Is it true that on Antarctica landings, you are not allowed to sit down or put down your backpack?

Catlover54

I have seen periodic comments implying that visitors are not allowed to sit down or put down their packs during their Antarctica landings (which typically last 1.5-2 hours), not even to change lenses on a camera.

But I've also seen periodic comments from visitors advising that to get the most out the landing, and for people who don't want to hike a long way, one option is just to sit down at the landing site or nearby, and slowly just visually take it all in.

So which is it?

Or is it in theory forbidden but no one cares because on a practical level,  it doesn't really matter?

Or was it originally allowed, and now with bird flu concerns is not allowed?

I assume that all of the visitors, including their packs, are sprayed with disinfectant before they are allowed to board the Zodiak to go land, and vv.

I'm trying to understand both the logic and rules, regardless of rationale, so I can properly comply (different preparation is required if I can't periodically  sit or rest my pack). 

I brought up the question with one of the luxury lines cruise consultants recently when I was on the verge of booking this season and he'd never heard of such a rule (but he'd also never been to Antarctica), so he knew less than I did. 

5 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Or was it originally allowed, and now with bird flu concerns is not allowed?

This. It is a new restriction that only just started in the most recent seasons.

The regulations change all the time, and I have often run into outdated information online. For example, they stopped digging thermal bathing pools on a Deception Island around 15 years ago, but you’ll still see photos and mentions in content created by people who’ve never been (or haven’t been recently).

5 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I assume that all of the visitors, including their packs, are sprayed with disinfectant before they are allowed to board the Zodiak to go land, and vv.

I haven’t been down since 2020, but I don’t think this is the case even now. The potential side effects of aerosol treatments seem like they could be very problematic, especially with such frequent use.

What has happened in the past is that all material that will go ashore at any point is inspected and carefully vacuumed to remove any seeds or other organic material that may be trapped in seams and fastenings. Before each landing, visitors step into a tub of disinfectant to treat their boots. Upon returning to the ship, all mud and guano is rinsed and scrubbed off and the boots are disinfected once more.

The restriction on sitting and setting things down precludes the need to find a way to safely disinfect everything, since only your boots will be in direct contact with the ecosystem.

I have definitely experience some moments of quiet contemplation on the White Continent, and have even lay down in the snow at one point in the first trip to experience the environment through sound alone, so I had a bit of a negative reaction to this rule originally (also because I have low blood pressure and can get dizzy from standing too long). However, I’ve been down enough times over the years to see huge changes in the environment and understand firsthand the need to protect it. So my future quiet moments will be experienced standing.

• Like 1

Yes, it's true. We were there this past December 2023, and you're not allowed to sit nor drop your backpack or any other personal belongings on the snow.

Before the first landing, we got checked on all of our gear (jackets, scarves, hats, gloves, shoes etc, etc) to make sure we removed any debris, sometimes as simple as dog hair or your hair, grass, mud, or anything that can contaminate the Antarctica soil.
As strict as it may sound, I think preserving one of the most unique places on our planet is necessary.
For us on Silversea, it also worked the other way around, meaning that after any landing, you go through a sanitization process for your shoes or trekking poles before boarding the ship.
Hope this helps

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillyDM said:

Yes, it's true. We were there this past December 2023, and you're not allowed to sit nor drop your backpack or any other personal belongings on the snow.

Before the first landing, we got checked on all of our gear (jackets, scarves, hats, gloves, shoes etc, etc) to make sure we removed any debris, sometimes as simple as dog hair or your hair, grass, mud, or anything that can contaminate the Antarctica soil.
As strict as it may sound, I think preserving one of the most unique places on our planet is necessary.
For us on Silversea, it also worked the other way around, meaning that after any landing, you go through a sanitization process for your shoes or trekking poles before boarding the ship.
Hope this helps

Thank you for clarifying the rule and it does help inform me what is mandated.

However, if all your gear is "checked" (at least macroscopically) before a landing, including pants and jacket and pack, it would be interesting for me to see the data and scientific analysis  (if there is any) indicating that setting the same "checked" pants, jacket, and pack on the ground for a few minutes actually spreads bird flu, and that banning such activities helps preserve "one of the most unique places on our planet".  Alternatively, maybe dousing everyone's exterior in a disinfectant spray (like is used on the boots) would be even better?

If it is just theory, i.e.,  that there is potential harmful microscopic spread which *might* infect wildlife if one sits down (despite having been "checked") then arguably there could also be spread of disease just from the jiggling and shaking of a human's body while moving, mouth (while talking -- maybe better to remain silent?) and nose secretions (while sniffing or breathing),  and hairs and skin cells shaking off that occurs while walking across the landscape, and frankly maybe people simply shouldn't be there at all, no matter how much Antarctica travel  contributes to Argentina's and Chili's economies.  Or perhaps wearing a "clean suit" (like in some science labs) is the way to go, to protect the continent  even more?

Also, if there is documented microscopic risk of disease created by sitting or resting packs, then  definitely people should not be "camping" overnight there, as some expedition trips offer to potential customers, as it is impossible  to camp without putting things on the ground (such as your body). 

