Vancouver Embark Plan.....Questions...

Headed to Alaska from Vancouver on HAL in May.  From reading the very helpful info here on CC, we've decided the plan will be to drop our checked luggage early (say at 11am) and then wait till around 1-1:30p to actually check-in so that hopefully we can avoid the AM rush to board.  Ship leaves at 4p so we know we gotta be checked in before the 90 min deadline.

Questions I have are:

- Is this still a good idea since the Marathon is also on embarkation day and finish line will be close by and may fill local eateries, venues etc with participants?  Our idea is to get some lunch/coffee, etc nearby but are concerned we may face packed shops with the marathon folks.  We'd probably just do the food court or a coffee shop as opposed to a sit-down restaurant.

- The checked luggage drop off appears to be on Level P2.  Any "tips" on which entrance and/or elevator to take to get down to P-2 from the street (we're walking over from another hotel downtown) to try and avoid some of the congestion?

- I have also read there is a tunnel passageway to the Fairmont food court from Canada Place lower levels.  Can you access the passageway from the P2 level or vice versa, in that we could actually get TO the CP P2 level for bag drop-off FROM the food court??  Then use it to get back out of CP and to the food court and AVOID the upper levels completely?

- If the underground passage is not doable, is there a "best" way out of Level P2 back to the street out front to avoid the check-in area congestion until we return later in the afternoon?

I appreciate any advice on it to make this as smooth as possible...

We are on this same cruise.

When you enter CP from the street level, the signage is really clear for luggage dropoff...that should not be a problem.  Have your luggage tags on, drop and go.

Yes, the marathon will be going on, but the finish is several blocks over. There will be lots of surrounding activity, but perhaps walk around and find some dining places...

Just a FYI - there are over 22,000 people registered for the various Marathon categories + about 3000 volunteers - I am one of them + many will have family members along the course and finish line. All restaurants etc. will be packed.

To the best of my knowledge there is no tunnel from P2 luggage drop off to the food court. Just go back upstairs to the main entrance to the Convention center and you should see in the left hand corner stairs etc. that will lead to the Food Court.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Hey guys, am plannin to fly into Vancouver the day of the cruise on May 26th, an have read on cruise line agencies that there will be three ships in that day, after gettin to the pier, was wonderin if there would be time to run down to the olympic torch an look around, then wander back to Canada place, wander down to the end of the pier, & etc? Then board the ship. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You don't mention what time you land at YVR, or your transportation to Canada Place, or your nationality, or your sailing time.  So....  here's my general advice:  allow at least an hour at YVR to clear immigration and get your luggage. Allow at least 35-45 minutes to get downtown (either taxi or skytrain).  If you find a porter and drop your bags at Canada Place, plan on 1-2 hrs (when you return) to get thru check in, security, and US immigration.  You must be onboard 90 prior to sailing.  You do the math...

On 4/22/2024 at 1:04 PM, julia said:

You don't mention what time you land at YVR, or your transportation to Canada Place, or your nationality, or your sailing time.  So....  here's my general advice:  allow at least an hour at YVR to clear immigration and get your luggage. Allow at least 35-45 minutes to get downtown (either taxi or skytrain).  If you find a porter and drop your bags at Canada Place, plan on 1-2 hrs (when you return) to get thru check in, security, and US immigration.  You must be onboard 90 prior to sailing.  You do the math...

Do you have to be onboard 90 min before departure or just checked in 90 min before?