onboard p&o pacific explorer

On 5/5/2024 at 9:08 AM, possum52 said:

Of course you can post on this board about your cruise in Europe. It is for Australian and New Zealand Cruisers, not cruises. I would love to hear about your adventures in Europe.

I second that. 😀

A lot of us here at one stage in our lives go on a European cruise or holiday and I personally would love to hear what you thought of the places you visit or the cruise you are on.

Good to get an Australian perspective, comparing the ships over there to the ones we sail on in Australian waters.

I would even like to hear about the boarding experience was it better or worse than here.

• Like 5

Yes would love to read about your adventures.

Have never thought about posting on this forum when we have cruised in other locations.

Have a great time.

Daz

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 3:39 PM, yes!yes!yes! said:

waiting for the perfect match show to start in the lounge. we call it the Vista lounge because it's just like a princess Vista lounge.

there is such a good turn out for all the events and every one joins in.

have only seen one wheel chair and a few crutches. not one walker frame.

When built, it was the Dawn Princess Vista Lounge. P&O only changed the decor when she became Explorer. The layout of most areas are very similar to her Dawn Princess days.

Thanks for your posts. I am looking forward to your comments from Europe.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 7:17 AM, arxcards said:

No foreign port = no duty free cigs or alcohol.

I know, thats the over the counter individual packet price. Its available whenever the pool bar is open. I dont think there was a duty free shop on board

5 hours ago, dazadelaide said:

Yes would love to read about your adventures.

Have never thought about posting on this forum when we have cruised in other locations.

Have a great time.

Daz

Nor me, I have done lots of "foreign cruises"

5 hours ago, arxcards said:

When built, it was the Dawn Princess Vista Lounge. P&O only changed the decor when she became Explorer. The layout of most areas are very similar to her Dawn Princess days.

Thanks for your posts. I am looking forward to your comments from Europe.

Mum has spent months on the Dawn and she kept pointing out all the original stuff.

Most of it was quite obvious, especially the room carpet and stair well carpets. Vista just has different carpet and cushion covers

On 5/4/2024 at 3:39 PM, yes!yes!yes! said:

we call it the Vista lounge

I still call it that as well, I have to think to call it the black circus or what ever it is called now.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 9:17 AM, arxcards said:

No foreign port = no duty free cigs or alcohol.

Now I'm really getting confused............. We paid around $30 to $40 (or whatever the price is at 'home') for a pack of 25 over the bar when we cruised up the Qld Coast (with P&O) last June and the only 'foreign' port was Willis Island. We bought them prior to getting to the Willis sail by. That's what prompted my query about how far off the Australian Coast you have to be for the $15 price tag to kick in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I know, thats the over the counter individual packet price. Its available whenever the pool bar is open. I dont think there was a duty free shop on board

There is a duty free shop aboard, but all the grog and smoke cartons are removed from display on domestic cruises.

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

Now I'm really getting confused............. We paid around $30 to $40 (or whatever the price is at 'home') for a pack of 25 over the bar when we cruised up the Qld Coast (with P&O) last June and the only 'foreign' port was Willis Island. We bought them prior to getting to the Willis sail by. That's what prompted my query about how far off the Australian Coast you have to be for the $15 price tag to kick in.

P&O can be weird. It could also be that WA and QLD have different rules in place. The funny part with P&O on international cruises is that "duty free" cartons are bonded and can't be taken back to your cabin, yet you can only disembark with a packet per adult.

19 hours ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Mum has spent months on the Dawn and she kept pointing out all the original stuff.

Most of it was quite obvious, especially the room carpet and stair well carpets. Vista just has different carpet and cushion covers

I find the cabin to be very much a Princess cabin, and yes, most of the ship is still very Princess. I think the exceptions are Waterfront, Angelos, Dragon Lady & the Pantry. Also, Shooting Stars disco never looked as good as the Blue Room does on Explorer.

We have very fond memories of cruises on Golden & Star Princess, and aren't inclined to spoil them with Adventure & Encounter.

• Like 1

Just now, arxcards said:

P&O can be weird. It could also be that WA and QLD have different rules in place. The funny part with P&O on international cruises is that "duty free" cartons are bonded and can't be taken back to your cabin, yet you can only disembark with a packet per adult.

Yes, that's why we don't bother to buy a carton. 😒

Possibly the rules are different in WA and Qld, as you say.

I'll be interested to see what the go is when we do the South Pacific at Christmas.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

Princess has been able to sell individual packs of 20 over the bar for $12, whether domestic or international. This was still true ex-Sydney last season. They were restricted to 1 pack per adult per day. Thankfully no longer required for us. I don't recall P&O being as cheap for us either.

1 minute ago, ceeceeDee said:

Yes, that's why we don't bother to buy a carton. 😒

Possibly the rules are different in WA and Qld, as you say.

I'll be interested to see what the go is when we do the South Pacific at Christmas.

Fung Kuei is the go. Cheaper, more choice, plus you can take them to your cabin and consume during the remainder of your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Princess has been able to sell individual packs of 20 over the bar for $12, whether domestic or international. This was still true ex-Sydney last season. They were restricted to 1 pack per adult per day. Thankfully no longer required for us. I don't recall P&O being as cheap for us either.