In any event, I think the cruise companies right now, with this season's new rules, should make *very clear*, *in advance* of booking and putting down often irreversible down payments, that one is not allowed to put anything on the ground, or sit down, if on land when walking around as long as 2-2.5 hours. This is especially important, in my view,   since these trips are mostly marketed to older people (not all of them fit and vigorous), and sitting down and putting packs down when tired or dizzy from exertion used to be allowed, and/or a reasonable person not informed otherwise will assume it is allowed). I've been to Antarctica marketing presentations on luxury cruise lines where they did the opposite (as late as fall 2023) i.e., push how *easy* it is to go to Antarctica, e.g., that seniors don't really need to worry about getting in and out of the zodiaks, and also no mention of the "no rest" rule.

1 hour ago, Catlover54 said:

Thank you for clarifying the rule and it does help inform me what is mandated.

However, if all your gear is "checked" (at least macroscopically) before a landing, including pants and jacket and pack, it would be interesting for me to see the data and scientific analysis  (if there is any) indicating that setting the same "checked" pants, jacket, and pack on the ground for a few minutes actually spreads bird flu, and that banning such activities helps preserve "one of the most unique places on our planet".  Alternatively, maybe dousing everyone's exterior in a disinfectant spray (like is used on the boots) would be even better?

If it is just theory, i.e.,  that there is potential harmful microscopic spread which *might* infect wildlife if one sits down (despite having been "checked") then arguably there could also be spread of disease just from the jiggling and shaking of a human's body while moving, mouth (while talking -- maybe better to remain silent?) and nose secretions (while sniffing or breathing),  and hairs and skin cells shaking off that occurs while walking across the landscape, and frankly maybe people simply shouldn't be there at all, no matter how much Antarctica travel  contributes to Argentina's and Chili's economies.  Or perhaps wearing a "clean suit" (like in some science labs) is the way to go, to protect the continent  even more?

Also, if there is documented microscopic risk of disease created by sitting or resting packs, then  definitely people should not be "camping" overnight there, as some expedition trips offer to potential customers, as it is impossible  to camp without putting things on the ground (such as your body). 

In any event, I think the cruise companies right now, with this season's new rules, should make *very clear*, *in advance* of booking and putting down often irreversible down payments, that one is not allowed to put anything on the ground, or sit down, if on land when walking around as long as 2-2.5 hours. This is especially important, in my view,   since these trips are mostly marketed to older people (not all of them fit and vigorous), and sitting down and putting packs down when tired or dizzy from exertion used to be allowed, and/or a reasonable person not informed otherwise will assume it is allowed). I've been to Antarctica marketing presentations on luxury cruise lines where they did the opposite (as late as fall 2023) i.e., push how *easy* it is to go to Antarctica, e.g., that seniors don't really need to worry about getting in and out of the zodiaks, and also no mention of the "no rest" rule.

A few reflective thoughts as someone who did an Antarctica cruise in January.  If you are going to enjoy a trip to Anarctica you have to be ultra flexible. The ability to be flexible and roll with the ups and downs is, of course, important for any international travel but especially so for Antarctica due to the unpredictable environment.  Due to weather and other factors, sites get changed/cancelled/modified as the cruise progresses.  Zodiac excursions get added/subtracted on a daily basis.  Some days end up with two excursions, some days end up with none.  Rules get modified as needed.

We Americans are not particularly good with flexibility and taking things as they come.  We demand to know exactly what will happen (preferably in writing) and require that any rules or adjustments meet our particular level of justification.  I would not recommend an Antarctica cruise for those who take this approach as they are bound to be frustrated.  If you are going to enjoy an Antarctic cruise, just go, be willing to adjust to each day as it comes, don’t overthink, and don’t over demand.  

On 5/4/2024 at 8:21 PM, Catlover54 said:

However, if all your gear is "checked" (at least macroscopically) before a landing, including pants and jacket and pack, it would be interesting for me to see the data and scientific analysis  (if there is any) indicating that setting the same "checked" pants, jacket, and pack on the ground for a few minutes actually spreads bird flu, and that banning such activities helps preserve "one of the most unique places on our planet".

A large part of this restriction is to prevent cross-site contamination. If bird flu makes it to one site (most likely through natural processes, independent of human visitors), it is important to keep it limited to that site rather than spreading it among colonies. There is not a lot of natural interaction between colonies at different sites, but humans tend to visit several of the same locations, thus becoming a much more likely source of cross-site contamination.

IAATO has a difficult job of balancing environmental protection with realistic logistics, and this is what they have come up with. It is not up to a single operator alone, so if you disagree with the approach, it’s best to take it up with IAATO directly.

Honestly, I disagree with any marketing that claims an Antarctic expedition is accessible to anyone. It can be difficult to climb in and out of the zodiacs in deep water or moderate swell. Since I’m on the shorter side of average, I remember struggling a few times even when I was barely over the age of 30 and reasonably fit. Of course people can opt to skip landings in difficult conditions, but the ship itself can still be dangerous in rough seas. On my last trip, we had so much movement that the desk chair was thrown from one side of the cabin to another. It was not surprising that someone broke an arm when she lost her grip on a railing (the doctor fashioned a sling for her to use for the next ten days).

Additionally, the extremely remote location carries a very high risk, and we are seeing more and more trips disrupted when a medical emergency forces the ship to return to civilization before schedule. It has long been standard practice to require a doctor-signed medical certification, but this hasn’t stopped people from taking on considerable risk to themselves to make the trip, potentially jeopardizing it for their shipmates as well.

If standing for an hour is a prohibitive challenge, I would definitely not recommend an expedition cruise, because you’re taking a huge gamble that you won’t encounter more demanding situations.