Japan travel during Golden Week

MonikaV

Has anyone cruised or traveled in Japan during a Golden Week? I know that basically all business shuts down during Golden Week but does this also involve tourist destinations, restaurants, public transportation etc? We will be on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise next year and it seems that we will be visiting a few ports during the Golden Week.  Grateful for any advice - thank you

We travelled during Golden Week and didn't notice any shutdowns (but we were only there for the first two days). If you are booking your own hotels, do it early, because I thought that booking 4 months ahead would be OK, but the rate had doubled from what was showing 6 months ahead.

• Thanks 1

Most tourist-oriented (and other) businesses will be open.  The problem, during Golden Week, is that many Japanese are on the move to various places to vacation or visit friends/family.  The main impact on cruisers/travelers is that many of the trains and hotels may be full.  If planning a train trip to the more popular places (such as Kyoto) it would be wise to make train reservations in advance.  The other downside is that the more popular shines/temples will generally be packed with hordes of Japanese tourists.  

As Godfreyb suggests, plan ahead, make reservations, and enjoy yourself 🙂

Hank

Everything/everywhere will be super crowded during the Gold Week.  Most businesses that caters to tourists will definitely be open.  Maybe it is OK if you are taking a cruise, but I personally never visit Japan during Golden Week because of the crowds.

• Thanks 1

I looked too because we are sailing from Tokyo on Riviera April 25. Got this off Google:

Is it OK to visit Japan during Golden Week?

Golden Week is one of the longest holiday periods on the Japanese calendar — many locals get time off work to enjoy the bank holidays. It's also a great time to visit Japan. Tourists can experience traditional festivals and even join in with the celebrations.

sounds like winner to me. 
Mauibabes 
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

I looked too because we are sailing from Tokyo on Riviera April 25. Got this off Google:

Golden Week is one of the longest holiday periods on the Japanese calendar — many locals get time off work to enjoy the bank holidays. It's also a great time to visit Japan. Tourists can experience traditional festivals and even join in with the celebrations.

Mauibabes 

We're on the same sailing. According to the current schedule, we'll be in the last two ports in Japan on the 29th and 30th before the crossing. Was not familiar with Golden Week, but not the least bit put off at the prospect. Go with the flow! It'll be fun! (So looking forward to the whole trip!)

• Thanks 1

Very much looking forward to the trip - have not been to Japan in five years and love the country, culture and people. I was just wondering a bit how crowded places may be.

Very much looking forward to Alaska as well - we have never been there. Just one more year to go .... 

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Mauibabes 

With the great hoards of tourists visiting Japan in record numbers, I generally discourage people to visit there during the Golden Week.  I disagree that this is by any stretch of imagination “a great time” to visit Japan, especially in this context.  Over-tourism in Japan is a seriously real problem in Japan at this time.

However, if you must visit Japan during this time, look out for some of the festivities associated with one of the holidays during this week.   May 5 is a traditional Japanese holiday called “Tango no Sekku,” now popularized and also called “Children’s Day” or “Kodomo no Hi.”. There are a few cultural traditions associated with this seasonal holiday, including chimaki and kashiwa mochi.   There is also a tradition of people flying carp-shaped windsock called koinobori for this holiday.

But I have a small koinobori hanging in my house 365 days a year, and one can find chimaki and kashiwa mochi any day of the year while visiting Japan or one of the more bigger Japanese communities around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1