Rental Van for traveling to port from out of state.

Magus

Anyone ever rent a mini van or passenger van for driving to a port from out of town? I got a group of people and flying might just be too expensive for most of us, plus all of the luggage. Now I could drive those that are considering driving, but I dont think I will have room for all the luggage as well. I was half considering renting a mini van or passenger van. Was wondering if anyone had ever done that and had any tips. 

One thought was to do a one way rental, return it the morning of cruise and then rent it again a week later for the drive home. That way I am not paying for parking and a rental for a week while we are gone. Has anyone done this? Have any advice? 
We will be sailing out of NOLA in October btw. 

Posted (edited)

We have done a one way van rental for travel to our cruise terminal.  In fact our group was too large for one van so we rented two.  More recently we had a one-way van rental for a land trip.    However, we did not take the rental vans back.  We flew home from a different disembark port.   

For large group cruises, we have done car caravans with our personal vehicles from SF Bay Area to Los Angeles to catch a cruise.  

If you have trouble finding a one-way van rental, you might have more luck selecting an airport drop off location.  Meaning instead of dropping off, say in New Orleans, drop it at MSY then shuttle to the port.  Might be just in my mind, but seems rental companies might offer that option more than a drop off with less traffic.

If you cannot get the two separate one-way rentals (one going and one returning) it might still be good to do a rental.  Even if you keep the rental van for the duration of the cruise, the additional parking would be slightly offset by the eliminating any one-way drop fee, and might still be less than several airfares.  Don't know for sure.  Just a thought.   

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

for larger vans you may want to look at commercial rental places and not just the standard 'car' places .... but also if you rent a larger van check with your insurance to be sure your covered . . .

• Like 1

How long a drive is it, in hours/miles, approximately?

Depending upon how many people, you might want to consider, or at least get an estimate so you know *whether* it's worth considering, hiring a vehicle and driver. Then they just drive the vehicle back, without you, while you continue on your adventures.

The more people sharing, the less "per person", for any vehicle type, etc.

You might contact an "executive car service" type of company for starters.

Or a "limo" company.  Those aren't always technically "limousines" anymore; they can use sedans, SUVs, classic "stretch limo" types, or vans.  You'd want a larger company so they actively are using a variety, plus professional drivers who are accustomed to the vehicles.

Does Uber offer the larger vehicles?  I'm wary of Uber, but DH uses it occasionally.  However, he's been using their "black" or "luxe" (?) service/vehicles, and I've now joined him on a few.  Most recently, when we were traveling, we unexpectedly needed to pick up two young grandsons and bring them back to our hotel for the weekend, and it wasn't a short drive.  We got a VERY nice large SUV, the type with three full rows.  The driver was just as good as "back in the day" and had a very late-model [very clean!] vehicle, like when I occasionally took car services for business purposes.

We ended up talking and laughing and having a great time during the drive back with the boys.  We could have rented a regular SUV, but it was a *vacation*, and I didn't think DH should be dealing with driving and traffic, and he agreed pretty quickly.  It was a major metro area we had never driven in before, and it wouldn't have been a fun drive, to put in mildly!

In our case, it obviously did not save money, but if it had been a larger group, it may have, etc.

At least check prices and compare with other choices.

GC

Posted (edited)

We rent a car to go to the airport!  It is sometimes cheaper than Uber.   It is a good plan if you can get a reasonable rate .  

heads up on NOLA - I go there frequently since it is where my family is.  Drop your rental at the airport and plan for an Uber van to take you to the port.  

another thought is to look at flights to other cities.  Houston is a 5 hour drive and sometimes their prices are much cheaper. 

Edited by Mary229

19 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

How long a drive is it, in hours/miles, approximately?

Depending upon how many people, you might want to consider, or at least get an estimate so you know *whether* it's worth considering, hiring a vehicle and driver. Then they just drive the vehicle back, without you, while you continue on your adventures.

The more people sharing, the less "per person", for any vehicle type, etc.

You might contact an "executive car service" type of company for starters.

Or a "limo" company.  Those aren't always technically "limousines" anymore; they can use sedans, SUVs, classic "stretch limo" types, or vans.  You'd want a larger company so they actively are using a variety, plus professional drivers who are accustomed to the vehicles.

Does Uber offer the larger vehicles?  I'm wary of Uber, but DH uses it occasionally.  However, he's been using their "black" or "luxe" (?) service/vehicles, and I've now joined him on a few.  Most recently, when we were traveling, we unexpectedly needed to pick up two young grandsons and bring them back to our hotel for the weekend, and it wasn't a short drive.  We got a VERY nice large SUV, the type with three full rows.  The driver was just as good as "back in the day" and had a very late-model [very clean!] vehicle, like when I occasionally took car services for business purposes.

We ended up talking and laughing and having a great time during the drive back with the boys.  We could have rented a regular SUV, but it was a *vacation*, and I didn't think DH should be dealing with driving and traffic, and he agreed pretty quickly.  It was a major metro area we had never driven in before, and it wouldn't have been a fun drive, to put in mildly!

In our case, it obviously did not save money, but if it had been a larger group, it may have, etc.

At least check prices and compare with other choices.

GC

18 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We rent a car to go to the airport!  It is sometimes cheaper than Uber.   It is a good plan if you can get a reasonable rate .  

heads up on NOLA - I go there frequently since it is where my family is.  Drop your rental at the airport and plan for an Uber van to take you to the port.  

another thought is to look at flights to other cities.  Houston is a 5 hour drive and sometimes their prices are much cheaper. 

Folks - OP is in Arizona.  Cruise is out of Louisiana.   

22 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I was just looking at that myself.   Google Maps says it's almost 1600 miles, about a 23 hour drive.  For me the last thing I would want to do after a nice relaxing cruise would be to get in a cramped vehicle and drive for a couple of days.

8 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I was just looking at that myself.   Google Maps says it's almost 1600 miles, about a 23 hour drive.  For me the last thing I would want to do after a nice relaxing cruise would be to get in a cramped vehicle and drive for a couple of days.

We do multi-day road trips with our close family & friends.  We did that for a cruise embarking in Quebec City.  I think we were three nights on the road.  But it was only pre-cruise.  For me the return drive should have an itinerary of things to stop, do, and see to make it fun for the group.  Otherwise if just travel home, then I would feel the same as you.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Yes, and they could fly to Houston and save money by fewer nights on the road and lower airfare.  I am well aware of this road trip, did it for over 30 years.  And am well aware of airfares, Houston is generally cheaper if not much cheaper 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Yes, and they could fly to Houston and save money by fewer nights on the road and lower airfare.  I am well aware of this road trip, did it for over 30 years.  And am well aware of airfares, Houston is generally cheaper if not much cheaper 

Thanks. I actually misread your post.