booking excursions as some are already waitlisted or just say that they're full without the opportunity to waitlist. Does that mean that there ISN'T a waitlist for those? 

If we opt for a paid excursion because the included excursion we'd like isn't available at this stage, can we cancel if it DOES become available? Or is it best just to wait and

When you "waitlist" for an excursion then pick another, the "waitlisted" excursion is a priority. So if it opens and they can clear you they will clear you to the waitlisted excursion and drop the other one (or so it says).   BUT, I would keep an eye on it and as soon as you board, go to Destination Services and see if anything has opened up. We did that and the excursion we waitlisted was open on Boarding Day but we didn't clear for it prior. So I assume it didn't open up until close in,

Also remember that there's a definite time constraint on when you can cancel a Regent's Choice Excursion and be refunded (I think 36 hours but it's on their website).  

Also you'll likely find that most waitlisted excursions tend to open up.  The one's without the option to waitlist are probably so heavily waitlisted that they're not taking any more names, but again, always ask upon boarding. 

• Like 1

Thank you. That all makes sense.

In some cases our preferred excursion time would be the morning but that's full but they also offer an afternoon start for the same excursion. In those cases I've booked the afternoon times - but guess I should maybe have waitlisted for the morning and THEN booked the afternoon. Is that correct? Because now that I've booked the afternoon it won't allow me to waitlist for morning as there's a clash. Or would I have the same problem even if I'm only waitlisted for the morning.

I'll get there!! It's all a learning curve. I'm really familiar with Silversea way of doing things and this is just slightly different.  I've managed to book excursions that I'm fairly happy with even when my preferred option is full so I'm relaxed!

5 minutes ago, Mocamps said:

Thank you. That all makes sense.

In some cases our preferred excursion time would be the morning but that's full but they also offer an afternoon start for the same excursion. In those cases I've booked the afternoon times - but guess I should maybe have waitlisted for the morning and THEN booked the afternoon. Is that correct? Because now that I've booked the afternoon it won't allow me to waitlist for morning as there's a clash. Or would I have the same problem even if I'm only waitlisted for the morning.

I'll get there!! It's all a learning curve. I'm really familiar with Silversea way of doing things and this is just slightly different.  I've managed to book excursions that I'm fairly happy with even when my preferred option is full so I'm relaxed!

Just call Regent and explain how you want it.  They'll make the changes for you.  That's actually the only way you can change Shore Excursions once booked (until you get on the ship). They're very nice and easy to work with.  And maybe they can get you on the morning tour, you never know.  Give them a call. 

• Like 1

Good advice from everyone - but also be aware that if there's an excursion you *really* want and you can't get it via a call to Regent or through Destination Services on board, you can really take it to the wire and just swing by the Constellation theater the day of - there are sometimes no-shows at the last minute and you can get accommodated.

Although I hate doing this last-minute stuff, it worked for us on our last cruise where my wife really, REALLY wanted to go to the penguin rookery in Ushuaia which was, of course, booked solid.  We waitlisted and even checked the night before and nothing had opened.  They advised us to go to the theater and check in - and they had a handful of no-shows and we got to go see our penguins.

Bottom line - just because something shows full or waitlisted online, there are several other options available to you.  Good luck!!

DSC_0423.thumb.JPG.a3868c095dd44d8b08f20afcb24158c1.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This thread has been so helpful to me as I will be on my first (solo) Regent cruise in December on the Navigator - round trip from Miami.  Thank you to everyone for your input!

• Like 1