Fung Kuei is the go. Cheaper, more choice, plus you can take them to your cabin and consume during the remainder of your cruise.

We haven't bothered much with duty free on our cruises, though I was aware that Port Vila duty free shops are pretty competitive. (Vila is halfway through the cruise, so a visit to Fung Kuei would be well timed). I was under the impression that if you bought duty free on land you were required to hand it over when re-boarding the ship and it was returned to you prior to disembarkation in Australia. Does this not apply to a carton of cigarettes?

We've done quite a few cruises, but are not big duty free purchasers so I guess I'm a bit gormless with the regulations and it's at least 6 years since the last South Pacific cruise.

Edited by ceeceeDee

Just now, ceeceeDee said:

We haven't bothered much with duty free on our cruises, though I was aware that Port Vila duty free shops are pretty competitive. I was under the impression that if you bought duty free on land you were required to hand it over when re-boarding the ship and it was returned to you prior to disembarkation in Australia. Does this not apply to a carton of cigarettes?

We've done heaps of cruises, but are not big duty free purchasers so I guess I'm a bit gormless with the regulations.

Grog is bonded. Smokes are not, as long as you take them back to the ship yourself. There is no duty free rule on this. P&O just won't let you take alcohol aboard, so it is bonded whether duty free or not. Cigarettes can be taken aboard, whether duty free or not. 

Fung Kuei will deliver back to the ship and you will see it again on disembarkation morning, so be sure to carry any cigs back to the ship yourself. P&O won't fish them out for you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Grog is bonded. Smokes are not, as long as you take them back to the ship yourself. There is no duty free rule on this. P&O just won't let you take alcohol aboard, so it is bonded whether duty free or not. Cigarettes can be taken aboard, whether duty free or not. 

Fung Kuei will deliver back to the ship and you will see it again on disembarkation morning, so be sure to carry any cigs back to the ship yourself. P&O won't fish them out for you.

Thanks so much, Geoff. Really appreciate your advice. You're a font of useful tips.

Cheers

CeeCee

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

Mums the smoker, not me. But I was with her when she bought a pack from the poolside bar and they said $15.00 per packet, limited choice tho.

• Like 2

In Darwin today. Hot and fiercely sunny. The ship is in good condition for her age. The public areas look more stylish than they did with Princess.

Food continues to be a bugbear for me. The free venues just aren't up to it. The food there is consistently disappointing. They have the ingredients, they have the workforce, I'm just coming around to believing that they need a Gordon Ramsay in the galley.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

They have the ingredients, they have the workforce, I'm just coming around to believing that they need a Gordon Ramsay in the galley.

Or a few choice words constantly  barked at the staff 😂

The most disgusting ship we have been on. A rusty ship, Terrible food, virtually no

entertainments, dirty, our balcony was so bad with Rust holes and God knows what was on the floor we weren't gamed to use it! If this is how they treat Aussie! We are only worth rusty crap to sail in. Never again! Spoke to a lot of people on board who were as shocked as we were. 20 Years ago, P&O were fantastic. What happened?????    

18 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In Darwin today. Hot and fiercely sunny. The ship is in good condition for her age. The public areas look more stylish than they did with Princess.

Food continues to be a bugbear for me. The free venues just aren't up to it. The food there is consistently disappointing. They have the ingredients, they have the workforce, I'm just coming around to believing that they need a Gordon Ramsay in the galley.

Or some extra staff so they can take more care. Perhaps a new menu or two would also relieve tedium in the galley.

I have felt like quoting Gordon Ramsey a few times while exiting the Waterfront.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, libbygirl1 said:

The most disgusting ship we have been on. A rusty ship, Terrible food, virtually no

entertainments, dirty, our balcony was so bad with Rust holes and God knows what was on the floor we weren't gamed to use it! If this is how they treat Aussie! We are only worth rusty crap to sail in. Never again! Spoke to a lot of people on board who were as shocked as we were. 20 Years ago, P&O were fantastic. What happened?????    

I wasn't expecting much after what everyone else said prior to sailing. But to be honest my only big complaint is the food. I thought the ship was in much better condition than the Coral princess in most places, both are rusty on the outside (hello, salty sea air) A lot of the public areas were in excellent condition, Blue bar, Vista lounge (wow, cant remember the real name of that lounge) and dining rooms. The entertainment was good for our 3 night cruise in spite of it being an 80s cruise.

P&O Australia has always had a bad name, I don't think its connected with P&O UK at all.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I honestly must wear permanent  rose coloured glasses because  I have never been on a disgusting  P&O cruise. 

But alas I guess I just enjoy being spoilt so much compared to all the mother and wife life at home that my expectations are not very high! 🤣

Edited by Mycruiseobsession
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 years ago, P&O had no rusty balconies - they had no balconies at all. I agree that P&O has slipped, but since around 2017. Trimming costs has also trimmed the overall experience. Comparing the ship condition of Pacific Explorer with Pacifiic Sun of 20 years past though, it isn't even close. Cruising on Pacific Sun was fine for us, but not because of the ship.

Ooh, fancy recalling Pacific Sun arrived in Australia as our flagship 20 years ago. Then I realise how far we have truly come. 

• Like 1