QM2 Disembarkation - Brooklyn. Can we “ porter” our own rolling bag.

Stick-Monkey

On 4/21/2024 at 5:09 PM, Stick-Monkey said:

Is it possible / advisable for us to handle a single mid-size (30x16x14 inch) rolling suitcase plus our 2 simple backpacks, disembarking the QM2 15 June?

We are trying to minimize complication, and plan for a pickup time. Deck 10, if that matters.

First time QM2. We don’t want to annoy the rest of you.

I’ve read the other excellent advice about the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2971416-qm2-q2-brooklyn-disembarkation/

Queen Mary 2

QM2 Q2 Brooklyn Disembarkation 

Yes. I wish we'd done this, though it wasn't too bad (as we were QG and were right at the front of the disembarkation queue) - but the supposed time to start disembarkation wasn't met - presumably to do with lining up all the bags in the arrivals hall.

Disembarkation has priority for Grills and status, so if you don't have these probably more reason to take your own bags off. Sounds like you are travelling light anyway!

If you don't take your own bags, highly recommend Apple Tags - was very easy to find our bags in the hall so we could get out and get a cab off the rank

On 4/23/2024 at 3:28 PM, NE John said:

Getting into the US is more intimidating than getting into the UK, I have to admit. 

It's going to be like that for the EU from October (fingerprints, photo first time of entry) because we are now like any other 3rd country who can get a visa waiver (ETIAS is pretty similar to ESTA, and the UK is doing something similar as well

It's all about planning though with NYC... flying in, make sure your seat is on the left side of the plane as near the exit as possible (we were front of the queue in 2016), and at Brooklyn self disembarking seems to be the way to go (though we did ok at the front of timed disembarkation queue)

On 4/23/2024 at 10:59 PM, wetterthanwater said:

Not really. US Citizens (amongst others) use the egates with no invasive questioning. Completely different to the US inbound experience. 

UK is introducing a system a bit like ESTA (US) or ETIAS (EU) called ETA - an electronic visa waiver

Not sure if that means any changes coming in to UK for alien Americans 😉 though there is this

"On arrival, UK Border Force will check the ETA and ask supplementary questions before deciding whether or not to allow the traveller in. The government says: “An ETA does not guarantee entry to the UK.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/uk-electronic-travel-authorisation-visa-entry-b2362909.html

https://homeofficemedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/02/01/electronic-travel-authorisation-eta-scheme-factsheet-february-2024/

• Like 1

Never had a problem disembarking in Brooklyn.   Always used a porter who will get us thru any lines and to an acceptable taxi or limo.   Who wants to handle large baggage on the gangway and multiple ramps when Cunard will do it as part of your passage?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disembarked last fall and the terminal was using the facial recognation scanners of customs so the whole proces was much faster.   

Self disembarkation(take your own luggage) is usually started at 7am.     

Most ship try for zero count by 9am or 9:15am, so no LEISURELY brekkes on disembarkation days. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:19 PM, gentlemancruiser said:

Self disembarkation(take your own luggage) is usually started at 7am

We have usually self-disembarked, is it at 7? I know it's early. Are we required to leave at the start, or can one self-debark later in the process (after, or while, those who are claiming their luggage in the hall are debarking).

Just now, frankp01 said:

We have usually self-disembarked, is it at 7? I know it's early. Are we required to leave at the start, or can one self-debark later in the process (after, or while, those who are claiming their luggage in the hall are debarking).

I thought you were supposed to go early - one reason we didn't so we could have breakfast!

However whilst waiting at the front of the queue there were a number of people walking past self disembarking.

What are they going to do if you roll up late self-disembarking? Stop you leaving? Worst they make you queue...

On 4/30/2024 at 8:35 AM, MCC retired said:

We always have time for a full breakfast @ Kings Court well before the 7am

That fits my daily schedule to a T. However, one in our travelling party would prefer to disembark around 9, I suspect. That's why I'm wondering if we can still self-disembark that late.

6 hours ago, frankp01 said:

That fits my daily schedule to a T. However, one in our travelling party would prefer to disembark around 9, I suspect. That's why I'm wondering if we can still self-disembark that late.

As I’ve said Frank - what are they going to do if you do turn up to self disembark at 9? Whilst waiting we saw people do it around that time.