Same Day Arrival for QM2 Crossing

Jack E Dawson

18 minutes ago, NE John said:

In old school and like a challenge. Lived it. Plus, I’ve driven in Naples, Italy. It doesn’t get worse than that.

You drove in Naples? Do you have some kind of gallantry medal?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, NE John said:

Wait, I thought you guys drove on the wrong side?…

Not usually... and research says it's slightly the safer side (to do with dominant eye and dominant hand). 

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

You drove in Naples? Do you have some kind of gallantry medal?

DW is a native of Napoli. Worse when my mother-in-law and aunt were once in the back seat giving conflicting instructions in their Neopolitan dialect during the madness of driving in that extreme madness. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Not usually... and research says it's slightly the safer side (to do with dominant eye and dominant hand). 

Actually I really liked driving in Britain. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Strange we have such a comparatively low accident rate.

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

Strange we have such a comparatively low accident rate.

One of the best rates anywhere I think

Such good drivers in the UK of course...

Roads are actually very well designed here - even things like motorway slip roads which can be very badly designed in some countries (Italy for example). 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, exlondoner said:

If you are coming down on the Cross Country Service from Oxford, be aware that it is quite expensive and not particularly reliable.

You are exactly right exlondoner, we will take the train from Kingham to Oxford and connect there. The tickets were 152 Pounds for the 2 of us vs 50 Pounds for the train from London to Kingham. We are on the 10:00AM train. Our Crossing is on the June 9th QM2 sailing. 

6 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

the station is a little way outside the village. 

Good to know Host Hattie as we will each have a rolling bag and back pack. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

We do have automatics now! And these days they are very good. Wouldn't for a moment suggest hiring a car in London though - public transport there is excellent (but not cheap)... but you may miss out on a lot of the Cotswolds without one - so many beautiful spots (previously mentioned, Bourton on the Water, Stow, Slaughters, Broadway, Chipping Camden) that aren't really reachable by public transport (I think there's a station in Moreton in the Marsh which is close-ish to Stow and Bourton on the Water).  Broadway Tower (a folly) has a great view. Sudeley Castle (one of Henry VIIIs wives' I think). 

Roads there are WAY easier than London - good A and B roads. 

But you'll have a great time I am sure. Cotswolds are a lovely area. When are you going?

Sudeley Castle (one of Henry VIIIs wives' I think). 
Catherine Parr (Number Six).

5 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

You are exactly right exlondoner, we will take the train from Kingham to Oxford and connect there. The tickets were 152 Pounds for the 2 of us vs 50 Pounds for the train from London to Kingham. We are on the 10:00AM train. Our Crossing is on the June 9th QM2 sailing. 

Good to know Host Hattie as we will each have a rolling bag and back pack. 

Jack, knowing this is a non-Cunard question but have you ever thought of renting a car and driving to your destinations? You may save money and have more control of your day. Plus, you can drop the car off at the Southhampton docks and get on the ship while not have to hassle with suitcases and paying extra fares for public transportation.
How do you feel about driving in England?

• Like 1

My first public transport job was seven years as a bus driver, and until we bought our holiday flat here I would drive at least 2,500 miles each year on a mix of sides of the road for our vacations. So I would consider myself an experienced driver

To me driving is a chore, which is fine if you're being paid for it, or there is good reason (we're making an 80 mile round trip to Italy tomorrow to buy six months supply of cat food). You should be watching the road so you don't see as much as on buses or trains. And if you take a car to lunch or dinner you can't have wine with your meal.

I'm not familiar with public transport in the Cotswolds but most of the UK has fairly decent local bus services and good quality public transport information through Traveline.

Travelling on local buses can be quite interesting in itself due to the diverse nature of fellow passengers.

• Like 2