Skagway

Luv2cruz1000

We have been to Skagway and rented a car, highly recommend this option. We are planning another cruise and are looking at just hanging around the port, seeing the town and maybe going out to Dyea by bus. Are we going to be disappointed or bored. Any suggestions on how to spend the day without spending too much money? We can do shorter walks but strenuous hiking is also not an option. We are extending our stay in Anchorage and thinking we would save the money here as we never really saw Skagway itself. Thoughts?

I believe you can rent electric bikes to go to Dyea as well.  Try Doughboy’s! Yum! If it’s open this summer, Carrington’s has a nice ivory museum that’s free.  Try the spruce tip ale at the brewery. Go to the local museum.  Walk thru Pullen Park.  Check out the fish ladder if the salmon are running and watch the seals. Walk out to Yakutania Point.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glaciers said:

The Gold Rush Cemetery makes for a nice stop. The Smart Shuttle goes out that way. From there you can take the short walk to Lower Reid Falls.

The shuttle bus will drop you off for $15.

• Like 1

We also enjoy a leisurely walk to the bridge over the creek(the sign for the Lower Dewey Lake moderate level trail is there). If there are salmon running I can spend time just watching them I the creek.  We have watched the movie at the National Park building more than once as it is awesome.  We were able to walk to the cemetery though you may want to ride.  

On 4/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, Luv2cruz1000 said:

We have been to Skagway and rented a car, highly recommend this option. We are planning another cruise and are looking at just hanging around the port, seeing the town and maybe going out to Dyea by bus. Are we going to be disappointed or bored. Any suggestions on how to spend the day without spending too much money? We can do shorter walks but strenuous hiking is also not an option. We are extending our stay in Anchorage and thinking we would save the money here as we never really saw Skagway itself. Thoughts?

I have been thinking about renting a car to drive up to the Yukon, into Canada. What were some things you did and where did you stop when you rented? This is our first time in Alaska so I do appreciate any tips you can give, thank you!!

We went as far as Robinson Roadhouse. Just an amazing opportunity to be able to stop and see the scenery. There is the desert, caribou crossing (stop to see the dog sleds and puppies), a suspension bridge and carcross. Definitely worth having a car and just go off and explore. Murray's guide was wonderful.