A "Hidden" RCL and Celebrity Benefit

19 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

At pandemic lows we bought 100 shares of RCCL, CCL and NCL.

Since then the RCCL stock price has gone through the roof.  We have also had a nice "dividend" of at least $1000 of OBC.  

We haven't cruised the CCL or the NCL ships but will be in the future.

I do not have any problems having 100 shares of three companies in a large portfolio of stocks.

There is no requirement that the stock be held for longer than it is necessary to get the shareholder discount approved.

On 4/25/2024 at 3:47 PM, Tom and Ingrid said:

Where were you last year when I needed this knowledge 🫣

😄

I had to stumble on it somehow instead.

Visit these boards more often - you will learn a lot.😉

Unfortunately, if you bought 100 shares now, at $145 per share (today's price) you'd be putting aside $14,500 for that benefit - not a great investment at that price. 

This is a nice benefit, but $14,000 to buy 100 shares to get $100 OBC for 7 days is kind of expensive.  If you bought a couple of years ago you could pay a lot less and, obviously, you made a good buy since it has gone up a lot.

Princess/Carnival does the same thing, but with their stock trading around $15/share it's a lot easier to buy in.

29 minutes ago, tserface said:

This is a nice benefit, but $14,000 to buy 100 shares to get $100 OBC for 7 days is kind of expensive.  If you bought a couple of years ago you could pay a lot less and, obviously, you made a good buy since it has gone up a lot.

Princess/Carnival does the same thing, but with their stock trading around $15/share it's a lot easier to buy in.

Yes,I bought my shares when it was $9.99/share

1 hour ago, chrismch said:

Unfortunately, if you bought 100 shares now, at $145 per share (today's price) you'd be putting aside $14,500 for that benefit - not a great investment at that price. 

In addition, the odds appear to be greater that the share price will go down.  Buying now could be a high risk proposition.  Invest the money in a CD and use that money for OBC.

• Like 2