Carnival Corporation Completes Fleetwide Rollout of LR OneOcean Environmental Compliance & Passage Planning Software

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Well done, Carnival Corp!

Agree!  I still remember my first cruise (Home Lines 1984) watching the crew dump large black garbage bags off the stern of the ship. Hopefully other lines will get this software also.

Edited by pe4all

And, what is this going to do to make Carnival Corp any more environmentally compliant than they are now (which is not saying much)? Not much.  Sure, it tells them exactly when they cross into a regulated zone, but does this automatically shut off the incinerators, or change over fuels?  Nope.  Does this stop them from venting fluorocarbons (refrigerants), as they've done in the past, since this is a worldwide restriction?  Nope.  Does this stop them from bypassing oil/water separators in discharging waste water, again a worldwide restriction?  Nope.  All of these things Carnival has been convicted of doing in the past, and continued to do while on probation from that conviction.  Many shipping companies manage to be environmentally compliant without relying on navigational software to remind them when to "watch out for regulators" by being compliant all the time, even when not required.  That commitment would make me applaud Carnival far more than this showpiece.

While I see that the "PR" in PR Newswire is for "press release", in my opinion, this entire piece of "environmentally compliant software" is nothing but the other "pr" "public relations". 

• Like 1

Just now, chengkp75 said:

And, what is this going to do to make Carnival Corp any more environmentally compliant than they are now (

I think you have to admit that anything Carnival does is better than nothing.

Aren't they still on probation? If you think they are currently in violation, why not submit proof to the appropriate authority?

No, their probation period ended in April, 2022, having just been found in violation of that probation in Jan, 2022.  I have no proof that they are in violation, but without a seismic change in corporate culture (and Mickey Arison still heads the board), and the c-suite officers are all long term Carnival employees that were there when the violations and probation violations and compliance plan "gaslighting" was going on, so I don't foresee that the environmental compliance outlook has shifted 180 degrees, let alone adopted a completely foreign (to them) culture.  Plus, they've rolled the "Chief Climate Officer" into the jobs of the President and CEO, meaning that it does not get the attention the job needs.

Sorry, this "software" program is mere window dressing.

So Carnival is in compliance and the software will only help them stay in compliance.

Carnival paid their fines and completed probation. The slate is clean 

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

So Carnival is in compliance and the software will only help them stay in compliance.

Carnival paid their fines and completed probation. The slate is clean 

I never said they were in compliance.  I said I couldn't prove that they weren't.  I'll bet someone can.  And, from what I can see, the only thing the software will do is allow them to possibly violate regulations closer to the borders of the regulated zones.  It also takes any personal responsibility away from those people who are designated to ensure compliance by putting it on the software.  "Well, OneOcean didn't tell me that we were entering a regulated space, so I thought it was okay".

I never said they were in compliance.  I said I couldn't prove that they weren't.  I'll bet someone can.  And, from what I can see, the only thing the software will do is allow them to possibly violate regulations closer to the borders of the regulated zones.  It also takes any personal responsibility away from those people who are designated to ensure compliance by putting it on the software.  "Well, OneOcean didn't tell me that we were entering a regulated space, so I thought it was okay".

I did. Carnival paid their dues.

I am also impressed by the biodigesters Carnival has installed. Reduction in single use plastics. Etc. 

The software is just one piece, but it does help with consistency fleet wide.