Transportation in Anchorage?

jean-lynd

We will be in Anchorage for a couple of days after our cruise. If we want to go to dinner someplace that is too far to walk what would you recommend? We have never used a taxi, Uber or Lyft so not sure if any of these are doable. Thanks!

Anchorage certainly has taxi companies (why would Anchorage not have taxis?).  For a number of years Uber/Lyft was not legal in Alaska due to our wage and hour laws.  Under former governor Bill Walker legislation was introduced and ride share services are now legal.  And of course, Anchorage has their municipal bus service.

6 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Anchorage certainly has taxi companies (why would Anchorage not have taxis?).  For a number of years Uber/Lyft was not legal in Alaska due to our wage and hour laws.  Under former governor Bill Walker legislation was introduced and ride share services are now legal.  And of course, Anchorage has their municipal bus service.

Thanks - which would be the easiest to use? Should I just ask at the hotel desk?

12 hours ago, AKStafford said:

What part of town are you staying in? If you are downtown, plenty of places to eat within walking distance.

We are staying at the Captain Cook.

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

There are numerous nice places to dine near the Captain Cook.  You have many options.

But if you haven't used Uber or Lyft you could just ask the hotel to call a taxi.  Easy peasy.

We will probably just eat close to the Captain Cook. A friend had told us about a place that they really liked but I just learned they are only open for breakfast and lunch. Probably won't want to commute that early in the day. Any suggestions of places close to the Captain Cook?

3 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

We will probably just eat close to the Captain Cook. A friend had told us about a place that they really liked but I just learned they are only open for breakfast and lunch. Probably won't want to commute that early in the day. Any suggestions of places close to the Captain Cook?

Snow City Cafe is close to the Captain Cook for breakfast or lunch and very popular (you may have to wait).  Glacier Brewhouse is also nearby.  You can make reservations for a table or walk in if you are ok eating at the bar.  Check out places to eat on Trip Advisor.  There are lots of places within walking distance.  We loved staying at the Captain Cook!

20 hours ago, jean-lynd said:

I'll start a list of restaurants within walking distance and others will chime in with additional ideas.

I wonder if your friend was talking about the Snow City Cafe which is very popular with locals but is only open for breakfast and brunch.  

Other ideas include Fletchers (located on the ground level of the Captain Cook), Glacier Brewhouse, Simon & Seaforts, Humpy's (a reference to a humpback salmon), and Marx Bros.  All of these restaurants have websites which list their menus.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

I'll start a list of restaurants within walking distance and others will chime in with additional ideas.

I wonder if your friend was talking about the Snow City Cafe which is very popular with locals but is only open for breakfast and brunch.  

Other ideas include Fletchers (located on the ground level of the Captain Cook), Glacier Brewhouse, Simon & Seaforts, Humpy's (a reference to a humpback salmon), and Marx Bros.  All of these restaurants have websites which list their menus.

Thank you! I have heard of Snow City Cafe. They were talking about Gwennies which is not walking distance from the Captain Cook.